The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vegetarian Holiday Main Dishes?

I've been a vegetarian my whole life, with no plans to change. But I do have to admit to being jealous of the people who do eat meat, around the holidays---there's just something about a big turkey/ham/whathaveyou in the center of a table that completes the picture.

So, fellow vegetarians of COTH, what do you do as THE main dish during the holidays? A giant bowl of pasta? A big Hubbard Squash, stuffed with stuffing? Any of the vegetarian "meats"? (Like the tofurkey, holiday roast, etc)

Or do you just say "F the center dish!" and celebrate with lots and lots of delicious side dishes? (Which I think everyone can admit are the best, anyway!)

I've been vegetarian since 1996. I did try a tofurky a couple years ago, but I had the same problem with it as others have with turkey...just too much of it and I got sick of it after a few days. I say "F the center dish". There is SO much good stuff to eat at Thanksgiving...I certainly never go hungry. I do try different versions of stuffing/dressing and interesting veggies to add variety. Today's menu includes the following aside from the turkey: mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green salad, gingered cranberries, cranberry salad, scalloped corn, rolls...and two kinds of dessert. whew!

Quote Originally Posted by pacificsolo View Post
    I'm not a vegetarian, nor do I play one on TV, but I love to eat dishes sans meat. I frequently make a spinach lasagna that friends and family swear is the best they have ever had (perhaps it's the wine they are served with it?), and I also make lots of root vegetable dishes. Portobella mushrooms are supposedly the "vegetarian steak", so I would utilize that well and often! Just brush olive oil over THICK slices, sprinkle with ground sea salt and broil for about 7 minutes - it really is like eating steak! Texture and all!
    Oh no, believe me, I'm not stuck on actual vegetarian dishes! Well versed in that area! I just didn't know if someone had some BIG spectacular dish that they use as their "substitute turkey." I love lasagna, but somehow it just kinda blends with the rest of the table, while the turkey sits there looking all....main dishy.

I want to become a Vegetarian but I don't know where to start. Making sure I transition healthily and get all the vitamins/nutrients I need. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by sickofcollege View Post
    I want to become a Vegetarian but I don't know where to start. Making sure I transition healthily and get all the vitamins/nutrients I need. Any suggestions?
    I'd start a new post so that people know that's what you're looking for--you'll get tons of great replies!

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I'd start a new post so that people know that's what you're looking for--you'll get tons of great replies!
    Thanks

I usually just eat the side dishes if I am a guest.

Today I'm the cook!

I steamed/sautéed a bunch of fresh and canned vegetables in olive oil and my secret ingredient of Balsamic Vinegar, salt, pepper. I do all this in a big pot.

Yellow/orange vegetables are loaded with vitamins, so I used.

Butternut Squash
    Sweet Potato
    Broccoli
    Snap Peas
    Chick peas (protein)
    corn
    peas

After all the veggies are semi-soft I add in cooked pasta...
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

The Menu for tomorrow: All vegetarian family
    -Sweet Potato Lasagne (with tons of other veggies): I use thinly sliced zucchini rather than pasta noodles
    -Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
    -Sweet Potato Biscuits
    -Green Bean Casserole
    -Wild Rice
    -Pear and Ginger Crisp w/ Spiced Whipped Cream
    -Pumpkin Bread Pudding w/ homemade vanilla ice cream

Thanksgiving 2008:
    -Pumpkin and Cauliflower Casserole
    -Baked Pears (or peaches) w/ Almond paste
    -Mashed sweet potatos
    -White Beans, Spinach, and Tomato over Parmesan Toast
    -Spinach Salad w/ mandarin oranges and cashews
    -Pasta with grilled eggplant, zucchini, peppers, tomatos, black olives

Quote Originally Posted by In_ View Post
    -Sweet Potato Lasagne (with tons of other veggies): I use thinly sliced zucchini rather than pasta noodles
    -Sweet Potato Biscuits
    -Green Bean Casserole
    -Wild Rice

Thanksgiving 2008:
    -Mashed sweet potatos
    Umm, you're not anywhere in CT are you????
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

My dad always makes me stuffing outside the turkey. You could stick it in a squash if you want, but he makes up a nice baking dish worth as well as a ton of gorgeous sides and I don't even miss it in the slightest. I'll be making balsamic onions and sweet potatoes to go, and he'll have a salad, soup, eggplant, and green beans as further sides.

He did purchase an ill-advised tofurky one year. I think everyone laughed at him. Why eat that when you can cook wonderful vegetarian food?
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I'm not a vegetarian but a few years ago I made a Christmas dinner for vegetarian friends. I made a large stuffed fish and various vegetables with aoli sauce. I think provencal stuffed veggies would be good, too--a real treat.

I do a bunch of sides, and usually make a tart of some sort to function as my main dish, and another side for friends (last year a squashy one, this year I'm trying this:

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure....gie+Venture%29

I typically do a Quorn roast for Thanksgiving and Christmas ever since Unturkey went out of business (sniff sniff...). Today I'm the only vegetarian at a big dinner so I'm bringing Quorn cutlets for myself along with some vegetarian stuffing I picked up on the Whole Foods hot bar. The group I ate with last year is more veggie friendly, this year it is pretty much BYOF for me.

I've never done the Tofurkey as I've heard mixed reviews on it, but I love their lunch meet so I plan to try it sometime.

I am not a vegetarian but I do occasionally play one on TV (ok, not really, but with a vegan brother and the fact that I HATE cooking meat for myself, I eat mainly vegetarian). I LOVE TOFURKEY!!!!!

Silly, I know, but I had it for the first time last year when it was just my sister and I (not a vegetarian, either, but tries to keep the carnivorous tendencies toned down a bit). It was delicious. A good friend of mine (a vegetarian) hosted "Pre Thanksgiving" dinner on Sunday afternoon, and I was so stoked since she said she would make Tofurkey...sadly, she didn't. (the other veggie head couldn't come). I had to eat the real thing instead.

Remember it isn't "just like" turkey (or chicken, or beef or whatever else those things are "replacing"), its "as good as..."

Quote Originally Posted by In_ View Post
    -Sweet Potato Biscuits
    -Green Bean Casserole
    -Wild Rice

Thanksgiving 2008:
    -Mashed sweet potatos
    Set another place...I'm coming to your house next year!
    Sandra