The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default is it ok to ask another opinion from a vet?

so while I was on vacation my colt skinned his forehead, the BO sent him to her vet (her vet was closer) for emergency surgery. the colt ended up with 40 staples in his forehad and it looked ok so he was sent home. now he is back at her vets clinic because there is an infection and some black skin. I have no problem with BOs vet, but I'm wondering if I should call my own vet for consult? or would that be not advisable since he is already being treated? also jingles will be appreciated
    thank you

not a problem at all. Just call your vet and say "I'd like a second opinion on xyz" and then call the first vet's office and say "please release my records to Dr 2 for a consult"
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

I agree if you are worried ask for a second opinion. I got one years ago that made the world of difference in my horse! I would never get surgery on myself without at least 2 opinions.

Yep, I think it's completely fine to ask for a second opinion. I have in previous cases and as long as you're straightforward with all the involved parties I think it's fine.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

OUCH!!!!!!!! I would say that 40 staples is more than "skinned his forehead".
    If youarenot comfortable with what the BO''s vet is doing and saying, I would definitely get a second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by twcolabear View Post
    so while I was on vacation my colt skinned his forehead, the BO sent him to her vet (her vet was closer) for emergency surgery. the colt ended up with 40 staples in his forehad and it looked ok so he was sent home. now he is back at her vets clinic because there is an infection and some black skin. I have no problem with BOs vet, but I'm wondering if I should call my own vet for consult? or would that be not advisable since he is already being treated? also jingles will be appreciated
    thank you

Yeah, when I read the summary before clicking on the thread the combination of "skinned his forehead" and "surgery" did not compute...I think 40 staples is a bit more than just skinned.

Definitely get a second opinion if you're at all concerned or uncomfortable with his treatment. It shouldn't be a problem. Let your vet know the other vet is treating the horse, and let the other vet know you'd like your regular vet to take a look, and it should be fine.

I hope your horse heals well.

Yeah, when my horse nearly detatched his forelock (this was when we discovered he REALLY was scared of clippers and from then on would need sedation for it) it only took a few stitches to sew it back on. 40 staples sounds like SERIOUS skinning!

And I agree, it should never be a problem to ask for a second opinion.

Most vets have ZERO problem with clients getting a second opinion. Usually, if a case is tough, I relish a fresh set of eyes. Either I find out I was on the right track, or get a new perspective for the future. If the case is not tough, I feel confident enough in my decisions that I don't expect much difference of opinion. Either way it's all good. You can't trust a vet unless you have worked with them, and sometimes that means someone else saying they did it right, or saying they can see how they did it and here's another option as well.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Considering the treating vet is not yours to begin with, there should be no problem, if for nothing else than to keep the history complete.

(and 40 staples is a ton.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

There should be no issues with getting a second opinion! Plus, you're really just having your vet check out his client. Good luck - I hope you're colt gets better soon

Absolutely ok - especially in your case. I can't see how anyone could be offended that you want your regular vet, who knows your horse, to treat him.

I recently took my horse for a second opinion. Though I admit I really felt guilty and struggled when I decided to take Pirate to Missouri for an opinion on his squamous cell carcinoma. But for various reasons my normal vets - who I love - were hesitant to do surgery on his eyelid. Pi is already blind in the other eye and my vet was very concerned that he couldn't get clean margins without damaging the eyelid and losing the eye. Given their own personal feelings (friendship with me, etc)... they were just more hesitant. When the treatment we were using stopped working ... I came to terms with the fact that really my best choices were doing surgery or ignoring the cancer and letting it go. But I couldn't make a decision like that - probable blindness or early death - without getting another opinion, especially from an expert.

As for the amount of staples - I guess it depends on where the injury was. My TB cut himself on his upper eyelid going into his stall - about a 2-3" cut that went down to the bone - and it took 22 staples to close it up because of the location. I have pictures at home that I can upload later.

thanks for suggestions. I talked to my vet and he said what was being done is what he would have done in this situation so I feel comfortable with that. also we discussed other issues that the new vet suggested and I got my regular vets opinion on the matter.

The colt is better, but he did have a hole down to the bone in his forehead where the skin has died off and in parts where it was too infected and had to be cut off last week. This week it is closing and you almost can't see the bone. I will definitely have to post pictures so you all can see what it looks like. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by twcolabear View Post

The colt is better, but he did have a hole down to the bone in his forehead where the skin has died off and in parts where it was too infected and had to be cut off last week. This week it is closing and you almost can't see the bone. I will definitely have to post pictures so you all can see what it looks like. Thanks again.

LOL, I suppose if not here, where else can you share with the bone of your horse showing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Is it ok for WHO? (or is it WHOM? )

You?

Your horse?

Your vet?

The other vet?

What outcome do you want from this? Then find the solution and don't worry about hurting someone's feelings (if a vet is that sensitive then perhaps they need help)...

What do you think might happen if you get a 2nd opinion?

Bad happen?

Good happen?

Why are we as people such wussies? (not necessarily implying OP is, just a general statement, considering so many are scared to tell BOs or trainers they are moving on)....shrugging...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.