The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bits? Tongue lacking attachment = tongue over bit. Also has low pallet.

I am just starting one of my young horses under saddle, and have encountered a strange mouth problem! Her tongue lacks normal attachment to the floor of her mouth AND, she has a low pallet! Has anyone ever encountered this?

Conformationally, her head is very long and narrow. Her jaws are of normal width, and her throat is also normal.

She has been in a loose ring french link. I prefer to ride my younguns in a full cheek (helps with steering) Dr. Bristol, so that is what she is currently in. The cavesson is plain, and does not have a flash. It is a very padded crank, but it is fairly loosely adjusted.

First off, yes, she had her teeth down a few months ago and had wolf teeth removed. She has been in a bridle on several occassions for sporthorse in-hand classes. Her tongue retracts very far into her mouth because it is not attached much (or what is normal) at the bottom. She did get her tongue over the bit in sporthorse classes this year.

Today was her first day undersaddle. We put the saddle on for the first time and did walk, trot, and canter both directions! (she had been ridden in a bareback pad w-t a few times in the Summer). She was super with the saddle, just as she had been bareback! She did lift her tongue over the bit while it was hanging off the bridle in a normal fashion/level. I put the bit up two holes and that kept her from getting her tongue over the bit. However, that makes the bit hang MUCH higher than I would ever like to have it.

So, here are my questions:

1) What bits are recommended for horses with low pallets?

2) Does anyone have recommendations for a bits for a horse with such an odd tongue?

Thank you for looking at my post, and thanks in advance for comments or recommendations!

Seems like you may be in for a challenge. I have a horse with a very low pallet and a very busy tongue due to TMJ damage prior to ownership. She is doing rather well in a duo bit by Sprenger. There is a thread on this forum about that particular bit that may be helpful.

I put the bit up two holes and that kept her from getting her tongue over the bit. However, that makes the bit hang MUCH higher than I would ever like to have it.
    Still, I think you may need todo that for a while until she relaxes with the bit because it is better than letting her learn she can get the tongue over the bit.

You might find one of the Myler mouthpieces suitable. I use a low port comfort snaffle on my low-palate arab, but there are versions which offer tongue relief as well which may help with her evasive behaviour. The little handbook A Whole Bit Better gives all the options.

You might try a double jointed Baucher. I had a horse who was very, very, very fussy with her head, and it turned out she was sometimes getting her tongue over the bit. The Baucher hangs in the mouth from the headstall with the reins attached separately so there is less pressure on the bars and the tongue. My mare instantly went better and with a very quiet head and tongue.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

For low palettes use thinner bits - I also prefer full cheek for babies then migrate to D rings/Egg butts when their older.

I ride with a crank and flash. My mare never got her tongue over the bit in the snaffle but has started that with the double - so for the moment we've put the bit higher in her mouth and are tightening the crank another 2 holes. Trainer says once she gets over this we can go back to the usual crank setting.
    Sandy in Fla.

I always use a French-link for a low palleted horse. If you are having trouble with the bit pulling through her mouth, then use bit guards. Frankly, if you are pulling that bit through her mouth, you are also doing something else wrongly.

I do not like to put the bit high in the mouth, which you seem to be implying. However, I cannot see where you are adjusting it. You want to make sure it hangs between the bars, and does not bang on either the front teeth or the back ones. I would also be having her wear that bit more, attaching it to a light weight, leather headstall, and letting her eat in it. You should only do this in a stall and never turn her loose outside like that. Make sure that the stall has nothing on which the bridle could catch...like a hay rack that protrudes.

I have the same problem! Really interested in what people use...
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

Quote Originally Posted by angel View Post
    I.... Frankly, if you are pulling that bit through her mouth, you are also doing something else wrongly.
    Not necessairly - when I was having problems with my mare (physical problems that manifasted themselves as mental) my trainers and myself had problems with my loose ring snaffle as bit would come too far to side when she refused to give to a rein. A "D" ring helped resolve that problem (but of course we had others so switching the bit enabled us to addrss her other issues).
    Sandy in Fla.

I like a kk ultra bradoon for the low-palate issue.

There is no bit that will solve the tongue over the bit problem. I have found the crescent noseband to be the best way to deal with that. Here's a link to one in the Dressage Extensions catalog:

http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr...l.asp?KEY=2312
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

'No bit will solve the tongue problem'.

I've heard of this 'hypermobile tongue' before. No bit will 'solve' it but a less moveable bit and adjusting cheeks to raise the bit can help. It sure can help to have something to help break the habit while the horse is reschooled.

Actually there are mouthpieces that are flat and in one pivoting, wide non jointed piece that cannot be pushed forward, back, lifted or dropped very much so are hard to get the tongue over the mouthpiece.

We used to have a swales 3 in 1 bit like this, some polo bits are, and some roping bits have this sort of 'flat' mouth.

I think some people have had luck with a mullen mouth, which also can't be repositioned as much.

Myler makes, and has made in the last few years, a number of mullen mouths with a very wide curve in them. My horse goes in one that has a near solid mouthpeice w/just a wide barrel in the middle. I also have one that has a smaller barrel and much more play in it - this one is no longer made unfortunately - great bit.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

the myler MBo2 snaffle (with the rolling barrel) seems to be very well tolerated by some horses who have issues with other bits. It's also legal for dressage .

I m currently in the same pickle! I have my TB in french links because she has a low pallet. I am looking into this bit for her to alleviate some tongue pressure. It is also legal in the dressage ring and it comes in loose rings too!

http://www.smartpakequine.com/myler-level-2-dee--8409p

Quote Originally Posted by wendybird View Post
    You might find one of the Myler mouthpieces suitable. I use a low port comfort snaffle on my low-palate arab, but there are versions which offer tongue relief as well which may help with her evasive behaviour. The little handbook A Whole Bit Better gives all the options.
    That's what I used to use on my gelding who liked to get his tongue over the bit. You can find Myler bits to rent. The Low Port Comfort Snaffle is legal as long as it doesn't have the slots to fix the cheek pieces or reins
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Imho horses who withdraw their tongues tend to need single broken bits rather than french/dr bristol types (even with the low palette issues). More curve/ports treat the symptom (lifting the tongue) and actually make it worse. The other thing is perhaps borrow a Mickelm bridle and use the hooks to keep the bit from extorting pressure on the tongue at all. And make sure the bit is high enough (with babies two wrinkles).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    You might try a double jointed Baucher. I had a horse who was very, very, very fussy with her head, and it turned out she was sometimes getting her tongue over the bit. The Baucher hangs in the mouth from the headstall with the reins attached separately so there is less pressure on the bars and the tongue. My mare instantly went better and with a very quiet head and tongue.
    This^. And for what it's worth, my low-palate horse HATES any dressage legal version of a Mylar bit. Chucked it around like he wanted to spit it out. He was better with a double-jointed loose ring, but still fussy. The Steubben version of a double-jointed Baucher made him very happy (and quiet). Oh, he plays with it a bit - that's just his thing - but once he's working, he seems to really like it and stops being fussy. I've also used the less expensive Centerline double-jointed Baucher, but I like the Steubben particularly since the quality is very nice, Aurigan-type mouthpiece, and the top connection of the bit is slightly bent outward so it doesn't risk pinching.

You could try a bit with a tongue plate? It's to stop the tongue obstructing a galloping horse's airway, I very much doubt it's dressage legal though.