The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Warmest Riding Breeches & Boots or 1/2 Chaps

I live in Mo and need some warm breeches and riding boots or half chaps for everyday riding for this winter. What is the best kind to get for warmth and durability?

There was a great thread about winter breeches in the dressage section awhile ago:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=227909

As for the boots, I ride in Mountain Horse Ice Rider paddocks + Wind Pro breeches + regular $40 Dublin half chaps. I should note that I ride almost exclusively indoors during the winter and don't ride under 20 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrpfflynn View Post
    I live in Mo and need some warm breeches and riding boots or half chaps for everyday riding for this winter. What is the best kind to get for warmth and durability?
    The Kerrits Sit Tight N Warm tights are awesome. Mine are knee patch. If it is really cold, I add long underwear.

Let's see, Tropical Riders make a great polarfleece pull on breech that is very warm and comfy. I also like the FITS polarfleece breech.

I ride in a pair of Ariat winter paddock boots (I don't remember the name of them) and half-chaps.

I also wear wicking fabric shirt, polarfleece half zip, a vest, maybe a wind proof jacket or if it's really cold, my Kyra K winter coat and a headband under my helmet to keep my ears warm. And a fleece neck gaitor. Of course, a sheepskin seat saver on my saddle. If I'm cold in that outfit, it's too cold to ride.

Thanks for the advice guys. I like the sheep skin seat saver idea. I never thought of that.

I have the Ariat Bromont boots and recommend them. They are not bulky and have kept my feet both warm and dry (they are water proof).

For breeches, I wear spanx underneath my regular breeches. You cannot see them and they keep me warm.

I agree with adding Spanx under your pants. They are the best "long johns" that I've ever owned.

Wink custom saddlery

smartpak has them - my favorites. they come in blue and tan. water beads up and repels. they have a warm, soft, flannel lining and look very nice - not like tights like some of them. Very forgiving to my very dimpled butt.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by fatorangehorse View Post
    smartpak has them - my favorites. they come in blue and tan. water beads up and repels. they have a warm, soft, flannel lining and look very nice - not like tights like some of them. Very forgiving to my very dimpled butt.
    Do you mean the winter weight breeches? http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/Produc...ctclassid=5387

I have them too, and they *are* warm. My only complaint about them is that they are SHORT. I am only 5'3" or so and not particularly long-legged but there are only a couple of inches of fabric past the ends of the knee patches, which means my leg is COLD under my half chaps from about mid-calf down. I solved the problem by wearing them with long dry wool socks, but what a pain. I wish they would make them in longer lengths; they are otherwise quite nice.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Default yes that's them

and you're right. they're on the shorter side. I wear tall winter boots, then tall riding boots with tall socks, so i don't mind that.

Nike or underarmour fleece lined pants for under breeches. I have the nike ones and they are WARM, invisible under my breeches, even for showing, and breatheable. love love love them. I ride several horses a day in down to 20 degree weather.