The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I need some product feedback from those of you that wash their own blankets.

Those of you that wash your own blankets, what do you wash with. I am trying to get nikwax, but I do have a bottle of leather therapy. Anyone use either of these products? Feedback? Do you use something different?
    Thanks!
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Wash with Rambo wash. Waterproof with Nikwax.

I've been happy with Eqyss Microtek Blanket wash. Regular detergent will ruin the waterproofing quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    I've been happy with Eqyss Microtek Blanket wash. ...
    Ditto! I love the Eqyss Microtek Blanket Wash. Have been using it for several years now. It cleans really, really well. I let the blankets soak overnight in the washer (with the Microtek). They come out cleaner than with anything else I've ever used. And it does not harm the waterproofing because it is not soap. Won't irritate horse's skin either.

It's also antimicrobial. I use it on leg wraps, saddle pads, boots, etc. GREAT STUFF!

I have used the Nikwax wash, Rambo wash, and Eqyss blanket wash -- I am sticking to the Rambo wash these days. I always thought the Nikwax stuff didn't rinse out as well (blankets always felt slimy and it made my washer smell chemical-y afterwards). The Eqyss seemed a bit too sudsy for my front loader. The Rambo seems to do the best job without getting too sudsy for my washer or ruining the waterproofing. I buy the gallon size when I can find it either on sale and/or free shipping and it seems to be the most economical as well.

I like the Eqyss. My blankets come out nice & clean.

I use the Nixax wash and then waterproof with the silicone spray sold at Walmart for waterproof/breathable materials.

I've been using Rambo Wash forevah, and it's fabulous. My Rambos last 10 years before needing re-waterproofing, as long as I follow instructions and wash in cold water using the Rambo Wash. The old Rambos (for a couple old horses in my family) were re-waterproofed by the blanket service several years ago, so I'm not sure what they used. Those Rambos are probably 15 years old now.

Since I only have one horse currently, the $8-something bottle of Rambo Wash lasts me a long time. In the past, I've re-waterproofed a Weatherbeeta rainsheet (which I still have) using Nikwax, but it didn't really last too long despite my soaking the entire exterior and really rubbing it in with my hands. The Nikwax is non-toxic, IIRC, but really expensive. I've heard that Walmart's Camp-Dri spray is hands down the best for rewaterproofing horse blankets. Have also heard that it's less toxic than some of the other waterproofing sprays out there, so I may try this next for the WB rainsheet. Not in a huge hurry to try this, though, because my horse wears Rambo XLs now and the WB rainsheet is a spare that I just keep on hand. But try doing a search for Camp-Dri.

Also, for what it's worth, a friend sent her horse's blanket off to the blanket service last winter, and when it came back he broke out in hives. Even after the hives cleared up (with meds) he was intensely itchy for MONTHS afterwards. She eliminated a few other things first, and it took a while to realize that it was the blanket causing the problem. Contacted the blanket service and discovered that they'd used Nikwax waterproofing wash. Kinda jives with what horsepoor said about it leaving a slimy residue behind.

I used to wash mine in the laundrymat in big washers with regular detergent.

But now, I wash them in my own washer, reg. detergent and always hang to dry.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I've used Nikwax and regular detergent, and not noticed a difference. I do throw in a splash of Simple Green as well.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I just use regular laundry soap and hang to dry. Haven't had any waterproofing issues yet. Knock on wood. :-)

Those of you who use regular detergent without any trouble have been REALLY lucky so far. This goes against washing instructions for most brands (IIRC, anyway) - and I believe that if a Rambo is washed this way before the 3-year waterproofability guarantee is up, it will void the guarantee and the owner of that blanket won't be able to get it replaced in case of a leak.

I've seen several barnmates so far who have ruined the waterproofing on their blankets in just one wash using detergent. The blanket brands were (if I recall correctly) Weatherbeeta, Dover, and one Rambo. The Rambo belonged to the aforementioned friend with the itchy horse whose blanket was washed in Nikwax waterproofing wash by the blanket service. Apparently the blanket service automatically does this for all blankets (even tho the Rambo didn't need it yet). Once she determined this, she washed it in the barn washing machine using detergent and it was completely ruined after that. I don't know if she used hot or cold water. We are in the PNW so we really need ultra-waterproof blankets here.

I use regular detergent at the laundromat. However, my horse is brought in if it starts raining, so I don't worry about the waterproof qualities of a blanket.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Goo
    I believe that if a Rambo is washed this way before the 3-year waterproofability guarantee is up, it will void the guarantee and the owner of that blanket won't be able to get it replaced in case of a leak.
    Oops!

Seriously though, I've used regular detergent on all my Rambo and Rhino rugs for five years and the pony comes in out of the rain dry (which is good, because he likes clover too much to walk into his nice dry shed.) I did re-waterproof them all around year 3, but I wash these rugs several times a season.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Have always used regular laundry detergent to wash my blankets/sheets. And if they were particularly nasty, I have been known to add bleach to the wash as well LOL (I am a CLEAN freak. If I cant wash it with soap and water and a little bleach everynow and then, I don't want it) Have had Dover, Weatherbeeta, and a fantastic blanket from more than 10 years ago from State Line Tack. I would re-apply waterproofing after the last wash every Spring before I put them away although they never leaked. The State Line Tack blanket is still in use by the people who ultimately ended up with my Arab guy.
    Dawn