The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My horse is a jerk!

So I decided to turn my one guy out in the first snow fall because he loves the snow. It was a little muddy but nothing that they hadn't been out in before Well I checked on them after reading the paper and they were fine, maybe a little muddy. So I go back in to pick their stalls, come back out a half an hour later and they're both standing by the gate. The grey no longer had a blanket on Both are pretty wet and steaming. Great, there goes my chance at a shower before the Thanksgiving gathering. Took them both inside put coolers on and then went in search of the blanket. He had ripped the front straps and then just took it off. It was COVERED in mud like he had drug it to he** and back. I told him if he ruins the blanket he now has on that that's it and he's going to have to be cold for the winter
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

I'm not sure what the point of your post is. They're just horses and you seem to be applying human emotions to them. Chill and enjoy the fact that you can have them.

It's Thanksgiving after all.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I'm not sure what the point of your post is. They're just horses and you seem to be applying human emotions to them. Chill and enjoy the fact that you can have them.

It's Thanksgiving after all.
    It was meant to be tongue in cheek about how the grey horse will always be muddy

Having owned a gray and boarding at a barn that has six grays in stall board and two in pasture board... I totally got the humor. Nothing gets dirtier than a gray horse.

Heck, I have a bay and I got the humor...
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

I think she was joking ....duh

Like the rule that says never leave a rug over a stall door and turn your back - she pulled it off and stomped it all over her paddock in the rain. Ruined. She is grey, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I think she was joking ....duh

Like the rule that says never leave a rug over a stall door and turn your back - she pulled it off and stomped it all over her paddock in the rain. Ruined. She is grey, BTW.
    I could totally see my grey doing that

I don't know about you but my grey hopes to be a pinto... a medicine hat manure pinto that is. He'll find the nice steaming fresh piles to use as pillows

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSTB View Post
    I don't know about you but my grey hopes to be a pinto... a medicine hat manure pinto that is. He'll find the nice steaming fresh piles to use as pillows
    It "ain't" just the grays. Once had a paint, beautiful boy and great horse BUT that was the nastyest horse I've ever seen. Stayed coated in mud all the time even when there was no mud to be found. Not sure how he managed that.
    A friend told me that the light colored horses did that so that they wouldn't draw the attention of preditors!!
    Guess that explains it.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

When I started reading about the mud, then blankets off and steaming, I was thinking "oh no, someone got hurt"! Be glad and laugh it off!

My current barn has more grays than I've ever seen in one place. At one point, 3 of the lesson horses and 3 of the boarded horses (out of a 25 stall barn) were gray. The barn isn't devoted to any breed that is more commonly gray; we have everything from QHs to saddlebreds to warmbloods. One of the trainers joked that because gray is her least favorite color (due to the mud factor), that's what she ends up with. It's karma.
    BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

My grey likes to think he is the phantom of the opera... when you look at him on one side he seems clean, then he turns his head to face you and he has a mud "mask" covering one side of his face, haha.

lol, my grey mare rolled and got so dirty that i couldn't find her!!
    i kept looking for her and could only see two chestnuts and a light brown horse.
    i wondered if the barn mgr had switched her turnout and forgot to tell me.
    turned out she was the brown betty-thoroughly coated in brown clay from the tips of her ears and all over her belly. silly horse.

You know they are really dirty when you bring in your BLACK horse.....and he has clumps of mud falling off him and no one could bare to put him in his stall because he is so dirty. And then....he took 2 bathes to clean up semi ok....and get it so his mane and tail were no longer large mud bats ready to knock everyone out!

Oh and the black and white paints come in black only.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedSorrel View Post
    My current barn has more grays than I've ever seen in one place. At one point, 3 of the lesson horses and 3 of the boarded horses (out of a 25 stall barn) were gray. The barn isn't devoted to any breed that is more commonly gray; we have everything from QHs to saddlebreds to warmbloods. One of the trainers joked that because gray is her least favorite color (due to the mud factor), that's what she ends up with. It's karma.
    BES
    Our grays are similar. 30 stall barn, about 20 in pasture. We have the following grays right now:

Pepper - QH/Arab cross
    Baldric - TB
    Mido - QH
    Danny - TB
    Hot Sauce - 3/4 Arab, 1/4 Saddlebred
    Pistol - TB (maybe part warmblood, not sure exactly)
    Rocket - Paint
    Amaera - Arab (but she left today)

Quote Originally Posted by broughton_sporthorses View Post
    My grey likes to think he is the phantom of the opera... when you look at him on one side he seems clean, then he turns his head to face you and he has a mud "mask" covering one side of his face, haha.
    OMG when I get to the barn I'm always fooled! I look at him and go "oh good you're clean today" and then look at the other side I always wonder if he was on the opposite side of the aisle if he would roll on the other side?

The last horse that I used to show was a gray...

I'm glad that my mare is solid bay with no white at all!

Our gray seems to feel left out - of our four mares, she's the only one that is not bay. Rest assured, she attempts to rectify this situation every time she goes out in the field. And she would almost get away with it too, were it not for that tell-tale yellow tail.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

How about a chesnut that wants to be gray? Nate ALWAYS has to go down to the bottom pasture and roll in the puddle of gray mud. He will come back up looking (and SMELLING) like the swamp thing.

One time he came up and was so nasty as I was hosing off the layers of mud his skin bcame bumpy and "wiggly", he had large TADPOLES all over him! I was gooed out by that, ick!! Pretty creepy looking...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.