The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone else sick and tired of the Food Police?

When I looked for the oatmeal cookie recipe, Quaker has replaced BUTTER with some disgusting substance called "transfat-free shortening." Stop policing my food! I make my cookies with butter and fry my eggs in bacon grease.

I haven't bought a box of Nabisco Sugar Wafers for five years, since they took the coconut and palm oil out of the "wafers". They used to be sweet, crunchy cookies and now they're like chewing a piece of cardboard.

Leave my food alone!!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I can't eat KFC anymore. God, that used to be the BEST chicken. Now it's ick.

McDonald's fries used to be awesome. When they stopped using lard, they started to suck.

Next thing you know, Ben and Jerry's will start using skim milk.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Seems that some with an agenda are getting ahead of the science, if not altering science to suit their goals.

Intellectuals today, not having much else to discuss, are becoming the food police and so much else, as this opinion article tells it, called "faddism":

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Jolley-...2&v=bac3336c15

I think that, within some of those valid questions, there is a middle ground, where sensible people thread.

You go ahead and have your butter in your cookies, just don't eat too many too often and you should be fine.

Cookies were supposed to be a treat, not a main course.

I would much rather eat the real thing than some chemical look alike. Of course, I'm not the smallest person on earth either- but I think that has much more to do with eating too much of the real thing than not substituting with franken-foods
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Irony: Butter doesn't contain trans-fats, they're created from artificially saturated hydrogentated fat. Ie margarines, etc.

There IS a reason to use shortening (ie Crisco) in cookie recipes--butter and shortening produce different results in terms of crunch versus chewy textures because of their different melting points. Persumably a trans-fat free shortening would behave like Crisco (which I think is trans-fat free now). Butter will give you a different texture.

And unless the package says it's suitable for baking don't use margarines. It's just generally not pretty.

I stopped buying Girl Scout cookies when they took the butter out of the shortbread Trifoil cookies-how the hell do you make shortbreads without butter?
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Aaaaaaahhh, yes, the nanny state is progressing nicely.

I noticed that our local buzzard joint....er KFC isn't the same but I attributed that to change of management....but maybe the food police got to them now too.

As far as baking and cooking in general, different fats do make a difference in taste and texture. If I still make pies, I wouldn't dream of making pie crust with anything but lard. I wouldnt dream of making shortbread cookies with margarine or anything but butter, BUT at one point, Kraft had a very good shortbread recipe using margarine but that was years ago - was a whipped shortbread but it doesn't work any more. If one goes back far enough in cookbooks, there are some cookies made with such oddities as goose grease and chicken fat and those recipes do not work with substitutions - you have to render the fat and then do the baking
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

YES!!
    I almost got thrown out of Shoneys because they only had Low-Fat dressing on the salad bar....I hate low fat/no fat stuff, it tastes like crap.
    Butter Forever!!

I made a lemon cake tonight, with classic buttercream icing and lemon curd filling. Cake, icing, lemon curd and all, it has 15 eggs and 8 sticks of butter!
    I had to find the recipe on the web again since I'd lost the printed one I'd worked off of before. I found it with no trouble, but this time it had an addition at the bottom:
    "Click here to 'healthy it up'!"

No. It tastes good BECAUSE it has 2 pounds of butter and 15 eggs in it. I don't want to 'healthy it up'. It's a holiday, and I am going to make it the right way.

I do not have "margarine" or "transfat-free shortening" in my house. I have real butter and lard. I bake with them year-round. The hubby has noted a huge difference in how food tastes.

Also, give me real butter on my popcorn, not that sprinkle powder stuff or spray stuff at the movie theaters. YUCK!

Roast brussels sprouts in duck confit. That way you are geting a jolly good serving of green veg.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I have a potato-leek gratin in the oven made with real butter and heavy cream. Mmmm.

It's about MODERATION, people, not making food out of chemicals. Yuck.

Oh, you're using the wrong brands!!! I looked at a box of Stove Top brand fake stuffing mix (can you tell how I feel about 'real foods'?) that I was given today, and the same substance the O.P. is complaining about is called for in the instructions on the box, but they want you to use only "spread." Not butter, not butter or margarine, not trans-fat-free-or-whatever garbage the O.P. posted, just fake margarine-like stuff. You know, they HAVE to label it "spread" when it doesn't neet the "standards" for margarine...

