The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse shopping? Anyone with experience with Virginia Sport Horses?

We are about to start shopping for a new (made) hunt horse, and came across a website for Virginia Sport Horses. They have lots of part drafts that have done some hunting. It sounds like if you make an appointment with them, they show up with 5-10 horses to try, and have a vet on call for a pre-purchase if you like one. Has anyone used their services, or know of any horses that came through their training program? We're looking for a real steady-eddie, could do a little dressage and low-level eventing with, too. Any advice?

I would strongly encourage you to read the WHOLE website carefully. I haven't looked at it in awhile, but it does seem they have changed a few other their policies from a few years ago. I've heard wildly different takes on their services...some people love them, some people hate them. Not much help, I know. The one thing I will say is that they do seem to spell out EVERYTHING on their website and while I don't agree with some of their policies, there right there in writing so it's not like you can be surprised! So, before you commit, just take the time to read ALL the info on the page. If you think you are comfortable with the policies, etc, it might be a worthwhile endeavor.

There have been some discussions on this board about them . . . try a search.

If I recall correctly they import "Canadian warmbloods" from PMU farms and feedlots, and have a sketch vetting policy, but there was a heated discussion with people on both sides.