The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best dog toys for a chewer?

I want to get a few good toys for my dog this Christmas since we will have a new baby and lots of kids toys around- I want to make sure she's not left out (she has her own toy bin in the living room and seems to have learned that anything in there is fair game- anything else not so much.)

She's a fan of balls and kongs and loves stuffed animals- but mostly just for the fun of de-stuffing them. She's best guess a lab/ wiemeraner mix.

So- what are the best dog toys out there?

Kong and a jar of peanut butter.

Stuffies - hit up goodwill, salvation army and yard sales.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Small Jolly Balls. My dog LOVES hers. Kong also makes tons of different types of toys. My dogs have a Kong frisbee as well.

Kong is the best for chewers. They are the few toys we have (and we have 3 dogs) that don't break down too easy.

Footballs are also great toys.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

My groups really likes Kongs...the regular kind and the Wooba.

My rough and tumble guy looooves his jolly ball on a rope.

I got a ball a few years ago from LL Bean. It is made out of the same rubber as the soles of their Bean boots and has a rope through it. All my dogs love that ball and it has held up like no other!
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

I have purchased a zillion different toys over the years....nylabones, kongs, orbis....and the one thing they have loved the most has been a deflated basketball.....never inflated actually. That thing has been through about 5 dogs and is still, despite best efforts, in one piece. It can be chewed, tugged, retrieved....perfect.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I have a lab who chewed up every Kong I ever got him. The only thing he could not destroy was a racquet ball! He still has it 8 yrs later.

My dog loves baseballs (she spends a long time pulling the cover off), but the best 'toys' are just boring old bones - the kind with stuff in the middle keep her occupied for a LONG time.

My dogs love these!

And they're pretty tough. I have to cut the feet off of them though because one of my dogs insists on chewing them off and eating them But they can withstand some pretty severe chewing from a rowdy Boston Terrier and my Labs haven't destroyed it either.

The small Jolly balls are a lot of fun too.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I really like products from the Orbee-Tuff brand (http://stores.orderfromoliver.com/Ca...?category=Toys). Bully Sticks (http://stores.orderfromoliver.com/Ca...ategory=Treats) are great too - depending on your chewer, can keep them busy for a hour or for days.

I have big time chewers (pitbull and rottie) they like:

Kongs
    Nylabones
    Cuz (link given by SkipHiLad)(in various shapes)
    Last edited by trubandloki; Nov. 25, 2009 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    My dogs love these!

And they're pretty tough. I have to cut the feet off of them though because one of my dogs insists on chewing them off and eating them But they can withstand some pretty severe chewing from a rowdy Boston Terrier and my Labs haven't destroyed it either.

Agreed. My lab loves his cuz, we forgot it at my parents when visiting and noticed as soon as we got home, and had to go out and get another one, no other toy can handle the distruction that my lab does to his toys, or if they can he normally losses his excitement over them but not the cuz, you walk in the house and he is bringing it to you and everywhere he goes it must go with him (although we had to train him to drop it at the door so doesn't get muddy outside)

Cuz (but I perform "surgery" first and amputate the legs...if they chew 'em off and swallow = obstruction)

Kongs--but I like getting the kong ball because he can't get a good hold on it to chew it to pieces.

Nylabones

That's about all I can give my dog...lab.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Buddy - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has to amputate the Cuz's legs.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

my dog is not a chewer but he LOVES his wiggle giggle ball. It is hard plastic and it has those "throw-up' sticks inside of it and when it rolls it makes the most crazy sound. HE LOVES IT.

And a side note, if the dog does not like it, the baby most likely will !

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    Buddy - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has to amputate the Cuz's legs.
    When I first started to respond, no one had mentioned that yet. I too was glad to see I wasn't the only one.

One of the dogs on that show...um...the show that's the rescue in Utah? One of their dogs had a Cuz and got obstructed. Since then, the legs come off!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Default Kevlar

We found some kevlar toys that the labs love. The black one carries around the last little piece as his security blanket I think.

we are about to spring for some more.

as career change guides, they were only allowed kongs and nylabones (love the dinosaurs). we still have some dinosaur bodies lying around.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I have a Border Collie who was my cowboy boyfriend's failed cattle dog (mega fail, btw). He's friendly but easily cowed, and never had anything other than a pig's ear or random steer knuckle. We're slowly introducing mass-production toys; once he's used to it he loves it. But his first squeaky toy, he nearly broke out the passenger side window trying to get away from it...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Well years ago my aussie enjoyed my running shoes (she ate all but the metal holes for the laces) and a stuffed chair (she ate it all).

My lab enjoyed my victoria secret's push up bras 8 yrs ago.

One aussie chose one of each of my works/dress/heels and left one for me one day when I forgot to close my walk in closet before I went to work. Same aussie along with another aussie puppy chose to eat all the Christmas decorations they could reach on the tree the night before we left Atlanta to go home to Savannah for Xmas. A few reindeer survived with one leg missing on each.

Another aussie along with a mixed breed puppy ate the center out of the back of one couch.

So I guess it is whatever the dog fancies. Or whatever I leave within reach.

My aussie likes to eviserate (sp?) stuffed animals but we have found the the stuffed animals from the AKC seem to last longer than any others. Some he destroys in minutes (we get rid of the stuffing and leave the "skin" for him to play with) but he has had a few for over a year and not only are they still intact but they still squeak! I've quit trying to figure out what motivates him to disembowel one stuffed animal and be kind to another - he's just an odd little boy.

My dogs don't like the nylabones. Just ignore them. They do play with some things outside, but seem to prefer sticks.

I have heard of problems with the pig ears, other toys, dogs needing surgery. After a tour during Vet Days at MSU, and seeing ALL THE STUFF taken out of dogs, I refuse to let them have most toys. I will agree with the basketball. However it needs to be inflated for my dogs, or they chew it into pieces. Plastic milk bottles make noise being jumped on, crunched down, but stay together pretty well. Replaced if they start getting torn or pulled apart. Oddly enough, they like the very heavy, plastic pots that shrubs come in, make holes but can't seem to chew them apart. Do like carrying them around the yard.

For just staying busy, I have the best luck with cow bones from the butcher shop. We have a lovely shop that husband passes, stops and gets a bag of bones for the dog. Being leg bones, they are rounded, thick walled, very tasty. Ours are about 2" tall. I have heard of some very narrow jawed dogs getting the lower jaw stuck inside, but my big dog has no problem. Her jaw power is very impressive, so I am really careful about what she is allowed to chew on. She did steal some shoes, other items when a puppy, totally shredded them up, so we had to be quite careful when she was not crated up. Stopped when about 18 months, and now sticks to the bones. Does still pick up shoes left out, but only licks them until sloppy, no chewing.

The Corgi LOVES to chew things. However she can have no fat in diet. She has been quite happy with cow hooves from the pet store and used bones from the big dog with no marrow or fat left on them. She also does a lot of stick chewing outside. Have had not splinters, digestive problems, these are tree sticks she finds. The big dog does enjoy the cow hooves also, takes her a couple days to get that chewed up.

Kongs are also of no interest unless stuffed. But can't have that laying about with the small dog and her no-fat diet.