The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lay-up boarding in Middleburg/The Plains

I'm looking for a barn that can manage lay-up care for a horse with a suspensory injury who is currently on stall rest in the Middleburg-The Plains area. Any suggestions?

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Patricia Ramey, Hunter's Ridge at Blue Ridge Farm just off Rokeby Rd in Upperville.
    Cell 703-973-1140
    home - 540-592-3508

She is fabulous. She is very experienced and has excellent judgment. She has been a vet tech for several well known local vets. I've been there as a regular boarder for 2 years and had 2 foals raised there. Plus my riding horses are there. She is very concerned about how the horses feel both physically and mentally. She's taken care of several of my horses in a layup situation and they couldn't have been taken care of better. She's proactive. If she sees a change she is concerned about, she'll contact you and not wait for you to ask her about it. I had a "special needs" mare who needed a lot of managing due to a chronic injury and if anything changed with that mare, Patricia would text me about it.
    My colt was just gelded and the first week I got a text everyday on how he was feeling, and how swollen he was, etc. and what she was doing to manage him.
    She contacts me anytime something is up with one of my horses. And if I don't hear anything, I know everything is fine. IMHO, this is priceless.
    Plus ALL the stalls are foaling stalls. How cool is that? BIG stalls. The farm is generally very quiet which is great for a lay up.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x