The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down So I bought a saddle on craigslist (what did I do??)

I inquired about a saddle on craiglist, the lady had advertised as a certain "custom" brand. She could not provide a pic so I went to look at it. I bought it and brought it home, and emailed the "saddler." They said it definitely was NOT their saddle and was upset that the woman used their name to sell a saddle that definitely was not theirs. I am a little peeved, should I inquire as to why the woman thought it was this brand or just let it go? I realize I have little recourse and should have done my "homework" a little better, and am SOL for paying for a saddle that is probably a cheapie, but I could not find many visual examples of this brand on the internet and really don't know a lot about western saddles.

So maybe this is just a vent, but whatever. What goes around comes around??? Oh dear.
    Last edited by equusrocks; Nov. 28, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
    "Wost Case Ontario..."

Yes, there is nothing you can do. Esp. since you looked at it in person and then decided to buy. I can't think of any good quality saddles that are not stamped or have some other identification as to their manufacturer. More than likely, the woman who sold it was probably told by someone else what it was and she had no clue....
    Does it have any identification at all? Maybe it is not a clunker...

Yes, "JM Saddlery" or "MJ Saddlery" The J and M are superimposed on a silver oval on the seat...??? Is that the word? She told me it was custom made by MJ Liggett Saddlery. I figured if it didn't fit, I should not have too much trouble finding a new home for it. I really didn't think it would *not* be what she said (polyanna I am).

I can't find anywhere that shows that logo as being something not worth more than a few hundred buck.

Just frustrated. I realize "caveat emptor." I'm usually a little more careful, I guess I figured someone "local" would't try to pull a fast one, especially since it's such a small horse world up here. Maybe you're right and she didn't know, but I emailed her a couple hours ago with the info from the saddler, and she has not responded.
    "Wost Case Ontario..."

And she probably won't either. If I see saddles on CL or ebay of a brand I've not heard of, I do some research and see what other people think about them. I feel your pain, it sucks to think you are getting one thing and it turns out to be something else.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

[QUOTE=equusrocks;4525481][I]I inquired about a saddle on craiglist, the lady had advertised as a certain "custom" brand. She could not provide a pic so I went to look at it. I bought it and brought it home, and emailed the saddler. "[/I]

Just maybe you should have done this before you went to look at it, since you, by your own admission ,"don't know a lot about western saddles"?

"but I could not find many visual examples of this brand on the internet and really don't know a lot about western saddles."

IMO, most people selling things on Craig's list don't have much of a clue about precisely what they're selling. For example the guy trying to sell used stall mats for 75.00 EACH! (they are 35.00 NEW at TS) They simply have, found, or 'inherited' something that they think ought to be worth something, and list it for whatever they figure they can get for it. If you don't believe that, check out all the "6 YO unbroken stud - leads,ties and breeds, very gentle, handled by my 6 month old daughter, great horse for anyone" ads on CL

It's like an auction - if you know what you want, and what it's worth, and what you're willing to pay for something, you can, with shopping, get a good deal. If you don't, you'll end up, most frequently, overpaying for junk.

If it's a reasonably nice saddle (I assume it is since you saw it and bought it anyway), and works for what you want it for - what's the big deal anyway? Unless you're hung up on 'name' brands, in which case, not to belabor a point, you should have done your research before you went out there.
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

How does it ride?
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

The saddle was misrepresented. Does ebayhave a policy regarding this practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    The saddle was misrepresented. Does ebayhave a policy regarding this practice?
    she didn't buy it on e-bay - she bought it on Craigs List.
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

One of the reasons craigslist cautions people against paying to have unseen items shipped is to prevent fraud since they don't have the safety net that Ebay does.

Since you looked at this item in person and purchased it I'd say it's your loss. Next time do more research on what you want to purchase and what it should look like/what the markings are.

Ok, so I can take that. I should have insisted on pictures and inquired before buying. BUT, ethically wouldn't it be wrong of me to try and play off the same thing on the next less than knowledgable person? I think so! So why is it ok that I paid 3x's what the saddle is worth? Either way, I'm sure I'll manage.
    "Wost Case Ontario..."

Why would pictures have done you any better? You saw the saddle in person before buying it-- if you didn't like it then, you could of walked away. You could tell the quality of the saddle when you saw it in person, and you decided the quality was worth the price-- hence why you purchased it. I wouldn't pay $4k for a fancy french saddle if I didn't think it was worth the $4k price, just because it was X brand. You should not be concerned with teh brand, but the quality-- and should have paid for what you deemed to be the level of quality of the saddle.

