The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So what do you do while you wait for the shipper to call?

I guess sleeping would be good but I am not yet tired! They are bringing the new pony tonight ( or tomorrow) and will call when they are an hour out from the farm, until then I wait, and really I am bored!! I guess I could work on thawing out the turkey that I bought tonight that is as hard as a ROCK, or start cleaning but none of that sounds like much fun at 10pm!!!
    ETS: you know as SOON as I fall asleep they will call so maybe I should just go to bed and hopfully salvage the rest of the night if they were here by 11pm I could be back in bed by 12:30 am!!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Is the ponepone going to be in a stall for the night? Get it ready with water/hay.

If Firefly is going to be outside, make sure water trough is clean & filled. Nice grass hay would be welcomed by a tired pone. Is there a pen where he/she can rest undisturbed then meet the other pones tomorrow?

Are health treats made for the lil un?

Otherwise, theres always laundry...

I bet your excited.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Arrow

I keep my normal routine. I have them call when they are 30 - 35 mins out. If i am in bed I have my phones next to my head. I no longer wait up for them. It wears me out!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Is the ponepone going to be in a stall for the night? Get it ready with water/hay.

If Firefly is going to be outside, make sure water trough is clean & filled. Nice grass hay would be welcomed by a tired pone. Is there a pen where he/she can rest undisturbed then meet the other pones tomorrow?

Are health treats made for the lil un?

Otherwise, theres always laundry...

I bet your excited.
    Stall is ready and water buckets are full, she will meet her new friends tomorrow one at a time and she will meet her new KID as soon as the kid wakes up ( that is if she is even sleeping cause she was SOOOO excited, she told me it was better than Christmas!)
    as you can see I am still up, but heading to bed because now I am tired!
    so I am taking the phone to bed with me and hopefully they will not arrive until early tomorrow morning !
    and yes I started laundry ( it runs 24/7 around here)
    Kim

Glad I went to bed cause i am still waiting
    Kim

It's the WORST waiting for the shipper...it IS like Christmas!

When Dumplin' came it was supposed to be a pickup at Sunkissed at night, they would overnight at a neighboring farm and then head up the coast the next day. Unfortunately the truck engine went in the brand new truck with only 30K on it so Dumplin' and his travel companions spent most of the next day at their farm stopover too until the backup truck could get there. Finally on the road the next morning, but weather was iffy (ice and slush) so it took them FOREVER. We were expecting the first nasty ice storm of the season the night they were scheduled to arrive so we were very, very worried. I had waited more than 40 years for that little old man!!!

It is more than a 14 hour drive from Loris to our farm and he got here at 12:19 am...I'll never forget seeing the door lowering, lowering, lowering.... and finally seeing my fuzzy little man in the big center stall with the three big horses on the sides looking down on him like "hey! What makes him so special that he gets the big room!". And then little Bodie came hoping out of the truck...tears...I'll never forget it...

Now when Kate and Paco were coming all went according to schedule...until they hit the Poconos...on Memorial Day weekend. For 5 hours they sat on the highway. Two tractor trailers had clipped each other and rolled, blocking both lanes. One was carrying frozen hamburgers, the other tissue paper...they sat and watched it blow all over while burgers sizzled on the highway. They finally arrived at 1am.

Now the winnies? We picked them up in Harrisburg at Lilhponies and made it home by dark!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Just got my new guy (hunter/jumper & he's even driven) in from near Dallas TX to MD last weekend. They were supposed to pick him up Friday morning by 9:00 AM...nope, 5:30 PM the trailer showed up...and deliver him Saturday evening (almost 1,300 miles).

Well, I'd planned for a long day, got to the barn late Saturday, rode one beast, did some "Barbie Beauty Shop" on my two guys, got the new pariah quarrantine stall ready (hung the rubber feed tub and put up the two safer rubber water buckets). Put in lots of soft bedding figuring he'd be pooped, knocked down cobwebs...way too much cleaning...even brought the Kindle DX to read. Then it dawned on me, I forgot the cash for the shipper! Ack!

Back home and I sent them an email around 4 PM..."Oh", they said, "We're in Atlanta now" (10 hours away)..."We won't be there till tomorrow morning".

Sigh...spent a night annoyed and grumbling about my new horse spending another night on the trailer.

He's home now, in great shape, vet came out Monday for a new coggins and look-see. I much prefer to do my own shipping.

Good news though...my Passier's and Stubbens fit the boy! Woohoo! Need to go bridle shopping!
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I got my yearling in mid October shipped from KS to NC by Nationwide. I had no complaints -- they picked him up at 11PM on a Saturday and his ETA was Monday between 5-9AM. I got the call at 4AM that they were an hour away.

Bounce up and down and go nuts? RR and I are still working on GETTING a shipper, and I'm already getting giddy! Oh, make sure you have the camera ready....we want pictures!

