The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I love my husband, but...

I love my husband dearly, and it's a real treat to have him do most of the cooking. But for Thanksgiving this year, he's making a Pastrami Turkey.

Yup, three days of this bird brining in the fridge, and so far it's one of the least appetizing things I've ever seen. He's going to throw it on the barbecue grill to cook it.

I'm already practicing my tactful, gracious response to eating the thing while wishing that we had, well, a more normal Thanksgiving dinner. At least I can go for the stuffing and green beans, so I won't starve.

Please, somebody give me some hope that this isn't a disaster in the making...
    "She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was shaped funny and rolled asymmetrically."

1. Go to store.

2. Purchase bone-in turkey breast.

3. Quietly, and surreptitiously, place this in a slow cooker in some inconspicuous place. Your garage. Your spare bathroom. Wherever.

4. When and if Pastrami Turkey is disgusting, retrieve your secret weapon to the delight of all involved.

To be fair to your husband, ANYTHING looks disgusting in brine. I was quite grossed out the first year that we brined a turkey. But it tasted faaaaaantastic.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog, Launching September 2015 http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Actually, that sounds pretty tasty. But it wouldn't hurt to have one in reserve.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Hey- how did you marry my husband???
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

The best way I have ever had turkey was when it was brined. I mean it was juicy, tender, flavorful, I can't say enough. I've even done chickens like that. Mmmmmmmmm

I may not understand the details of what 'pastrami turkey' is, but brining is an excellent way to make whole poultry more flavorful and juicy. Really. My mad brining-and-grilling skills have one me many accolades.

Agreed -- anything that's brining looks gross. But if you don't like it, it never hurts to have backup.

Ugh. I need to start cooking...