The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff - I'm doubting my choices lately... vent and would love advice

I was reading the "I'm doubting my choices lately... vent and would love advice" thread - lots of good advice there. And many folks suggested that there are so many good horses why spend the time on a horse that may not be a good fit.

That's my situation and I'm looking for help and ideas. I have a horse that is not a good fit for a beginner middle aged rider. He's big, strong and gets strong with someone he knows he can intimidate (waving hand here).

I posted about him at http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=230141 and on another horse forum. I have spoken with numerous trainers and riders about him. No takers. And with all the good horses out there in this market why would there be?

As an update he has been ridden consistently for this past month by an experienced dressage rider and is doing surprisingly well. Her take on Lockee is that he gets tired of the arena work and wants to GO! So she canters him as much as he wants and after a good canter session he settles down and gets to work. He could probably do training or First Level if he was given a good workout before or after schooling sessions although I still think he'd rather be out of the arena for the most part.

This rider recently took him for a lesson with a very good local dressage trainer, who thought that his problem is a basic lack of training coupled with the fact that he has learned he can intimidate his rider. She thought he could be "fixed" but that it would take time and patience and an experience trainer/rider.

If you know of someone who might be interested or have suggestions where I could try to relocate him please suggest away. Thanks.
    Last edited by coymackerel; Nov. 23, 2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: forgot to add info about lesson

Coym,
    Are you looking to sell him or to give him to the right home? If you are not looking to recoup a significant amount of money from him, then what i'd like to suggest is you contact local colleges -- looking for students who are strong riders who cannot afford to buy themselves a horse at the level it sounds like your boy could be. You might also contact local eventing groups -- perhaps his ideal would be to do cross country as a break from his dressage work?

Just a thought,
    AMC
    cwer.org
    AnnMarie Cross, Pres, Crosswinds Equine Rescue, cwer.org
    Sidell IL (near Champ./UofI/Danville IL/IN state border)

Default $$$

I am not looking to recoup any money for him, and would even be willing to help pay shipping to the right home.

Thank you for the suggestions about local colleges - I will give that a try.

I'm know nothing about eventing - he jumped with his previous owner up to 2'6" but she said he wasn't a packer (big surprise!). I thought that wouldn't be high enough.