Haven't lived until you let husband answer phone and talk to shipper. Message was relayed as "horses will arrive about 11:00 tonight." When they didn't arrive by 1:00 a.m., we started calling, but the drivers were in the mountains and had no cell reception. I finally went to bed. Daughter stayed up. What really was the message....11:00 a.m. the next morning (and he's still bad about relaying messages.)

And we are STILL waiting, i called this morning after I fed in the rain, and they said 4pm today traffic on I95 is AWFUL and its slow going!! so I am home making what I can for dinner tomorrow, and cleaning up the house. We will head back over to the farm to do the evening feeding, which we already planned to do because my parents are in Chicago with my other sister. And then just hang until Bug( her barn name) arrives. I am planning to leave her in the stall overnight and start her intro to the herd tomorrow while my turkey cooks!
    Poor DD is going NUTS!!! she has now decided that this is WORSE than Christmas, because at least christmas starts early in the day LOL!!
    Kim

Hey, at least you do not have to wait 11 more DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
    Bounce up and down and go nuts? RR and I are still working on GETTING a shipper, and I'm already getting giddy! Oh, make sure you have the camera ready....we want pictures!
    The quotes are coming in, working on getting health records, finding blankets, etc. It's going to be a long couple of weeks, isn't it.

She arrived at 4pm, safe and sound and "snug as a bug" in her new rug and stall!!! tomorrow we will take her out and play with her!!
    Kim

Yay!!!! Congratulations and of course....we must have pictures!
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

Quote Originally Posted by lovemyoldguy View Post
    Yay!!!! Congratulations and of course....we must have pictures!
    Pics to come tomorrow I took the video camera with me but FORGOT the darn video card that goes in it!! So I will be more on top of my game tomorrow.
    Pony walked off the trailer in a strange place and started to eat grass, she called for her friends twice and that was it, we groomed her and picked her feet got her a big bucket of water and put her new sheet on her. I ran to the house to put the dogs in and when i got back DD was sitting on her in the stall( big NO NO I know) and pony was happily munching on her hay, not bothered AT ALL by the kid. Pony is only 6 so I was not totally sure what to expect, but once again the people we got her from were open and honest, which is a nice thing to find in the horse world.
    This is the second pony I have shipped in for DD sight unseen ( I had the option to return them both if they did not work out) and both trainers have been DEAD honest in their descriptions of their ponies. I totally appreciate that. And with this string of luck I might never to "try" a pony again LOL just kidding!!!
    Kim

[quote=hellerkm;4519413I ran to the house to put the dogs in and when i got back DD was sitting on her in the stall( big NO NO I know) and pony was happily munching on her hay, not bothered AT ALL by the kid.[/quote]

I had to laugh out loud at that!!! Too funny. Your daughter is obviously very excited which I can't blame her!

So I must have missed a few of your threads...but I thought you were set on ponies for a while. (yes I read alot of your posts as it's cool that your are such a horsey mom to your daughters)!!!!! Which one of your dauthers is this one for? What is the plan with the new arrival? And yes, we all want to see pictures!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Acres View Post
    I had to laugh out loud at that!!! Too funny. Your daughter is obviously very excited which I can't blame her!

So I must have missed a few of your threads...but I thought you were set on ponies for a while. (yes I read alot of your posts as it's cool that your are such a horsey mom to your daughters)!!!!! Which one of your dauthers is this one for? What is the plan with the new arrival? And yes, we all want to see pictures!!!
    We do havea great pony for my DD who is 6 she rides her DAILY ( like 6 or 7 days a week) I came across a free lease offer for a small pony on the outside course and inquired, well we all know what that means ( it means the same thing as we are just going to LOOK at puppys!) she seemed to be a good compliment to our current pony, even temperment, sound, sane, smaller than what we have now, and different enough ( current pony is very forward new pony a bit slower and needs more push!) that we felt the learning experience would be good for Dd.
    My older DD is on a horse hunt, she grew 6 inches this summer and outgrew her large pony much faster than we every thought would happen. So Lg pony is moving along to a friend who is going to finish her and then sell her. We are searching for a quiet packer for Dd to move up on, I think we might wait until spring only because DD is really involved in school over the winter and has a nice mare at home that she is riding currently. Only issue with her is that she is ridden by DD and another girl so MEg only rides about 4-5 days a week, not a huge issue though until spring and summer when she will want to ride daily.
    So there is the scoop, thanks for asking, and yes we are having a blast!
    Kim

I can't wait to get my pony and have our girls ride together! It is going to be such fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    The quotes are coming in, working on getting health records, finding blankets, etc. It's going to be a long couple of weeks, isn't it.
    LOL yes it is! At least once I get Emmy's sizes Chris is letting me go shopping I told him Shiver couldn't have all the spiffy stuff!