The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Would you like access to borrow horsey books (older and newer), videos, etc?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Idea doesn't meet any need in the horse community. I am not so interested.

1 14.29%
  • Yes, but only if it's completely free. I won't even pay for shipping.

0 0%
  • Yes, if I can borrow the books free and just pay shipping

1 14.29%
  • I'd be willing to pay a small monthly fee to cover shipping & protect library materials

4 57.14%
  • Unique idea! I'd pay a montly fee & be willing to pay per item fee if needed.

1 14.29%

Smile how to set up a lending library? would you find it of interest?

I'm trying to talk to Equihab about setting up a lending library. Over the years people have donated quite a few books, videos, and other educational materials. The Board isn't so sure -- I'd need to solve some problems first... maybe you have some ideas?

What would be the best way to ensure materials are returned in a few weeks and not kept indefinitely? Would a monthly fee / limited # of items (like NetFlix) work? Ideally it should be free (as part of Equihab's educational commitment to the community) but if it's free, some people would just take a book and never bother to think about the Lending Library again.

And how to handle people who simply don't return the videos and vanish? A deposit up front would be easiest at our end, but would it scare off people?

I'm thinking something like HorseFlix but with lower-to-no fees and with books not just videos. Equihab also has some neat out of print books (and a few really old/rare ones) you just can't find anywhere.

Or is this just a dumb idea? Is there a better way to share this wonderful library of things with the community (without having items vanish forever)?

Would you as a horse person take advantage of an almost-free way to get access to horsey materials? Or does it simply not interest you period?

Thanks for your feedback & ideas! I want to make this work... but when I pitch it at the December Board meeting, I need these wrinkles ironed out.

Yup would love to see this happen. I know there are a couple tack stores in calgary that have a fairly extensive library that you can borrow from. Not sure how they work it but seems to get used and items are returned.

P.

I think its a good idea- i envision a netflix type thing but with horsey books and such?
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

That would work well with most people, that are basically honest and would not think to keep what is not theirs.

You can't help the few deadbeats you find everyplace, that goes with the territory.

I would keep rare and out of print books restricted, maybe loan those only with a hefty deposit.

Our dog club has a book case full of books/videos for members to take and bring back as needed, on the honor system and somehow we end up with more books all the time.
    You may find that yes, some books may grow legs and not come back, but on the other hand, people will keep sending you more books back than you lent them.