The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanketing for dummies continued...

To recap: my horse has never been blanketed, always grows a decent winter coat, and has been brought in from the really nasty weather (windchill, freezing rain, etc.). I'm moving to a new barn that seems to have great care, but has more horses, most of which are blanketed (almost no one at my old barn blanketed except the TBs and old-timers). So I figure I might need to do some blanketing in case he's out in inclement weather.

Does this sound logical?

Normal cold weather, snow, etc.: no blanket.
    Cold rain, a bit windy: no fill rain sheet.
    Windchill, general nastiness: medium waterproof turnout.
    Really icky windchill: medium turnout plus fleece blanket liner/cooler underneath.

I was hoping I could get by with just buying a medium turnout then and a rain sheet, because I already have a fleece cooler. In ungodly weather I'm sure they'll be inside (WNY rocks). I've decided not to clip him at all--I'll be riding regularly, but I should always have enough time to dry him out well, and he doesn't tend to sweat much anyway.

Any thoughts?

A medium weight turnout, rain sheet, and fleecey underliner should be just fine. Between the three there are enough combos to combat most of the weather up here.... particularly if he will be stalled and turned out indoors in really inclement weather as most at boarding barns are.

Hope you are feeling ok too!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Or since I live in WNY too and have the same weather, you could get just one of these..
    Bucas Smartex all in one..It is so much easier...
    I love mine!

Thanks FG and Jubilee!

That Bucas looks super-awesome... little too expensive right now since I don't know how he'll be on blankets, but definitely something I'll consider in the future... looks very nice.

I get by with an unlined rainsheet and a med weight wind/waterproof blanket. I have several of each in case they get wet, or really dirty. I have Ramo heavy weights that I only use when its really really frigid. I have fleece liners that Ive never used but it makes me feel better just to have them. My guys are outside w/ access to their stalls w/ shavings 24/7.

If they are unclipped and rather fuzzy, I think that you would be better off with nothing rather than just a rain sheet. When they have their winter coat all fuzzied/fluffed-up, they have much more insulation than just a rain sheet since the sheet has no insulation and flattens down their own insulating layer.

But I haven't had an un-clipped critter to deal with in quite a few years for this reason. (well not really, we work too much over the winter to keep the full coat) It gets so much more complicated when you are trying to blanket an unclipped horse.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by StellaTMK View Post
    If they are unclipped and rather fuzzy, I think that you would be better off with nothing rather than just a rain sheet. When they have their winter coat all fuzzied/fluffed-up, they have much more insulation than just a rain sheet since the sheet has no insulation and flattens down their own insulating layer.

But I haven't had an un-clipped critter to deal with in quite a few years for this reason. (well not really, we work too much over the winter to keep the full coat) It gets so much more complicated when you are trying to blanket an unclipped horse.

Anyone agree/disagree?
    Absolutley agree. When they are clipped I just layer blankets. No worrying about the hair fluffing warmth stuff.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Quote Originally Posted by StellaTMK View Post

Anyone agree/disagree?

I agree totally on the unclipped coat in regular cold weather, which is why I'm able to resist putting a blanket on him when it gets really cold--I know that his own coat is better than an artificial one in most conditions. However, bad windchill or rain/wind can negate all the insulating properties of a horse's coat, which is why I'm debating the various sheets/blankets... I was hoping a light sheet might be enough to protect against the coat getting wet without being so heavy it would tamp down the coat too much, and when it gets really nasty, the warmer medium weight or medium weight/fleece would be warm enough to make up for the loss of insulation in the coat once it's weighed down.

If he's brought in for really nasty conditions, or has a run-in that he'll use, that's fine... but if he is outside I want to have some protection, and his new barn doesn't have run-ins for every pasture...

I agree that you want to blanket your critter when it gets rainy or wet and they lose their insulating properties anyway, but just think that you may have to add more than you thought since you have to replace what you took by tamping down the hair.

It sure gets tricky, and here is another consideration add to the confusion, if they have a free choice hay all night, that is like adding fuel to the furnace, they will keep their own heat better from the inside out. If on a really cold windy night if they don't have hay in their bellies, you may want to add a blanket as well. Conversely, you could skip the blanket if they have the "fuel".

Hey, I have weenie OTTB's, I clip and layer. But try to remember that they like 45 degrees like we like 70 degrees.

When we domesticated them, we took away a lot of their natural defences, but we also sometimes forget they are not human. I sometimes have a hard time with that one