And yes, it would be wrong for you to relist the saddle and call it a brand name that you've figured out that it is not.

I agree- if I go see a saddle, regardless of the brand - I am already going to know if I am willing to spend a certain amount or not- you obviously were willing to spend the "certain amount" and did. You must have felt that it was worth what you paid for it because you purchased it. Do you have pics of it?

Who cares what brand it is? How does it look, feel, ride and fit your horse? Those are the important things really - not the brand. I would never pay X amount for a saddle just because it is X brand. I would pay what I had budgeted to find a saddle that I felt comfortable in and fit my horse - whether it was a $5,000 custom job or a $1000 not custom job. I was recently at a horse show where a couple of vendors were selling their custom saddles - new and used. IMO after looking at some of their used saddled I thought they were out of their ever loving minds - $1,500 dollars for a used saddle that looked like it should get $300 on ebay - totally ridiculous. You went, saw the saddle, apparently liked the look of it. Don't kick yourself in the behind because it's not X brand - just be careful the next time. Who knows you might have gotten a better saddle than you think... there is a lot of tack out there - some are more popular than others - due to marketing or whatever - that doesn't mean it is the best quality

Agree w/ the others BUT it couldn't hurt to email or call the woman and ask if she'll take it back given the information you've uncovered. She will probably say "too bad so sad", but some people would take the item back and give a refund.

It's ok because you made the mistake. You actually saw the saddle in person and purchased it then later found out it was a different brand. Maybe the seller misrepresented it, maybe she was as confused as you were.

The point is you were there in person. The seller didn't send you false pictures and then sent you a different saddle. Nobody made you purchase it.

If you hate the saddle because it isn't the right brand advertise it for what it is, take the loss, and pay attention next time.

Arrow

Once I bought a "made in England" Passier english saddle. The man told me it was made in England because it was an "English" saddle It was $100 I could not get over there fast enough!

I bought a Stubben Dressage saddle at a local auction because "someone sewed the flaps straight down, so it is somewhat defective" $25.

I Bought older Crosby Competitors TWICE for next to nothing because "they are supposed to be light oil" They were high quality bridle leather. Both were bought for under $200 from AQHA people who want trendy not magnificent.

I bought a Beval off of CL last year for $175 because the guy had never heard of it before - it was the ex-wife's saddle. The ad said "English Saddle best offer". I asked what kind, size, pictures, etc - I got no pictures, no answer on size, but he thought he saw the word Seval or serval on it- I could not get to the trendy Gold Coast location fast enough!

I have bought and sold more than my share of saddles in my life time. I look before i leap. I have passed on many "too good to be true" deals and misrepresented deals. I have driven hours only to discover busted tress and worn out leather. Those i leave right where i found them.

It is buyer beware. If you drove to see than you should have noticed the flaw. If you did not know what it was you should have waited.

MOST importantly How does it ride? My favorite saddle to ride western is a 1040's era Montgomery Wards. Not valuable to anyone but me - but I LOVE that saddle! It rides like a dream and is priceless too me.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post

My favorite saddle to ride western is a 1040's era Montgomery Wards. Not valuable to anyone but me - but I LOVE that saddle!
    My first store-bought saddle was from Montgomery Ward, but i didn't know the company had been around that long!!!

Just curious as to what you think it is/isn't.
    JM Capriola Co
    MJ LIGGETT
    MJ Lessard
    Rocking MJ Rodeo Gear

Quote Originally Posted by equusrocks View Post
    Ok, so I can take that. I should have insisted on pictures and inquired before buying. BUT, ethically wouldn't it be wrong of me to try and play off the same thing on the next less than knowledgable person? I think so! So why is it ok that I paid 3x's what the saddle is worth? Either way, I'm sure I'll manage.

To answer this question, yes, it would be unethical for you to try to sell this saddle as something that you now know it is not. More than unethical.

The person who sold it to you was probably clueless about saddles. Even if she was not however, you did go look at the saddle and had an opportunity to verify what the saddle was.

I'd just chalk it up to experience, hope the saddle worked for you and the horse at least for a while, or if not just sell the saddle as a nice (I'm assuming) no-name saddle.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Quote Originally Posted by Ltc4h View Post
    Just curious as to what you think it is/isn't.
    JM Capriola Co
    MJ LIGGETT
    MJ Lessard
    Rocking MJ Rodeo Gear
    Can you post a photo of the mfg stamp? Maybe someone here can help identify!