The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Back on Track Hock Boots- Holes or No Holes?

I also just am learning about their products and am interested in the hock wraps. For what situation/purpose would you get the ones with the holes over the ones without? I am interested in them for an older WB with arthritic hocks. Thanks!

I'm wondering the same thing.

Bump
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I've got the ones with holes and as you've probably read from the other thread extremely happy with them.

I don't think it matters much holes or no holes. I selected no holes, thinking it could help fitting a big horse with giant hocks a little better and allowing a snugger fit, hence less chance of slipping down.
    My boy wears them overnight, so he lays down with them and I don't like the idea of the tip of the hock having pressure when folded underneath him.
    It may well be that sleeping with the full ones (no holes), would be exactly the same and as good, but the above was my reasoning for selecting no holes .

I like the solid ones for capped hock or horses that get sores at the tip of the hock (I have one, and I don't know how he does it). For arthritis it is personal opinion and many people been taught the hole ones are better to reduce pressure, but we must be careful to not assume wraps always stay right were we put them on at. Like said above, what happens if they slip down? I personally never use them over night with out a no bow beneath. I've never had any slippage with this program, so it might not be a valid argument. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Is there a published time frame for use? Meaning x amount of time is minimum for effectiveness? I'm just curious and if it was on their site I missed it.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I appreciate all the replies. They sound like they would be great to have! I e-mailed the company asking more specific questions so if I get a reply I will post here.
    I have a WB but I would not call him huge- average bone. I wonder how the sizing runs? Their site says Med is Horse size and Large is large horses, but I wonder if their Large is for Drafts?

TrotTrotPumpkin-the instructions I have said to start with a few hours and then work up to overnight. I've found (in my small 2 horse study) that my 21 y.o. mare does the best when wearing the products 24/7-esp in the winter. I do think I remember reading somewhere that wearing them full time diminishes the effect of the product(?) but that doesn't seem to be the case in my experience.

There is also a lot of confusion if frequent washing dimishes the effectiveness. According to the company, no studies have been done to address that so they really don't know an answer to that question. I guess frequent washing or just aging can cause the ceramic fibers to break down but I have no idea what the timeline would be. I do know that putting in the dryer will ruin them, however.

I don't have an answer to the sizing question-my guys are pretty standard.

Flyracing, the BOT hock wraps actually do recommend a standing wrap
    under it to provide vertical support

Smile Info from Back on Track

I just got a reply form the company. Thought I would share:

I would recommend the hock boots with the holes as they offer a much better fit. We will be discontinuing the ones with no holes. Studies have been shown that the increase in circulation is all around, throughout the hock with the boots that have the holes.
    These would be worth a try for your horse and most likely will give him relief from arthritis. You would probably need the large size.