The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spud&Saf View Post
    I love my Childeric .
    me too!
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

I love my Childeric too and it will have to be removed from my cold dead hands....I got it from you Running Fox...about ten years ago now. It fits everything in the barn and my hunter will protest if I put any other saddle on his wide back. Nice to hear they are used by so many important riders. Thanks.

Default What does Rodrigo ride in?

Ozone asks what Rodrigo Pessoa ride in. He rides in a Pessoa saddle and always has despite all the rumors. Occasionally he rides in an old Hermes on one horse.
    Actually now he is probably using his NEW saddle that he designed. It is really paired down with no rolls ; just a knee pad. He has worked on this himself with the manufacturer and passed samples around to his friends for approval.
    It will be available starting in February.
    It may be of interest to all reading this that several years ago a VERY well known rider won about $250,000 in 6 weeks on the cheapest, entry level Pessoa model. So I guess you can ride in the GP in a Pessoa.
    In fairness I need to tell you that I do have something to do with Pessoa saddles on a commercial level.

Sportsfan46,

Are there any flat seated Pessoa saddles? If so, which model?

Also, what is his newest model called?

Thanks. I used to ride in a Pessoa but prefer the flat seats saddles these days.

Default Pessoa Models

The really flat seated model was discontinued a few years ago, due to lack of interest.
    The new model is not too flat, not too deep, slightly more shallow than the other models.
    It will be called the RP Ultimate. It has gotten rave reviews from every one that has ridden in it.

Running Fox Guest

Clarence your boat has just come in! We just received an old 17" Pessoa, flat flaps with a pencil knee roll on consignment. It has been sitting in a basement for years and came in so clean, no smell, without a bit of "ick", and just needed a little oil. It is one of the old ones with "Made in England" stamped on it. CON023 if you want to see a picture.

Georgina Bloomberg- County Innovation

Margie Engle Goldstein- County Innovation
    Hunter Rider - Scott Hofstetter- Antares for some , hermes on TB's
    I think it depended on the string of horses he has,

Laura Pfeiffer- Richard Castelow, Deveocoux-[can't spell!!] Butet

Tommy saddle is Richard Castelow that is a very flat saddle made to his specifics, I sat in the similar model. Maybe if I sat longer I would ride better!!!!!!!

I myself can't beleive as a saddle lover the differences in panel fit, yeah sure we love how they put us BUt if you can ever flip over a Richard Castelow saddle and compare the size of panels that make contact with the horse back OMG!!!

Have had County alos , all I can say if it fits your horse they are the best company I have ever dealt with. Great leather too.

To kitsunegari- What's wrong with Prestige saddles??
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Default THANKS AND A QUESTION

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan46 View Post
    Ozone asks what Rodrigo Pessoa ride in. He rides in a Pessoa saddle and always has despite all the rumors. Occasionally he rides in an old Hermes on one horse.
    Actually now he is probably using his NEW saddle that he designed. It is really paired down with no rolls ; just a knee pad. He has worked on this himself with the manufacturer and passed samples around to his friends for approval.
    It will be available starting in February.
    It may be of interest to all reading this that several years ago a VERY well known rider won about $250,000 in 6 weeks on the cheapest, entry level Pessoa model. So I guess you can ride in the GP in a Pessoa.
    In fairness I need to tell you that I do have something to do with Pessoa saddles on a commercial level.
    Thanks Sportsfan for letting us know you are involved with Pessoa. Such a breath of fresh air. So many reps post on this forum trying to be sneaky and make comments that seem to be from the typical rider. Appreciate your honesty and your help as a credible resource for information.

So, now what is with this new saddle that Rodrigo has created? I have heard something about it earlier but not much more on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage.For.Life. View Post
    To kitsunegari- What's wrong with Prestige saddles??
    Seriously. I have one, and both my horse and I absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by forestergirl99 View Post
    I know I also ride in one and I love it! I also Love butets and Childerics.

Yann Candele rides in butets I am pretty sure.
    Last edited by sansibar; Oct. 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM.

Default DOES PESSOA PAY RIDERS TO RIDE IN THEIR SADDLES?

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan46 View Post
    The really flat seated model was discontinued a few years ago, due to lack of interest.
    The new model is not too flat, not too deep, slightly more shallow than the other models.
    It will be called the RP Ultimate. It has gotten rave reviews from every one that has ridden in it.
    I have be reading that top riders are paid to ride in the brands that they ride in. Is that also true of Pessoa ?

