The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barns that allow truck-ins in Western Mass?

Does anyone know of any decent barns that allow truck-ins in western mass? im not interested in lessons...i just want to actually be able to ride my horse and keep him in some sort of shape this winter. also not interested in barns that cost the equivilent of my first born child just to truck in! But if you own, or ride at a barn that would allow me to just trailer in and work my horse, please please let me know!!

Well, first off, where in Western Mass are you? I know it's a small state, but you still don't want to be driving an hour just to ride for an hour!

So what is in it for the barn (that investment prob cost well into the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollars) to let you truck in (and not pay the equivalent of your first born child)? Barns cost money. So does footing jumps insurance, electricity inconvenience to paying boarders, etc etc. What do you call a "fair" price and are you bringing in your own insurance coverage for yourself as well as for any damage you or your horse might do to the facility? Just wondering.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

OP location is needed...Berkshires or Banjos?????

Jumphigh83...You are my hero!!!

im in the amherst area...and by not wanting to pay the equivilent of my first born child, I just mean I dont want to pay more than $30 to trailer in to school my guy. i never heard of barns really having an issue with that before...last barn i was at they allowed people to trailer in for free. and i know that is definitely not the norm!

Joy at Dion Tack (on route 9) might have some suggestions---she knows about a lot of the local barns.

Quote Originally Posted by rwh View Post
    Joy at Dion Tack (on route 9) might have some suggestions---she knows about a lot of the local barns.
    ooh thanks, i know Joy, I have an order to pick up from her this next week ill have to remember to ask her about that.

Mt. Holyoke allows truck ins and I think it's $30. And they have two really nice rings with jumps. In fact, I think there's another thread on this forum about it.

Stillwater Equestrian in South Deerfield -used- to allow truck ins, I think it was $15 an hour? Very friendly barn, I would highly recommend them. Give them a call or send an email and they should at least have a recommendation if they no longer allow them.

http://www.stillwatereqcenter.com