The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on Doubling up on My Babu?

Hypo Pedigree Here

Are there any downsides to the My Babu line? I haven't heard anything about him besides the JJ Babu/event horse producer stuff... In my own (admittedly still learning pedigrees) head, I can't help but wonder (in an ideal world) what a keeper filly crossed with, say, Triple Twist would produce...

Thoughts?

(and yes, I realize there are LOTS of variables Just wondering what folks thoughts are)
    -Jessica

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

It's a great double through Missy Babu. My Babu himself was tiny, almost pony sized, but he was severely malnourished during WWII. It's really a miracle that he was as successful as he was as a race horse. Other than possible size limitations, there are no downsides. Theatrical is probably as good a modern TB line on paper for sport as there is. He's got the great Matchem Sassafras line to go along with all of the other goodies in his pedigree.

Foal would be FF20, which is not one of the really super sporthorse female families. Better at racing, but some very nice sport horse lines have come from 20. Belthazar is second dam of Lear Fan and Bel Sheba. Miesque is from this family, and so is Breakfast Bell. 20-a gets you Sunmelia, Nirgal, Terka and Tantieme, Buck Up/Roman, and Mince Pie/Le Haar.

Edited to add that there is a possibility of a ridgling, since Weekend Surprise was a granddaughter of Missy Baba, and she did produce ridglings with frequency. But I haven't heard that about any of the other Missy Baba lines. One of her daughters, Gay Missile, is very close in AFR's pedigree and was also the granddam of a huge number of European event horses through her son, Gay Mecene, who was exported to France.

I doubt, though, if I'd want to breed Maisie to A. P. Indy, though.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Nov. 24, 2009 at 09:45 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Viney, have you ever thought of setting upself up as a sporthorse bloodstock agent?

While i think it's incredibly generous of you to share your hard-earned knowledge for free - i would also like to see you make a little money at it too. Sort of like BRIS reports but with a horse in sport orientation.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Viney - Thank you for your thoughts! I was really hoping that I wasn't missing something horribly glaring. Both Actor and Maisie have spent their lives in the breeding shed - Actor hasn't produced much in the way of race horses, but also hasn't been bred much at all, and Maisie has produced some winners.

Actor is about 16.1-16.2, and Maisie is maybe 16.2-16.3 and is a large framed mare, so size shouldn't be an issue.. I have a 2 year old by Actor out of a Gato del Sol/Temperance Hill mare who is just fantastic - has a great mind and is a beautiful mover... I'm so excited to have them both in my barn, and I wish I could fast forward 'till 2011 to see what they can produce
    -Jessica

Missy Baba is considered to be one of the most important of TB broodmares, and I personally wouldn't hesitate to inbreed to her. You would be doubling up on My Babu and also Uvira (Umidwar) as well.
    Viney is correct, A Fine Romance's granddam on his sire's side is Gay Missile, a good daughter of Missy Baba. (Brave Shot (GB) is Bold Bidder x Gay Missile x Sir Gaylord) - so I do have a strong bias to that family.
    Good luck with your breeding plans - keep us posted!

I haven't heard anything about him besides the JJ Babu/event horse producer stuff...
    My Babu also appears in the pedigree of Anky's Olympic dressage horse Bonfire, and in the pedigree of the RPSI approved TB stallion Sea Accounts, and in the pedigrees of the TB sport sires Noble Houston, Salute the Truth, and A Fine Romance (already mentioned.) (My Babu is also in the pedigree of my own approved Friesian Sporthorse stallion.)

None of that is earth shattering information, but it might be fun trivia since you were interested in My Babu .
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

A grandson of My Babu, Raja Baba has sired at least 9 stallions who have themselves been high on the USEF leadin stallion lists in H/J and Eventing

Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeFarm View Post
    A grandson of My Babu, Raja Baba has sired at least 9 stallions who have themselves been high on the USEF leadin stallion lists in H/J and Eventing
    and Raja Baba traces to My Babu through that same female family - out of Missy Baba - he is a 1/2 brother to Gay Missile.

Of interest, Missy Baba has Dark Ronald (much venerated in Holsteiner breeding) through her dam line in the 3rd generation.

Thank you all

I'll let you know how things go in the spring - with luck we'll have a lovely healthy foal on the ground in 2011
    -Jessica