The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Winter and horse shoes...need advice on grip and snow "balling"

I'm torn. Old BO was anti borium as she said she'd seen horses strain their tendons with borium on the shoes. She never had the farrier do anything (pads, etc.) extra. Snow balling was a bear, but the horses melted in their stalls at night. I no longer stall (usually) though...

Horse lives outside most of the time. He has aluminum rim shoes on the fronts and no shoes behind (in work and needs shoes). New farrier says borium at 4 points on the shoe (front and back) is the way to go. I asked about pads and he wasn't excited (for pour-in or any other type). He doesn't think the snow (pop) pads do much of anything.

Ugh. I was thinking rim pads might be a good thing to try for snow buildup but are certain brands better than others? I don't know if my farrier has used these either, are they hard to figure out?

Finally, what about the slipping issue? Although I didn't do MRI, it is possible this horse had some ddft issues last spring, so I'm concerned with too much "grip"...
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I use to have borium on 4pts on the shoe and my farrier put on 'snow pads' kind of a pad that had a ball in it. I have also sprayed my horses shoes with Pam and that has worked, but only long enough to ride them.

My horse has regular shoes in front and is not shod behind. I get the rim pads with the small borium studs for the snowy months.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

My horse lives outside 24/7......he has bar shoes up front in which farrier puts snowball pads on with borium and he is barefoot behind - NEVER had snowballs accumulate in front feet and he is able to get around just fine....

We occasionally do borium nails for specific reasons. last year it was a parade in NYC in march.

Other than that, aluminum in front, nothing in back. I LOVE the bubble/popper snow pads. We call them "snow insurance" put them on and guarantee that you will not need them. Leave them off and it'll snow 3 feet every week.

My farrier does two small studs on the heels of each front and a rim pad. Never had snowballs in the horse's feet with that set up.
    Used to use the popper pads but wasn't too thrilled with the way they cover the entire sole and snow can get underneath...no way to dry them out.
    When I was young we used Crisco. A thick shmear inside the hoof and no snowballs. Not that we had tons of options...
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quick question for those who posted that they have small studs - I posted another post asking about this as it's my first year doing snow "shoes".

Do you ride all year round with the studs? Is it ok to continue training/riding in an indoor if they have the small studs in their shoes? Any dangers? My arena is very soft (angular sand/rubber mix) so I can't imagine too much torque from that, but I'm worried just the same! If anybody rides INSIDE but also has winter shoes/studs on their horses for a hard winter OUTSIDE, can you tell me if you notice any changes?

Yes, maybe I should have clarified that I do only ride in an indoor in the winter and the horse does have to cross concrete to get to his stall....if that makes a difference.
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

You don't keep the studs in year-round. They are also known as drive-in studs or pin studs. They're only about 1/8" tall so you won't have to worry about torque or damage to your footing. You won't notice any changes.

Boyfriend shoes a lot of foxhunters that go out in any and all conditions. He puts the rim snow pads on with a drive in stud in each heel. He is not a fan of the "popper" pads for the reasons Misty Blue mentioned above...snow/dirt/etc can get under the pad and freeze into a solid lump, causing sole pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanerpus View Post
    Quick question for those who posted that they have small studs - I posted another post asking about this as it's my first year doing snow "shoes".

Do you ride all year round with the studs? Is it ok to continue training/riding in an indoor if they have the small studs in their shoes? Any dangers? My arena is very soft (angular sand/rubber mix) so I can't imagine too much torque from that, but I'm worried just the same! If anybody rides INSIDE but also has winter shoes/studs on their horses for a hard winter OUTSIDE, can you tell me if you notice any changes?

Please excuse my last post. I just re read it and realized I said "year round." Oops!

I meant, for those who put in small drive in studs and use rim pads, do you ride indoors all winter? I just had this put on my pony for snow season (probably for two cycles, then back to regular flat shoes) and plan on riding her all winter in my indoor. The outdoors are treacherous here as we are built into the side of a steep hill.

I just was curious about the snowpads and studs during winter yet still riding inside on sand indoor footing.

Thanks and sorry about that!

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Yes, maybe I should have clarified that I do only ride in an indoor in the winter and the horse does have to cross concrete to get to his stall....if that makes a difference.
    Same Here

I had good luck with the rubber bubble snow pads.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

rubber bubble snow pads.
    But can you say that out loud 3 times fast?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Our horses wear some kind of studs year around. We do not think the borium is as good for the legs and joints on hard surface, as the pin studs are. Pin studs have a micro-slip, in how they work on hooves. You can't see or notice it, but it allows the horse leg to stop easier, than the instant stop of borium or drill-tek on shoes used on man-made surfaces.

