The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Snow Village?

Anyone else set up a snow village each year? My parents have a huge set and over the years I've started to build a small collection for myself. I love it. Every year my parents and I pick out "our houses" from the set. We fight each year over who gets the nice Victorian on the hill
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

We do! We only have Dept 56's Charles Dickens stuff though, we think it looks the most traditional. We used to buy a new house/shop every year, but we've been running out of room so the last few years we've been trying to buy only accessories like people or bridges or carriages, but sometimes we see a house we just have to have, especially if it's retired.

My grandparents do the Dept. 56's Charles Dickens set It looks very nice in their house especially because they have a nice formal living room and it looks beautiful in there.
    My parents have been running out of room so we now have snow village in the great room, the piano room, and the upstairs loft I asked if I could bring my cat home for a few days so they could watch her while I went out of town and they said no, too much snow village stuff for her to ruin
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Yes ours has spread too! It started in the window in the recreation room, spread to the piano, and now also upstairs on one of the cabinets in the dining room. We had a cat for years though actually, and she never touched it. The tree was what piqued her interest!

I have several retired pieces stuffed in a closet somewhere in the house. I never even think about it.

I'm glad it's not just my wacky family! My mom's pace of acquisition has slowed down in recent years, but that's a good thing - we put ours on a reclaimed, faux-snow covered door, and it's gotten so crowded, my sister jokingly calls it our "Snow Ghetto". But it's one of my favorite Christmas traditions!
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford