The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those that understand/know pedigrees...

How does this one look to you?

What he looks like does not matter in this case, so really, this is kind of just for fun

He's coming back into my barn anyway- just has started into work after being off and out at pasture for a long time. I sent him to Beth Perkins for a couple of months to assess and he got her go ahead.

He arrived last winter as part of a package deal, and looks like he is going to stay with us. Quiet, and great attitude, but has body soreness issues that we are working on right now. I really know nothing at all about blood lines, so...anything anyone knows? thanks!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/tahoe+joe

I'm not too impressed with his first few generation bloodlines, but as you go further back I start to like them. His sire line is amazing. Gone West, Mr Prospector, Raise a Native, Native Dancer in the one line are all really nice race horses (not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I've seen really nice sport horses come out from this sort of line too) I'm jumping up and down that he has Nashua in him. This to me is a real plus as all the books I've read on Nashua have had nothing but positive things to say about him. Also Secretariat is another good sire & race horse. His dam line I'm really not impressed with. The only standout is Native Dancer.
    I've seen some really nice sport horses out of the same lines that this boys sire has. Lots of good eventers, jumpers, and even a few dressage horses. I like these studs because they seem to throw hardy horses, which for a TB is important.

I hope this helps some, it's just an opinion on my likings, but it's good to gather lots of opinions.

3/4 of his pedigree are excellent eventing bloodlines. Topline is not, in my experience.

But always remember, phenotype is much more important than genotype.

H

Thanks! Kind of what I was thinking- way back there is some nice blood, and I have to say it seems that 2nd and 3rd generation that they were improving the mare.

He is not one that I chose, just kinda fell in our lap, so won't be a Taco or a Doc, but seems like a level-headed nice kinda guy. We'll see!

Annika, I thought you were scaling back the number of horses you have!

I hope that pony knows how lucky he is to be in your barn.

Now as to the very little bit I know about pedigrees...

I'm delighted to see Mr. Prospector and Raise a Native only once. That's good news, and becoming increasingly unusual in American TB pedigrees, as I understand it. I also seem to remember that TV Lark and The Minstrel show up in a goodly number of successful sport horses. Vagely Noble, Lyphard and Turn-To are good names to have in a sport horse pedigree, And I love any horse that has Swaps in its breeding.
    Last edited by frugalannie; Nov. 30, 2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Keep referring to the pedigree
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Thanks FA! Secretariat, I know that you always have very nice horses so I'll take that 75%!

FA, No, no more horses for me right now! This is one of the two that appeared in my barn a year ago. The grey stallion went to live with my vet- he is such a calm, kind horse she wanted him for her daughter. They are working things out, and he is in (gasp) western tack, doing the western jog thing.

Tahoe was the one I really knew nothing about at all- came needing a lot of time off, which he got- about 10 months out to Dr. Green. I sent him to Beth, so she could assess him. I just don't have the time. This is my final semester of prereqs before school really begins-I get 4 months off of full time classes and work.

So, I am bringing him back into work- hoping that A)he's really easy and he can find his own new person, or B) he is really easy so I can jump on him and have a nice ride, rather then a stressful one. I think it's the latter given what Beth has said. He has really nice gaits, and great attitude. No idea what he thinks about jumping

Taco is with CookiePony, Doc is with our mutual friend down in Tryon, and Skeeter also sold last winter. I have Reason and Wrainthur still here, but...it's a lot less then the 6 that I had!

So glad that Beth liked him! I recognize some names with my extremely limited TB sporthorse pedigree knowledge-- Never Bend and Tom Fool, plus Sir Gaylord/Turn-To.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I agree with the 75%, but would make it 90%. His tail female line is the Agnes family, and it's one with a long established history of being able to pass on good genes. Been doing so for some 150 or so years. Just a super broodmare family.

Anytime you have Pharly in a pedigree you've got a good thing for sport. Comely, his dam, was a daughter of Boran, sire of Laudanum, the great French TB sport horse sire. Her bottom line is equally good. I know Comely has produced daughters who have themselves show jumped and have produced show jumpers.

If Mr. P is in a pedigree through a son, it's better that the son come from Gone West or Forty Niner or Miswaki (sire of Clayton Frederick's Poilu) or Fappiano. Agree with the rest of everyone's comments about the other lines. VERY NICE.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

thanks, Viney, you made me smile! Like that stamp of approval! I'll post pics as soon as I can get some. Hope he does well.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Too bad he's not a filly. He has breeding potential out the wazoo. The sire's female line is incredible and goes back to Friar's Carse through a full sister to War Relic. All of the mares on top to Martha Sophia are very fine indeed--TB royalty. The ones on the bottom are also fine, but not as outstandingly fine as the ones on top. OTOH, the tail female line is full of iron race horses.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

On the dam's side, the bloodlines are very impressive! The Minstrel and Never Bend and on the sire's side, you've got Native Dancer and Lyphard

That's good TB blood...
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? - The horse. (R.Duncan)