The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone here with Cerebal Palsey?

Last edited by Jasmine; Dec. 5, 2011 at 04:10 PM.

There are a lot of differing levels and types of CP. It sounds like this girl has a milder version than many people.

Maybe ask for a brief summary of abilities from the student's doctor and/or physical therapist? They might also be able to identify what the student should work on (balance, communication, etc) and any restrictions she may have.

Good for you for taking on this student.
    ~Katelyn~

If she has mild CP and is able to follow your directions in the case of an emergency then teach her as you would teach another five year old rider. Do you teach children that young? A report from her teacher or therapists might be helpful to help see what her level of understanding is- usually there are no cognitive complications with CP. If you do get reports from her teacher or therapists, remember that your goal and job is still to teach riding.

Just fyi, as we have a few riders with CP at our barn. Colder weather exacerbates spasticity, making it so much more difficult to ride. So warmups before getting into the saddle are a good idea.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Ask her parents if she's had any surgeries that might impact flexibility/function. While I have a different neuromuscular disorder than CP, I had surgery for a club foot which makes the concept of "heels down" virtually impossible for me on one leg since that ankle and tendon/heel cord are messed up. My instructor really worked on my leg to establish tightness and security even without a lot of weight in the heel. Now I'm secure and stable enough to wear spurs, etc.

I have a very mild case of it.