For winter, they put a collar around the pin studs so they protrude a little more than the plain, summer pin studs do for pavement grip.

We also use the snow, rim pads under shoes to keep the ice and snow out of hoof. We used to use the snow bubble pads, but as mentioned, they collect a lot of junk under the pad, which you can't get out. Easy to clean hooves with the open hoof bottom that snow rim pads leave.

Our horses get good grip with the ice studs, but not a problem for use in arena sand footings. Studs are so small, there is really no change to the horse gait on sandy footing.

Our own horses might shorten stride while trotting on ice, but they sure have all the grip needed to keep the shiny side upright. Noticably more confident in moving about the winter fields, ice melt flows that freeze overnight, with their studded shoes on.

Ours wear the same package, snow rim pads, drive-in ice studs on shoes, that the Waterloo Hunt horses wear. Waterloo goes out every scheduled day unless it is sheet or crusted ice, which cuts up the hounds feet. Weather doesn't stop them! Horses are shod to be safely ridden on the variety of ground and snow they encounter in our Michigan winters.

Farrier will need a drill-press set up to make the holes straight in the shoes for drive-in studs. No borium for us, not enough grip on snow and ice, while there is too much grip on man-made surface of the road or cement aisle in the barn. Love the pin studs.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    But can you say that out loud 3 times fast?
    As it turns out, no. And my coworker in the cube outside my office can now attest to this. NOTE TO SELF: shut door before doing things like that!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

If the footing is good and soft, boriums shouldn't hurt tendons. This CAN be an issue riding working on hard ground like pavement because the shoe stops dead on a rough surface, while the leg doesn't. Just leading across a concrete surface should be fine. I used boriums for years up North with no issues, reset every 6-8.

I personally like the full "popper" pads MUCH better than rim pads-every horse I have ever used rim pads on (and we had 10+ at one barn I worked at) still get snowballs in the center. It does come out more easily, but is still a PITA. Full pads should be fine as long as the farrier packs them correctly underneath (no different than full pads at any time of year!) and they are repacked every few weeks, when the shoes are reset. I have never had any issue with things getting under a properly packed pad at any time of year.

If you absolutely cannot pull shoes, I'd go with boriums (the 4-spot, not the studs, which catch even more and can be harder on the legs and just the dots) and snow pads in front. If you want to avoid snowballs in the unshod hinds, slather the soles with either Vaseline or the old, solid Hooflex daily (my farrier recommended this and it does work if you apply daily.

If you live in an icy area, here's a trick for paths that get slippery: Pour a bucket of warm water over the ice and immediately put a layer of shavings (or kitty litter or sand) on top. This way they will freeze in and provide traction. If you just put shavings, sand, etc on top of the ice, they slip on the ice and don't provide nearly the level of traction. You want just a thin layer of water and add the traction immediately, before the water freezes solid!

Great information, thanks. Answered all the ?'s I had. We are using the pin studs with the little collar and rim pads so I feel like I understand the purposes more and can feel comfortable riding in my indoor all winter and still giving my horses traction outside. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Our horses wear some kind of studs year around. We do not think the borium is as good for the legs and joints on hard surface, as the pin studs are. Pin studs have a micro-slip, in how they work on hooves. You can't see or notice it, but it allows the horse leg to stop easier, than the instant stop of borium or drill-tek on shoes used on man-made surfaces.

For winter, they put a collar around the pin studs so they protrude a little more than the plain, summer pin studs do for pavement grip.

We also use the snow, rim pads under shoes to keep the ice and snow out of hoof. We used to use the snow bubble pads, but as mentioned, they collect a lot of junk under the pad, which you can't get out. Easy to clean hooves with the open hoof bottom that snow rim pads leave.

Our horses get good grip with the ice studs, but not a problem for use in arena sand footings. Studs are so small, there is really no change to the horse gait on sandy footing.

Our own horses might shorten stride while trotting on ice, but they sure have all the grip needed to keep the shiny side upright. Noticably more confident in moving about the winter fields, ice melt flows that freeze overnight, with their studded shoes on.

Ours wear the same package, snow rim pads, drive-in ice studs on shoes, that the Waterloo Hunt horses wear. Waterloo goes out every scheduled day unless it is sheet or crusted ice, which cuts up the hounds feet. Weather doesn't stop them! Horses are shod to be safely ridden on the variety of ground and snow they encounter in our Michigan winters.

Farrier will need a drill-press set up to make the holes straight in the shoes for drive-in studs. No borium for us, not enough grip on snow and ice, while there is too much grip on man-made surface of the road or cement aisle in the barn. Love the pin studs.