The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile I need gift ideas for a thank-you for my trainer

I am in the final process of buying a really wonderful horse (trying not to jinx it by talking about it). The vet check is tomorrow, and if all goes well, my new equine partner comes home on Wednesday.

My trainer has been a solid rock throughout this process. She helped me determine what I need in an equine partner. She buoyed me up after a really horrible test ride. She made numerous phone calls. She said "no" to a lot of bad choices. In short, she has been great.

Although I've paid her for her time, I also would like to give her a gift to thank her for her extra support and help. I'm kind of at a loss about what to choose. Should I get her a gift certificate to a nice restaurant? A gift certificate for something horsey? A huge box of really nice chocolates? A manicure or pedicure?

I want whatever I give her to be meaningful but useful--not just another doodad to choke her shelves and require dusting. Any trainers out there who can give me insight into what small token of gratitude would fill a trainer's heart with pleasure? (Besides a handsome pool boy to bring you cold drinks in the summer and hot chocolate in the winter or that perfect FEI-level horse you've always wanted...)

How much are you wanting to spend?

Hmm...I hadn't put a price on it, but I suppose in the $25-40 range would be acceptable. Does that sound too cheap?

Starbuck's giftcards always seem to go over well.

I also hand out several movie buckets a year. You know take a bag put in microwave popcorn, a 2 ltr bottle of soda, some box candy, and a Blockbuster giftcard. Those always go over really well.