The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Name Help. Any Ideas pics and pedigree included

Also posted in off-course for more responses/ideas.

Bought a 3yr old OTTB gelding in September . He is dark, brown, sometimes looks black and sometimes a more seal-y brown depending on the light. He has two small (dime-sized) stars under his forelock.

He is not incredibly social with people or horses. He's not mean he is just the type of horse that likes to people/horse watch. Very observent, just not really a participant. Riding wise he's a saint and klind of wise beyond his years and training. But after you ride he does this funny protest thing when you put him in the stall he will crow-hop and head-toss, etc. Like he is a big boy asserting his displeasure. Then he goes back to being a bump on the log, lol

His registered name in No Halo 3. I am not going to show him as “No Halo” and am looking for ideas for a show name. His barn name is halo.

Attached is his pedigree for name ideas. http://www.pedigreequery.com/no+halo3

I was thinking include the halo or something that has to do with angels, light, etc. The definition of halo is divine aura, but I don’t necessarily like that.

Here are some pics of him when we first got him.
    At the track http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...54&id=18204172
    First day in the field http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e9&id=18204172
    Under saddle http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...48&id=18204172
    Hnging out after a ride http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...19&id=18204172
    Some names I have thought of are

High Halo
    Bonafide Halo

What are your ideas/thoughts?

The first thing I thought of, because of his two little stars, was "Double Tap." But that doesn't seem quite right. Maybe "The Stars Aligned" could be a fun name. Sorry, I'm not too imaginative.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Earning My Halo
    Lost My Halo
    Ethereal Air (my friend had this as her email once: I think it means heavenly melody)
    Good Heavens
    Heavens Above

Ok, I think I'm at the end of the creative line for now.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

thanks! I like double tap. At one point in time we thought about calling him "all caps" because a friend suggested big ego and I said no, my friend is cocky and reminds me of people that type in all caps. Halo is small so we then joked we could also name him "small caps"

I like Good Heavens as well. We thought about Goodness Gracious if he was a mare.

Keep them coming
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

What about just Halo? Or you could combine the two grandsires and call him Halo Hill.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Smile

I agree with just "HALO". I was listening to that song the other day and thought it would be a great name for a hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    What about just Halo? Or you could combine the two grandsires and call him Halo Hill.
    right! just keep it simple, I don't mean to sound dense but I had never really considered just calling him "halo". I will add that to the list as well as Halo Hill that is good as well.

Hey, I am sure you already are aware of this, but Halo is a pretty big-time racehorse sire. Barbara Linvingston has a bunch of photographs of him on her website if you are interested in seeing pictures of his grandparents. His eyes are the coolest color that I've ever seen on a horse... they are an amber color. Very unique. I have heard that he had quite a big temper and/or personality.

I put a vote in for No Halo.

Quote Originally Posted by GinnyB View Post
    Hey, I am sure you already are aware of this, but Halo is a pretty big-time racehorse sire. Barbara Linvingston has a bunch of photographs of him on her website if you are interested in seeing pictures of his grandparents. His eyes are the coolest color that I've ever seen on a horse... they are an amber color. Very unique. I have heard that he had quite a big temper and/or personality.

I put a vote in for No Halo.
    yep, I think that may be why at first I hadnt considered it. I will google for pics of his grandsire, Ive only seen the grainy ones on the pedigree website.