The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leased: NC - 13 y/o Chestnut w/Chrome QH Mare - Pictures

I bought this mare a year ago for my daughter as a hunter over fences. Since that time this girl has started showing some mild signs of sidebone (ringbone) on her right fore. On the flat she is sound and I want to keep her that way for as long as possible. She is beautifully trained, well mannered, kind, and wonderful. She will do anything you ask and is an exceptional babysitter to beginners. Rarely spooks and when she does it's very slight. With a more advanced rider she can become quite forward and loves to canter. I want her to go to a home that will let her do easy trail rides and have fun with her. She needs to be on fairly soft ground. No road riding. She has shoes with pads on the front feet and gets a daily joint supplement. Other than that she is healthy, current on everything, and sound. Fairly easy saddle fit. Easy, easy keeper. Needs to be in home with lots of turnout and some horse friends.

Pictures at http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...NAME=snapfish/

or http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/a...rberrymeadows/

Videos. These are a year old but still very accurate of mare's movement/temperment/submission. However I do not want this mare jumped except on rare occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sD81K-c384
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbuytqewm6A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zteuAtFznY

Send me an email telling me what you would like this horse for and where she would be kept. I would like to keep her fairly close but am open to anyone provided they can give her a very good home. References required. Will be checked. This girl deserves a terrific home. She'll make someone very happy.

Last edited by NCSue; Jan. 19, 2010 at 09:19 AM.

bump

This is a really nice mare! I used to own her and she has shown in QH shows with points and was a state 4-H champion a few years ago. She has a great disposition and deserves a good home! When I got her she had been taken bad care of and was VERY thin. GOt her back in shape and NCSue bought her for her daughter. It is unfortunate that now she cannot be jumped but she has lots to offer!!!!

bump.

Just a few questions about this mare as I may know of a home for her. Does she need to be stalled or can she be pastured with access to a run-in shed? Does she do well with other horses? Also, what type of shoeing does she specifically need and the average cost. I know of a great situation with 5 kids who ride on their 100 acre farm, trails only. The horses are pasture pets that are not used that much, and the kids love to bareback ride and just have low key fun with them. Please pm me if you think this might work. Located in NC.
    Keep in mind...normal is just a dryer setting.~anonymous

[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Friesiancross View Post
    Just a few questions about this mare as I may know of a home for her. Does she need to be stalled or can she be pastured with access to a run-in shed?

She'd do fine with a run-in provided they aren't in a super wet area of NC. With those white legs she does pick up fungus on occasion if in wet fields and she's not a horse that can go barefoot. My other concern is that she has always been in a structured program and seems to do much better with a regular schedule than letting her just run out to pasture and get ridden every so often.

Does she do well with other horses?

Yes. She is out with at least one other and usually with a group of 5 ranging in age from 30 to 5. Never gets aggressive or pushy. She falls middle of the group in heir hierachy. However I always bring horses into their stalls for feeding. She does love her food.

Also, what type of shoeing does she specifically need and the average cost.

She wears regular steel shoes on the front with a 1 degree pad on the right front. Farrier does not recommend she go barefoot since she has weak sidewalls -- they are getting stronger -- and she bruises badly. I pay approximately $65 every 5-6 weeks. Keep in mind that farrier fees can be different.

I know of a great situation with 5 kids who ride on their 100 acre farm, trails only. The horses are pasture pets that are not used that much, and the kids love to bareback ride and just have low key fun with them.

Jesse loves kids and trails. But she's not a mare that you can yell at or pull around by her mouth. So the kids, being kids, will need some supervision. For that kind of situation I usually recommend an older gelding. I'm really not sure how she'd work out especially since I don't have a large group of younger children anymore.

Please pm me if you think this might work. Locate in NC.
    I will send you a PM. Thanks.
    Last edited by NCSue; Jan. 4, 2010 at 08:15 AM.

NCSue,

Is Michigan too far away? I'm tentatively looking for my neighbor. She's a 9 year old girl that would LOVE her own pony/horse. She's currently riding one of mine and the horse would be staying with me until (if? ever?) they get their own place organized. The parents don't have the financial ability to buy one and so basically it would be "her" horse but I would have full responsibility for the financial upkeep.

My husband is a farrier, so shoeing isn't an issue. We might be an ideal fit for her, but it is quite a ways away. Drop me a PM if you think it might be OK, otherwise, no hard feelings. :-)

Thanks and I hope you find a good home for her.

Regent Lion. Sent you a PM. While I would ideally like to keep this mare close by I am willing to consider any good home.

bump bump bump.

Gah! I hate snapfish! I don't want to sign up to see pics, why do they do that?
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/a...rberrymeadows/

Pictures are also accessible on photobucket. The longeing video is new. Teen daughter longeing and friend playing with new camera so not the best quality but it does show her movement. Jezze can be ridden in either an english or western saddle.

Thanks for the PM link, wow she is a pretty, pretty horse! I will forward her info to some of my friends.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    Thanks for the PM link, wow she is a pretty, pretty horse! I will forward her info to some of my friends.
    You're most welcome and thank you for the heads up on snapfish. She is a beautiful horse.