The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you ship exotics?

When you move your farm, how do you ship your exotics?

We are talking big move, across the pond and border.

Horses, cows, cats and dogs, got that covered but what about the birds and the turtle?

Depends on where you are heading? We had a macaw when we lived overseas and when returning to the States, he needed to be quarantined for a month in Miami. We owned him when we lived in the States, no problem taking him out but not so on the return trip. Don't know about turtle but I imagine there will be some hoops to jump through.

actually, at this time the destination country (Germany) has no restrictions on the import of not for sale turtles and parakeets. I know, both would be cheaper replaced, but I just happen to like those guys.

Did you get a shipper, or stick them in a carrier under the seat in the plane?

Call the airline. You can probably take the bird on the plane with you in a carrier... don't know about the turtle. I don't see how he could be a problem... but I don't know much about turtles.

I'm pretty sure that within the US you can ship turtles via US Mail and/or UPS. For an international shipment, it will obviously be more complicated. You might also be able to ship them as cargo like a dog flying with you, but you'd need to worry about temperature being OK for your specific species. Maybe contact a mail-order turtle vendor and see if they can give you some leads?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Poultry ship domestically via USPS all the time. Adult fowl have to be shipped Expre$$ Mail in a fancy carrier called a NEST - it has special microfiber inserts in the air holes - avian flu doncha know? Now, internationally I just don't know. And I don't think I've heard of small flighted birds going USPS, only poultry (which goes from guineas to swans, adult turkeys are too big I think) You'd probably have to ask the airline. Or for a parakeet there must be an online fanciers' board that could answer the question.

Your turtle could probably do just fine stuffed in a carry on. I have RES and when I got them they were in an empty plastic cookie bucket, trying to crawl out. They'd been dry for about four hours and did fine. There IS an online RES board that could answer the question. Box turtles can't be much different.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Poultry ship domestically via USPS all the time. Adult fowl have to be shipped Expre$$ Mail in a fancy carrier called a NEST - it has special microfiber inserts in the air holes - avian flu doncha know? Now, internationally I just don't know. And I don't think I've heard of small flighted birds going USPS, only poultry (which goes from guineas to swans, adult turkeys are too big I think) You'd probably have to ask the airline. Or for a parakeet there must be an online fanciers' board that could answer the question.

Your turtle could probably do just fine stuffed in a carry on. I have RES and when I got them they were in an empty plastic cookie bucket, trying to crawl out. They'd been dry for about four hours and did fine. There IS an online RES board that could answer the question. Box turtles can't be much different.
    *facepalm*

why did I knot think of the online community centered around those critters!

Yes, we got a RES, mean as the dickens, but so neat to watch.

Being dry a few hours isn't all that bad, though airplane air is notoriously DRY.
    off to search for forums....

(I wish I could just throw them in the back of the truck, but alas, it has poor swimming capabilities )

Stick a wet towel in your Turtle's container. Should help to keep things nice and moist.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Airlines and Airline Regulations changed big time post 9/11. The overwhelming majority of Airlines will NOT allow animals of any kinds as carry one any more. Though my mum pulls off taking her PITBULL not only on the plane but he gets to rider with her in the front of the plane (more leg foot for the dog to lay down). "Assistance Dog" paperwork makes it happen. The airlines don't ask questions, they just want to see the document. Though Im pretty sure their is no such thing as a "assistance turtle or parakeet"", lols. But definetly check into EVERYTHING before hand. International makes it much more likely that their will be lots of red tape. Just remember to dot all your Is and cross all your Ts so to speak.

Service turtle!

Thank goodness, I have plenty of time

(to teach him tricks )

We used a commerical carrier-like FedEx but it was one that went out of business years ago. Flying Tigers, I think. Apparently, when the macaw arrived at the (miniscule) airport on the island where we lived, he was hanging onto the side of the cage saying "Far out!".