The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Great Companion Gelding For Free- Central VA

I have a 16 hands 20 year old registered Appendix gelding, who has been retired from the Hunters, (more recently) and Eventing....this summer he was still showing in 2 1/2 and 3 foot classes.....Lightly ridden and jumped since September 2009, but I don't want him used as a lesson horse.....He is due a good rest and retirement as he worked hard for many years.....

He is a great guy with perfect manners.....gentle and a good companion in the field....he has front shoes but they are coming off.....No special feed issues...He does get a joint supplement as do all our horses.....

New coggins and fall shots, teeth floated in Spring, 2009....comes with turnout blankets etc

I am just west of Richmond VA in horse country and I am happy to transport the horse a reasonable distance......
    Last edited by Berkley; Nov. 27, 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: location in title
    Berkley

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    He is due a good rest and retirement as he worked hard for many years.....
    So why don't you give him one?? Pay retirement board, which is usually less than full board, assuming you don't have him at home. If he's given a lot to you, aren't you the one to retire him?

Default Helping Hand

I brought the horse to our little 20 some acre farm three months ago to help out friends of my young daughter...Their parents could no longer afford horse ownership and or to board the horse....They have one daughter in college and one in private school; the latter gave up riding.......This gelding has been owned by two families in his life.....Just a nice guy who deserves a forever home and I have taken care of his immediate vet needs

I just sold two horses recently ( TWH and OTTB ) which I rescued and nursed back to health ( Sales Price = $1.00 )....I have younger horses coming in to start and train, my daughter's competition horses are boarded at a training barn and I have a full plate as a semi-retired Dad/Widower with a twelve year old, who was adopted in Russia at ten months of age.

I stepped up to help a family but I am not the final solution.
    Last edited by Berkley; Nov. 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    Berkley

Sorry, it was not clear from your original post that you were helping someone out, it sounded like the horse was yours. Still, there are very very few homes for pasture ornaments, have the owners contacted the first family to see if they want to help their old horse?

Good for you for trying to help. I'd screen people carefully before placing the horse, though. Good luck to you, and to the horse.

Sent you a PM, I'm in Goochland also. Hope I can help.

No advice. But it sounds as though the horse is lucky to have you help him transition into the next phase of his life.

I met him today, he's a cute horse. He may be coming to live either at a barn I ride at or possibly at my farm. We're right down the road from each other-- small world, sometimes, COTH!

And yes, Berkley appears to be one of the good ones, thank you for taking him in when he needed someone!

Default Enjoyed Meeting You

Thanks for visiting and we enjoyed meeting you too.....Perhaps it will be a happy ending.....

Like you it was a first for me to see a horse being put through dressage movements in a pasture by a twelve year old little girl riding bareback with only a halter and lead rope as a makeshift bridle.......My daughter is a great little rider and the horse is special.....I think it was only the second time she had been on him.....

Hope to hear from you soon
    Berkley

Default Still here

This nice fellow is still waiting for a home....several folks have expressed interest, but there as been zero followup....

With the rehab TWH and OTTB in new homes ( both healthy and being ridden ) and my little girl's hunter and eventing horses in private boarding barn, this fellow is mighty lonely here on our farm......

Again I can provide vet and former owner contact availability.....and I can transport within in a reasonable distance
    Berkley

Default Happy Ending

I was all set to keep him forever.....

Thursday evening I got a call from someone on this board who had talked to the former owners and trainer.....They wanted this wonderful guy and I delivered him yesterday....

He is in good hands and just six miles from our farm.....

Thank you folks for the interest and helping hand

Berkley
    Berkley