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    I hear the Arc De Triomphe brand is now carrying top of the line saddles that are very comparable to the top brands but a bit less expensive. I have seen them in person and ridden in them and they are gorgeous and feel great. I think most people know and love their bridles but are unaware of their saddles.
    +100 !!

Jean-Pierre from ADT visited my barn today and brought about 8 saddles with him for me to try during a lesson. I found the saddles to be extremely well balanced and comfortable. Fortunately fit both the horse and myself. These saddles are very well made and are a work of art.

There are numerous flap, seat, panel and leather options that can be combined to suit the individual horse and rider. As a shorter person who has trouble finding anything that fits, I was pleasantly surprised to discover how well the ADT saddles worked for both me and the horses I ride.

One thing I found very interesting is that the "KB" block which is integrated with the knee pad worked MUCH better for me than the knee roll that is sewn onto the panel.

I think I'll be able to find a great saddle at a price that is more affordable than trying to achieve the same with Butet, Devoucoux or Antares, etc.

Just wanted to add that I just bought a 2002 used Devx.
    Not sure if the year makes a difference with the manufacturing going on then.......
    But my god. I am 49. today Oct 23rd.
    I have to think about what makes me feel confident and safe.
    I had no idea a saddle would make such a difference. (Buffalo/Barrititz)

The *Divo* does for me. Fit's my horse which is #1. Fits me even better, which is secondary. I love it.

Hunter and Equ riders at a BNT that is sponsorded; CWD and Devoucouxs.

I think the best way to find a saddle that works for you is to ride in others saddles (like your trainers etc) to see what feels right.
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

Quote Originally Posted by forestergirl99 View Post
    i think it's to each his own...I have ridden in many Prestiges and liked some and not liked others. I am currently working on getting a CWD because I bought my TC brand new in 05 when they were really the "in thing", and sure it was great when I was doing jumpers and 15 yrs old (6 yrs ago), but I grew and I feel like it makes me perch on my hunter (not good when he always jumps HARD). Besides, it's too small for me. I can't comment on any other brands... but the TC brand new was sooo soft, no breaking in required. We dealt directly with Tad and had it semi-custom...it's so comfortable, just not right for me right now. He is such a nice guy to deal with; you can call him up anytime and he'll answer questions for you and is such a gentleman. That's all the experience I have with high end saddles.

The other reason you wind up with "everyone" in a barn riding in one particular saddle is that is what they are exposed to. My trainer rides in CWD. I rode in her saddle one day, loved it and bought one. Needed a new one for a new horse, so I sold my old one in the barn. We have kids grow out of them and they sell them, very often in the barn to a new horse owner or lesson person. I think almost 100% of the people who show with my trainer now ride in CWD. The rep is at our barn at least once a month so it makes it easy to try them. I thought about trying some different brands when I needed my new saddle but the rep was there, had saddles to try, and I had a new one in six weeks. I love my CWD, but part of it was convenience.

I love my Childeric M so much that I've been trying to track down the person I sold my very first one to years ago to see if she still has it and would be interested in selling it back to me

I also have an older Stackhouse that I like to school the babies in, and despite it's age and lack of care it received before I got it, it's pretty comfy.

I used to have a Devocoux (circa mid 90's) that I liked as well, but I didn't like the ones I tried over the last few years.

I secretly miss my first two saddles I ever had....the original Crosby Hampton Classic (that was THE saddle to have when I was a kid) and an old Pessoa A/O.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by atouchofclass View Post
    I have be reading that top riders are paid to ride in the brands that they ride in. Is that also true of Pessoa ?
    I don't know about these days but back when Pessoa first started making saddles, Nelson gave my husband at the time two to ride in and three to sell. They sold right away. This was about 1986-87.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

When I went looking at saddles for my other horse I took templates of his back to Rolex! I sat in everything for $500 - $5,000! Boy, was my butt confused but the templates did not lie. So many of them I liked but didn't work for my horse. I did find one that was close so we sent the templates back to Va and they checked to see if they had one better then at the show. While I waited, I had County, Antares and Devoucoux out to see my horse. All said oh, must be custom.. I had a problem with that.. So I waited for this "other" saddle to show up. Well, It did and was almost perfect from the moment we put it on his back! It was a L'Apogee...we love it. Unfortuantely, he has been retired now due to injury but then I got a new horse. Completely different but for some reason the saddle is very close to fitting. He needs to add some weight and a better top line and then it will work better. So for now we use the shims in the correction pad and off we go....The saddle has worked well for us and the service was wonderful...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"