The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Name Help. Any Ideas pics and pedigree included

Also posted in off-course for more responses/ideas.

Bought a 3yr old OTTB gelding in September . He is dark, brown, sometimes looks black and sometimes a more seal-y brown depending on the light. He has two small (dime-sized) stars under his forelock.

He is not incredibly social with people or horses. He's not mean he is just the type of horse that likes to people/horse watch. Very observent, just not really a participant. Riding wise he's a saint and klind of wise beyond his years and training. But after you ride he does this funny protest thing when you put him in the stall he will crow-hop and head-toss, etc. Like he is a big boy asserting his displeasure. Then he goes back to being a bump on the log, lol

His registered name in No Halo 3. I am not going to show him as “No Halo” and am looking for ideas for a show name. His barn name is halo.

Attached is his pedigree for name ideas. http://www.pedigreequery.com/no+halo3

I was thinking include the halo or something that has to do with angels, light, etc. The definition of halo is divine aura, but I don’t necessarily like that.

Here are some pics of him when we first got him.
    At the track http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...54&id=18204172
    First day in the field http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e9&id=18204172
    Under saddle http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...48&id=18204172
    Hnging out after a ride http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...19&id=18204172
    Some names I have thought of are

High Halo
    Bonafide Halo

others that COTHers suggested
    Constellation
    Halo there
    Devil may Care
    Mosaic Halo
    The Saint
    hidden halo
    covenant

What are your ideas/thoughts?

I like The Saint.....I liked that TV show plus you want to hope he will be one for you at the events!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

My thoughts: Keep the JC name.

Show Name Syndrome is one of the main reasons why it's difficult to track OTTBs in the sport-horse world and learn about pedigrees for TBs as sport horses.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post

Show Name Syndrome is one of the main reasons why it's difficult to track OTTBs in the sport-horse world and learn about pedigrees for TBs as sport horses.
    I second this. Love the name "No Halo". I have Sir Edgar and Little Grundoon. Neither is a prize, but they grow on you after a while. LOVE the pedigree. Never seen one with that much Turn To.

True...good point. No Halo is a cute name too. Not as bad as most of mine. My latest OTTB I've kept his JC name...even though it isn't fantastic. Just seeing if the old wives tale is true and maybe I'll have better luck if I don't change his name
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

LOVE LOVE LOVE his pedigree! He is bred similarly to my former Advanced horse Northlight (JC Diamondham) http://www.pedigreequery.com/diamondham

And, I Absolutly adore the name "No Halo". I would keep it as his show name.

Good Luck!

Johanna
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

Halo No............?

I thought it was funny..........you know, like HAIL NO, but it may just be lame...............
    4..3..2..1...Have a nice ride!!!

No Halo isnt a horrible name, but I really dont care for the connontation (sp?) and would prefer a more positive name.

I see your point about OTTB, TB sporthorse tracking. And I would fully agree if I believed his breeders/former owners were breeding for sporthorses, not raceshorses. They for a racehorse, he was not a good one and now he is moving on to a new job. If they purposelly are picking the pedigree for a sporthorse than yea pay homage to the registered name.

I have ridden TBs bred for sport and I would never change their name as it is hard for the breeder to keep up with their get. (ironically the last horses name was "First Lord" - guess we are in a religous phase ) However, I doubt, could be wrong, that his breeders bred with a sporthorse future in mind. Not to be argumentative, just a thought.
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

Quote Originally Posted by QHEventr View Post
    LOVE LOVE LOVE his pedigree! He is bred similarly to my former Advanced horse Northlight (JC Diamondham) http://www.pedigreequery.com/diamondham

And, I Absolutly adore the name "No Halo". I would keep it as his show name.

Good Luck!

Johanna
    Nice! is that you in the pic on pedigreequery?
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

That is indeed me in that photo. That photo is actually from our very last Advanced HT at Poplar in 2004. He is now the most amazing pasture puff anyone could ever ask for!

Thanks for asking! I love talking about my boy as he is my pride and joy!

Johanna

Quote Originally Posted by Keep1Belle View Post
    No Halo isnt a horrible name, but I really dont care for the connontation (sp?) and would prefer a more positive name.

I see your point about OTTB, TB sporthorse tracking. And I would fully agree if I believed his breeders/former owners were breeding for sporthorses, not raceshorses. They for a racehorse, he was not a good one and now he is moving on to a new job. If they purposelly are picking the pedigree for a sporthorse than yea pay homage to the registered name.

I have ridden TBs bred for sport and I would never change their name as it is hard for the breeder to keep up with their get. (ironically the last horses name was "First Lord" - guess we are in a religous phase ) However, I doubt, could be wrong, that his breeders bred with a sporthorse future in mind. Not to be argumentative, just a thought.
    Yes, but when you keep his JC name and he does well, I can look up his pedigree and look for similar horses OTT. So while it may not help the breeders it helps those shopping to give them a second job. This how easy it is for all of us to track Courageous Comet and his siblings. Of course we have some help because his bloodlines have been published, but sometimes I will look up a horse I see at a horse trial on JC because I suspect the horse might be a TB.

Gry - I agree 100%

The reason Diamond competed as Northlight is because when we got him off the track, I was 16 and couldn't stand the thought of competing him as "Diamondham". I laugh now, because Diamondham has become his nickname over the years. I call him that everyday around the barn, and it has really grown on me. If he had come into my life now, He might have stayed "Diamondham".

My newest guy is "Mariatom" which I really like! I'm surprised at how much I like it. I could think of 10 other names he could compete as, but I adore Mariatom even though noone pronounces it correctly.

I also go straight to Pedigreequery trying to get pedigrees on top event horses. It is a BIG help if they compete under their JC name. Remember also, Someone out there thought about that name, and cared enough about it to give it to them for whatever reason. You seem to have lucked out with the name No Halo, as it is quite good compared to some!

Johanna

I'll second (thrid or forth) PLEASE keep his jockey club name! His pedigree is absolutely outstanding for sport--it is one that I checked out a few months ago. (Did you know that Hay Patcher was also the dam of Broad Brush!!! This is truly one of the top pedigrees for sport I've seen come off the track.)

For guys so well bred to get lost in the system with a random name is just heart breaking to those of us that try to pay attention to these things. I've pulled several off the track and one of the great things about keeping their name is that the CANTER folks/and others who volunteer so much heart and effort are actually able to recognize these guys when they are successful in second careers, but only if they keep their names. I can't give a bunch of money to support their work, but I sure like being able to give them the encouragement, but they wouldn't get if I changed the names.

When trackable OTTBs do well in sport it only helps all those other horses on the track get new jobs. With the WB snobbery today it's getting tougher.

subk, QHEventer and Gry2Yng said it very well.

A 'show name' is something of a disservice to a TB with a heritage and a history.

Keeping the name is a simple act you can do to help the cause of OTTBs. You can even go a little further, like QHEventer and post a pic of your horse in his new career on Pedigree Query.

Default Congratulations!

...on your new horse. He looks like a cool guy. I have a Hay Halo baby too (a 13 year old baby), barn name also is "Halo". You can pair about anything you like with it. I kept the JC name for my boy because it is fine and I am not very creative.

However I would pick something that has meaning for you, a place, a concept, or something that reflects his personality, etc... Let us know how it goes!
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

Give credit where credit is due...............keep the JC name

love it!