The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

wbs4me Guest

Default Can anyone recommend a stallion?

I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions for my newest moose? She is just lovely and I think she will make beautiful babies. I am open to any suggestions...
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=d32217fb04

wbs4me Guest

Oh, and please include pictures....

Well you definately want a sire that loves timbits so that he can pass that temperment along to the babies

wbs4me Guest

Yes, we would never want to lose that. Responsible breeding is about so much more than just confirmation.

Is Bullwinkle still doing live cover or is he just available via frozen semen? I realize he is a US bred moose, but he is so well known and will appeal to the US market if you are looking for a resale.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

but, why would you breed that moose? She is swaybacked! and one ear is larger than the other

((jk, jk, just playing the 'breeding is irresponsible' thread villain))
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

This guy would be perfect for your girl...just look at that topline and shoulder!! And those antlers!

http://myanimalblog.files.wordpress....bull-moose.jpg

I don't know if you would consider breeding to get a moose/draft cross - we have several and the cross is producing amazing results.

We have a wonderful warmblood/draft cross stallion that would create a wonderful cross with your girl.

here is a link to some pics of our moose/draft crosses

The talent is amazing - and they don't even need bridles - so you can save on tack - no bits or bridles necessary.

http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/images/...008-2moose.JPG

http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/images/...0-%20moose.JPG

Prodomus - how is your new training programme where you are desentizing the meese using llamas? Are you making progress?

Actually yes - thanks for asking - took my dressage meese out on a hack on the weekend and we ended up going into a field where the llama was loose - my meese cross decided to chase the llama and then they had a showdown.

It was very exciting and I never fell out of the saddle once through the whole thing - by the way - my meese cross won. That llama is now staying on his side of the fence - we think

What a wonderful story!! And I'm certain that your dressage moose will be unflappable having taken on a llama - but what if a llama turns up when you are actually riding a test at a show? Will you be able to hold him?

Quote Originally Posted by prodomus View Post
    I don't know if you would consider breeding to get a moose/draft cross - we have several and the cross is producing amazing results.

We have a wonderful warmblood/draft cross stallion that would create a wonderful cross with your girl.
    If you want something lighter for your gal, consider crossing with a caribou (the critter on our quarter for anyone not familiar with this noble beast) rather than a moose.

Especially if you are considering the US market, don't rule out Popeye Karibou. He throws hunter Caribou crosses that are beeeooouuttiffullll.

If you are wanting to race her then you could cross her with Summer Caribou, I hear his son just won the Queen's Plate.

Are you planning on imprinting the calf or using Natural Moose-Man-Ship Principles?
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

If you crossed with a beaver, you would get sleeker coats and they would not have an issue with crossing those cracks in the polar ice caps.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

You might want to consider breeding for color! A zebra/moose cross would then give you a Zoose! Colorful and a strong personality!
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

OP, I'm sure she's a lovely pleasure moose. She has a kind eye and looks like a comfortable ride, but she's certainly nothing special. Save the potential stresses and medical risks and purchase a weanling if you'd like a baby to bring along.

That said, if you insist on going through with this, please use a sire with commercial appeal and accomplishments of his own to ensure that the resulting foal will have a better shot at life should you need to sell at some point.

I'm sure that no on here will argue with me when I say that Great Northern Moz is the most accomplished sire available in NA. He reliably passes his excellent conformation and his widespread success in multiple disciplines makes him very appealing. He's capable of the refined movement required for upper level dressage, and the brute strength required for the draft work he was bred for. He's worth every loonie.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_mar2007/LoggingMoose.jpg

Shame that they couldn't have given him a clip and bath before the publicity shots.

You need to add some color to the mix, try this guy!
    http://media.alaska.com/smedia/2008/...filiate.23.jpg
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    OP, I'm sure she's a lovely pleasure moose. She has a kind eye and looks like a comfortable ride, but she's certainly nothing special. Save the potential stresses and medical risks and purchase a weanling if you'd like a baby to bring along.

That said, if you insist on going through with this, please use a sire with commercial appeal and accomplishments of his own to ensure that the resulting foal will have a better shot at life should you need to sell at some point.

I'm sure that no on here will argue with me when I say that Great Northern Moz is the most accomplished sire available in NA. He reliably passes his excellent conformation and his widespread success in multiple disciplines makes him very appealing. He's capable of the refined movement required for upper level dressage, and the brute strength required for the draft work he was bred for. He's worth every loonie.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_mar2007/LoggingMoose.jpg

Shame that they couldn't have given him a clip and bath before the publicity shots.
    OMG!!! My husband is complaining I'm too loud, I'm laughing so hard.

OP, don't breed to that moose. He obviously has HYPP. I bet Rubyfree owns him or something. Alert the mods--advertising!
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/