The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default dead mouse vent

Ugh, I have a dead mose some where in the house. I have looked but I can not find it. A few candles later and I have turned the house into a flowery, death, smelling stink pot and I may have to move if it doesn't get better.

Bring in a dog or cat who can nose out a stinking varmint! This has happened to me before and it's anything but pleasant and, sorry to say it, may involve some "remodeling" of the house if you know what I mean......

ugh, that's the WORST.

we had a dead packrat - found him, and his nest of shredded newspaper and dogfood kibble, under the lazy susan in the kitchen - he never touched a thing in the cabinet, but the smell was so pungent that we just started pulling the oven and cabinets away from the walls. there he was dead on his thrown. for months afterwards we were still finding his stashes of dogfood in shoes, boots, between towels, etc.

here's to you finding your vermin soon!
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Check the insulation in your stove. We had a mouse crawl in the back of the stove and die. We never realized it until one day when we were cooking chicken. Neither of us could eat chicken for months...

uggh! I am so so sorry. I don't have anything to add except I know how horrible it can be. I had a dead mouse in my car. I kept looking for something nasty the dogs had thrown up.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Try to look on the bright side... at least it's not a bigger animal.

I think I'm off chicken, too - barff.

We have a whirlpool tub and I am sure there are dead rodents under there - but by the time we were ready to pull the whole thing apart, the smell left - I suppose it sort of dried up. I'm not going to be looking if and when we remodel that bathroom and look under the tub at what I'm sure will reveal some mummified rodents.

I had a JR and when we went to visit some friends she was so embarrassing - she'd go to the kitchen sink and start digging under the sink counter, clearly pointing to mice or rats under that part of the house. I think the house should have been condemned.

I had mice die on the kitchen counter behind stacks of plates or other stuff, as revenge for being poisoned.

I had a huge rat die in my under sink cabinet, behind my cleaning supplies...took me a few days to find that one.

I second and third the check your stove. I must have mouse central in mine, I was not able to pull it apart, so I know only use the range and a small pizza oven for baking (no 20lbs turkey in this house)

happy hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I will add a suggestion to check your vents: we found a very dead rat (ok, two in different vents) after 10 days of searching the barn office. The worst part was the teasing of it all: we'd come in and think, "Oh, the guys must have found the Dead Thing. It doesn't stink so bad in here..." but the day would warm up and the Ghost of the Dead Thing would waft in the full glory of rodents passed.

We did note wryly that we would have found the rats once they started oozing out of the vents. Ick ick ick ick ick!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

"Anticipating" the annual battle for supremacy as the weather gets colder myself...

Good luck in your quest for corpses, but as this thread isn't horse-related, we're going to close it.

Thanks!
    Mod 1