The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default slightly weepy eye

and sensitive to light.
    Pony had a bit of goop in her R eye, is definitely sensitive to light, so I flushed it with saline solution. No more goop but she still tears up. Any recommendations other than saline to flush it until I get the vet out?
    thanks

A triple antibiotic eye ointment can't hurt. Be careful to check that it's a non-steroidal ointment until the vet can recommend something.
    Rachael
    Silver Creek Farms
    silvercreeksporthorses.com

Don't put anything into the eye until the vet says it is okay!

Try to keep her quiet and preferably in a dark stall if she is sensitive to light. Also try to keep her from rubbing the eye on anything. If you can, try to see if anything is embedded in the eye but don't pull it out if anything is there - just let the vet know.

Eyes can go downhill fast in no time at all - I am glad you called the vet... having dealt w/ my fairshare of eye problems I can relate! I do hope it is nothing .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Yes, definitely call the vet but in the meantime you can safely use "Eye Brite" to rinse the eyes. It is made from Euphrasia officinalis which is an excellent and safe herb for eye irritations. You can also get a Homeopathic remedy "Euphrasia 30c" and give just ONE dose of that.

Last week I had a pony who had an eye that was weepy and inflammed. I gave him 1 dose of Euphrasia 30c and the next morning he was back to normal. Good stuff.

But, call the vet, too.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Quote Originally Posted by caballus View Post
    Yes, definitely call the vet but in the meantime you can safely use "Eye Brite" to rinse the eyes.
    Please do not follow this advice. The above product contains small bits of the actual herb. You don't want to put bits and pieces of anything solid in the eye. Even the contains of the stuff warns agains putting it directly in the eye. Good grief!

My error ... the product is called "Calm Eyes" put out by Last Chance Ranch and it is made from Eye Bright. Wash area around the eyes AND to rinse the eyes. Daughter's BF used this when he got roofing tar dripped in his eyes. Cleared it up within hours.

That being said there ARE products called Brite Eyes (I was thinking of the human rinse) that are specifically made for eye rinses from Euphrasia officinalis. So not sure to what specific brand you're cautioning against, rcloisonne.

To make your own rinse:
    "(Euphrasia 3x-6x) makes an excellent eye rinse for general bathing or to promote healing of more serious conditions. One drop of Euphrasia to every 20 mls of tepid, STERILE, purified water can be used for bathing with a swab. Alternatively, you may draw up a prepared solution with a sterile syringe (no needle) to squirt gently into the eyes taking care not to bump the eye. Oral doses of 6c-30c, or higher (refer to your homeopath), can be given simultaneously to work at a different level."
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Thanks to everyone who posted.
    At least it has been cloudy and cool and no bright sunlight here.
    Stopping by the vet this afternoon to get some meds.

We have two TBs who love to mess up their eyes. For just weepy, we rinse and put on fly mask. For the least bit of swelling (after checking to make sure nothing is in the eye), fly mask & IV bute (that should be bananmine, don't know where my mind was), for swelling that doesn't go down right away or light senstivity....call the vet ASAP. Period.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Nov. 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: change bute to banamine

Vet gave me two dif eye ointments. I'm not at home now so can't remember the names. Hopefully this will clear her eye up.