The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I think my one boarder is unhappy. What to do?

After a boarder starts to make negative comments about the care of their horse and the mud in the paddocks and then tells others not in the stable that the care is expensive do you keep that boarder? This is a private stable that keeps one boarder that comes every spring for six months. The horse is a hard keeper and very expensive to keep(wastes as much hay as it eats) and I have only kept the horse because the rider has been riding company. I am thinking the arrangement may have out lived its convience. What would you do?

Fill the vacancy before she comes back in the spring. Seriously, if she's unhappy, it's not a good fit and she won't magically get happy and it will become toxic.

I would just tell her that it isn't working out and that she needs to make arrangements for her horse elsewhere. Keep it professional, impersonal, and succinct. If you have a decent setup, you will find another boarder aligns better with your farm.

Well I don't think that border is being fair. Have they done everything to help this horse e.g. have its teeth done by a reputable equine dentist, tried a panacur powerpack ruled out ulcers, anything which may make this horse an easier keeper? I would politely give this border notice keep emotion out of your discussion.

Ditto Nipntuck. If you are hearing rumors from ONE boarder, then she's starting them.

Doesn't seem worth it to me, either. When I ran a commercial boarding stable I put up with a bit...now that I run a private (mostly to have someone who can care for the critters when the SO and I both need to be gone) one, I don't put up with any of that sort of crap.

To be fair this horse is taken care of beautifully.....he has mouth problems from several years of neglect so his teeth are done twice a year by a vet (equine dentists are illegal here...so sad) and he was power packed last year and is wormed on a cycle every three months. He is just a hard keeping nervous energy eventer who right now looks the best he ever has.....he has lots of weight and muscle now but it took amazing amounts of feed to get him there and keep him there.

Costs go up and in the spring I had to increase board by 50.00 and since then there seems to be a simmering level of dissatisfaction. I have thought about this a bit and the reality is it is her choice to keep a hard keeper.....it is not my choice and I have no control over escalating costs to keep a horse. I can not absorb these costs for a horse that is not mine. He has to be maintained on premium feeds as he simply will not eat "regular" feeds. I do not mind the care he needs and I do not care about making any money on the horse but he needs to at least cover his costs. I am in a position that I think she thinks I am making a bundle. I am sad about this but feel that he is alot of work and the "company" I get is not worth these expressions of dissatisfaction. I think I was on my way to making a decision but hearing that I am too expensive has helped tipped the scale. My barn is my familyroom really. It is where I spend my relaxtion time and I like it to be a happy place. I just hate to end something that seemed to work so well for a period of time but it is no longer working. I don't want to be considered mean however but it is something that has to be managed without emotion as someone suggested.

Somehow that last paragraph needs to be communicated to your boarder.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I agree with this. I'd start by having a informal chat with her and finding out what is upsetting her. You could always ask her to provide her own feed and extra hay if needs be.

If that doesn't work out, you still have the option of asking her to leave.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Buy or breed another for yourself to fill the stall?

I agree with the problem becoming toxic ~ life is too short for an unhappy boarder in a family barn of happy people and their horses ~ you do not need this boarder.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

The potential toxic nature of what it could become is my biggest concern. I want to remain friends.

Breeding I would be homeless!!!! No not homeless....dead.

If its not worth it dont do it.

You dont owe anybody anything except for certain speshul people. When the boarder leaves this year simeply say I have decided not to board anymore (or something similar). You dont have to say anything else. If you want to explain do but dont feel you have to.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by Treasmare2 View Post
    The potential toxic nature of what it could become is my biggest concern. I want to remain friends.

Breeding I would be homeless!!!! No not homeless....dead.
    Have a chat with her, find out what's bothering her and go from there. It can't hurt, and you can always get tougher later if you need to.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

You should have a chat with her. Getting things out in the open can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    If only there was some way to do this! I can't figure out a way either.

I'd have a sitdown with her. We've had to do that in the past with boarders, and see whats really up. Especially since you guys are "friends", you should be able to just say "Hey...heard you were unhappy. What can we do to fix this for both of us?". Good luck. Openness is the best policy, at least imho.

I say get rid of her and her horse, she should have come to you first about her dissatisfaction.

Instead she talked about it behind your back, then she is not the kind of person you want at your barn. End of story...

Our boarding contract includes free choice hay (up to 40 lbs) and up to 6 lbs of Safe Choice or TC Senior per day. We also have round bales in the pasture in the winter. Anything more...boarder pays cost plus 5%. Supplements must be bagged or in SmartPaks. That way we don't get stuck paying for large amounts of expensive grain. If they want alfalfa cubes, whatever, the boarder is charged for it. That way we're not losing money and the boarder feels like he/she has some control over the costs.

Agreed with the above. "boarding" doesn't mean unlimited feed/grain for *every* horse. There has to be a cost ratio involved and what a 'normal' horse is expected to eat. I've been in many barns where higher quality grain cost extra or we had to provide our own -- they'd still feed it if it was bagged up for them to dump into the grain bin, but we all bought and provided the 'extras' ourselves. Some horses need it, some don't. It's up to the owner to provide those 'extras' when they have a horse who DOES need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Treasmare2 View Post
    I am in a position that I think she thinks I am making a bundle. I am sad about this but feel that he is alot of work and the "company" I get is not worth these expressions of dissatisfaction. I think I was on my way to making a decision but hearing that I am too expensive has helped tipped the scale. My barn is my familyroom really. It is where I spend my relaxtion time and I like it to be a happy place. I just hate to end something that seemed to work so well for a period of time but it is no longer working. I don't want to be considered mean however but it is something that has to be managed without emotion as someone suggested.
    You don't need any more reason or explanation. She is causing you to be uncomfortable in your own barn. If she wanted to find a way to make it work she would not be trash-talking you behind your back.

It's sad when a relationship that once worked no longer does....but it's no longer working. That will most likely not change. It's over. It's been over, you're both just hanging on because that's what people do.

You will feel an incredible sense of relief when she is gone. Your barn will be a happy place again...