The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Grad school in Newfoundland

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure! Go for it!! Embrace the sport of curling!

14 77.78%
  • Are you kidding? Stay in the real world.

1 5.56%
  • I have no idea where that is. Isn't Newfoundland like a dog breed?

1 5.56%
  • Your own response.

2 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Default Grad School in Newfoundland

Ok, Just because it's off topic day and this'll be fun!

Why not ask a complete bunch of strangers a totally random question.

Should I apply for grad school in Newfoundland? They have the exact degree that I want, and seem to have lots of financial aid available for it.

Downside... um.. I've lived in the desert for the past 11 years where a heavy snow is less than one inch and it snows at 50F. (surrounded by mountains)

So.... whadda ya'll think? :-D
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

EVERYONE should have the pleasure of living in Newfoundland for at least a short time in their lives! You don't go for the climate, you go for the atmosphere!

Bring sweaters.

As long as you go for a double minor in Landseer and Labrador, you should be OK!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

For what type of degree? I think that would impact my decision quite a bit.

As a fellow grad school applicant, one thing I've considered when choosing where to apply: could I potentially find a job/see myself living and working in this city?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    For what type of degree? I think that would impact my decision quite a bit.

As a fellow grad school applicant, one thing I've considered when choosing where to apply: could I potentially find a job/see myself living and working in this city?
    As far as I know, Newfoundland is booming, and currently doesn't have enough young people around since they're all away working elsewhere in the country. The opportunities are probably there...but I'm curious about why you would necessarily want to live where you have studied? I guess it could be important if it's an esoteric academic discipline with few faculties around, but for a professional degree, probably not. The OP didn't say which one it was

Heh... the atmosphere seems to be one of the positives.

It is a rather esoteric degree I suppose. *shrug* It's ethnomusicology that I'm looking into. And since I"m interested in music from the British Isles and immigration. It seems to be a good fit. ;-p

As for living/working I think what Tha Ridge is saying, is that it's going to be a few years of your life and you should at least be happy with the area while you're there, since there's more to life than school. (at least that's how I took it!)

I would love a double major in Labrador and Landseer, but I think I already have one in Pembroke welsh corgi! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by propspony View Post
    I would love a double major in Labrador and Landseer, but I think I already have one in Pembroke welsh corgi! :-D

Oh God, I just realized! The CORGIS!!!

Would I need to get them platform snowshoes? Are there snowplow attachments for low-rider dogs!

ACK!!!

Bailey the corgi looking confused by Vegas snow.

(should work for everyone)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...da&id=23706520

I love Bailey! And his turnout!

I don't know about the snowshoes, but if you could adopt a Cardigan, he might have enough of a tail to keep the Pembrokes' hind-ends warm.

Oh ok propspony, I thought Tha Ridge was talking about *after* graduation.

One of my majors was anthropology, and I got to take an ethnomusicology class at the end of my degree - WAY cool!! Good luck with your grad school applications - I'm only 2 weeks from finishing my MLIS, and I can't wait.

PS, To walk the corgi, you might need to ride a snowblower in front while they follow behind

One automatically receives a snowblower as part of your "Welcome to Canada" packet right?

Or is it a moose?

I *so* can't remember.

Red Razzle, Anthropology? Now, that's pretty cool! One of the things I like about this degree is that it's really entwined with their Folklore department. Now *that* sounds like fun!

(of course, my idea of fun is a bit skewed according to my roommates! :-D)

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    I love Bailey! And his turnout!

I don't know about the snowshoes, but if you could adopt a Cardigan, he might have enough of a tail to keep the Pembrokes' hind-ends warm.
    One of the craziest things about living in Austria, was that all of the Pembrokes had TAILS! And they were the cutest tails EVER. They were white tipped like little fox tails.

I kind of wish my kids had tails like that...

Precious corgi, Propspony.

I was talking about after graduation, actually, but I totally understand what Propspony was saying as well. Personally, for grad school, I've chosen cities I would like to live/work in after graduation. For me, there's something to be said about not having to relocate immediately after finishing school.

Oh, Folkore is fun too! That department was stuck in with my other major, English - one of the best classes I ever took was folklore based. Of course, how could it not be, with the prof's other speciality being pirate literature! Arrrrr!

And if you move to NL, you will definitely be given MOOSE as a welcoming gift. Probably in the form of stew. Easy to find in any local grocer!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRazzle View Post
    And if you move to NL, you will definitely be given MOOSE as a welcoming gift. Probably in the form of stew. Easy to find in any local grocer!
    Or attached to the front of your car I hear. Moose + Foggiest city in Canada = Fun....

I have a young horse here we're keeping for his Mom who is in vet school in Newfoundland (or insert some other small, desolate Canadian island--can't quite remember what she said).

She is a CA native, though from the north so not quite a desert person, but anyway, she's loving it. She decided on it because they offered the specialties she was interested in, and they had a lot of incentives to make it a very affordable option. She got in to the vet school at Davis, but figured when all was said and done she'd come out five to six figures ahead on loans by choosing Newfoundland.

Anyway, she loves it. She says it's cold and gray in the winter, but still beautiful in it's own way, and she's so busy with the school the isolation doesn't bother her. In fact, she thinks she's doing better because of it. The spring is beautiful and they have everything set up so you don't have to go outside much when it's really bad weather.

Hope that helps!
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

ya, you have to be careful about driving from dusk all the way until the sun is fully up, the meese are not shy about crossing roads at night, and all the twists and turns means you have to have your wits about you - or a big truck with a good pipe-metal grille on the front.

Pheonix Farm, you must be thinking of Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland doesn't have a vet school. PEI is just gorgeous - lucky girl!

Yes, the vet school is in Charlottetown, PEI, lovely island .... NFLD is much harsher, but the people are very welcoming! sometimes hard to understand!

While conventional wisdom amongst musicians is to live where the action is, if it is a perfect fit and you are looking at a 2 year Masters degree program, I say go for it. If you are looking at continuing on for a Ph.D. program, then maybe not.

If all you're going for is school, not part-time jobs, socialization, or actual ethnic groups to study, go for it.