I love this thread.....I grew up in a household where my mother made 8 loaves of homemade bread every week. She used LARD.....oh the horror....she made puff pastry with REAL butter and Lard and Christmas Pudding with SUET!!

I just remembered, that when I was in Scouts, she would not let us go on overnights, unless she made the Hamburger and Hotdog rolls for the whole group, or the donuts. Our farm provided the meats most of the time as well.

She was featured in NY Times Sunday Mags many times for her bread and pastry and James Beard was a frequent guest at our home.

None of us were remotely heavy, overweight, large or pleasantly plump. We ate good healthy meals, and were constantly moving about either with the bird dogs, or the horses or winter sports.

My sons are 6'3" and 6'5". They also are not heavy. They were brought up this way, eating healthy without guilt, and living in the UK kept much of the junk food, if not all, out of sight for them. Neither of them drink sodas, but they can eat. They also love to cook and are very athletic. One is still an Int. Snowboarder.

Maybe part of it is genetic, but most of it is just making good choices. I don't want anyone telling me how to cook or what ingredients to use when I do.

While it's not easy to find really good suet for Roly Poly or or my Great Grams Christmas Pudding, I always manage to make some up for the holidays, just to bring back those great memories and smells.

Nothing better, in my mind, than a good roast, Yorkshire Pudding, veggies and a yummy dessert............for the holidays. (Then the necessary 2 1/2 hour dodge ball, football, soccer game in the field).

Thumbs down processed food

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I haven't bought a box of Nabisco Sugar Wafers for five years, since they took the coconut and palm oil out of the "wafers". They used to be sweet, crunchy cookies and now they're like chewing a piece of cardboard.

Leave my food alone!!
    One word: Cheap! That the food industry hides behind the excuse of "healthy" is laughable. Coconut and palm are some of the healthiest oils--albeit not as cheap or shelf stable as hydrogenated veggie oil. Long live butter, coco oil, bacon fat and lard!
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

the fact is that it's not JUST the companies that are changing for the sake of "healthy" or "cheap" or whatever that I'm having a problem with. I also have a HUGE problem with the government telling me what I can and can't eat. I'm not sure which is worse to be honest except that when faced with a company's product, you can always go elsewhere to get what you want. When faced with a government ban on something, that may not always be the case. Ie: don't like Nabisco's wafers? Perhaps another company can make them better... or you can make your own. If the government outlaws things like butter or unpastuerized milk, it's pretty damn hard to get an equivalent alternative!

Overall... yes... STOP policing my food!!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I doubt if the changes are so much to protect our health as to save money.

Nothing wrong with eating butter, etc. if it's done sensibly and in moderation. But 95% of my patients don't know the meaning of "moderation" and I'm sorry, but not one solitary soul on this earth "needs" to eat dessert, fast food, etc. It's a choice, and something we ought to make wisely. A little indulgence now and then is great, but crap food (choose your definition) is way too much of a staple, in general, in our lives.

For those who feel otherwise, let me give you my card.
    Click here before you buy.

My mom, who has always struggled with her weight, is an excellent cook. One year, she decided to do a "lowfat" Thanksgiving, cooking everything with low-fat ingredients, no butter, no cream, etc. It was TERRIBLE! All the dishes I'd grown up with just weren't the same. As an adult, I feel badly for giving my mom a hard time about it - she was just trying to make a healthier meal - but thank goodness it only happened once!

I think so much of it has to do with lifestyle in general. My SO hasn't an ounce of fat on his body, because though he eats like a horse, he's extremely active. I am significantly less active, and it shows. But when I was younger and very active, I didn't have to watch what I ate at all.

....tired of not only the food police...there's the size of your tiolet police,the
    lightbulb police, the tiolet paper police, the sugar police....it keeps on going....
    arrgh!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

While I agree that a constant diet of "fast food" is probably not good for you, I firmly believe that we have become a culture of couch potatoes. Geez...people get in the car to drive to the mailbox.