The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Congrats Faye Wuesthofen- Saddle Seat Triple Crown Champion

A rare feat was completed this weekend for Saddle Seat Equitation riders, and rider won the NHS Good Hands Final, UPHA Senior Challenge Cup Final and USEF Saddle Seat Medal Final all in the same year. That rider was Faye Wuesthofen, abour her mount Kiss of the Zodiac. The Good Hands Final was held at the Mane Event Horse Show in Springfield, IL, in October, and the Challenge Cup and Medal this past week at the American Royal in Kansas City, MO.

Here is the pattern from the Good Hands http://nhsgoodhands.com/www.nhsgoodh...m/Pattern.html and a video of Phase I from that competition http://nhsgoodhands.com/www.nhsgoodh...e_1_Video.html

Here is the pattern from the Challenge Cup http://www.trot.org/forum/attachment...8&d=1258834939

And in the Medal class the very rarely called for test of exchanging horses was asked for! The exchange was between Wuesthofen and her Kiss of the Zodiac and Ellen Medley Wright who was already riding a horse borrowed for the class, Brittany McGinnis's Soli Deo Glori, as her usual mount was injured.

Here is an interview with Faye and her sister from back in August http://www.clubequestrian.com/videos...239730140.aspx
    Last edited by Renae; Nov. 23, 2009 at 05:07 PM.

Wow congrats to her !

P.

Renae, I am so glad you posted links to the workouts. I have a hunch that many riders in other disciplines have no clue about the precision and level of difficulty that is involved in saddle seat equitation 'pattern' workouts. (Pattern workouts being the equivalent of an individual dressage test, if that term is not familiar to some.)

What makes these patterns even more difficult is the sensitivity and 'game, go forwardness' nature of the horses. Most of these horses need only to have rider think canter and they're on their way into that gait. So, to have that much forwardness so obediently contained as to allow the transitions and pivots (SS term for either turn on forehand or haunch) shows just how skilled these riders are, just to complete a pattern correctly, let alone with elegance, panache and good form.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Nov. 23, 2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: clarity and fix typo
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Ditto, thank you for posting!

Hope they upload videos to the actual finals, would love for my students to see that workout pattern ridden.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Congratulations to her, that's awesome!

I would also loff to see vid of all 3 finals.

It's cool to see changing horses come back, as well. When I was a kid in New England many decades ago, that was THE workout you could almost count on seeing in EVERY eq. class at the 14-17 age group (hunters and Western too!). I've always kind of assumed that the reason it's not often done any more in saddle seat is b/c most of them ride at DeLovely anyway and I've been guessing it's kind of a given they've more or less all ridden each other's horses before..?? We certainly always did at my saddle seat barn anyway...

Nowadays I think my favorite workout is "make your own pattern", which can yield just as interesting results as changing horses did back in the day.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

The exchange of horses workout has been designated a Nationals level workout only and can only be called for when there is a tie between two riders. That is part of what makes it so exciting when it happens these days!

As far as barns represented of the Top Ten riders in the Medal class 4 were from Knollwood, 4 from DeLovely, 1 from Hollow Haven and 1 from Zubrod. In the UPHA Sr. Challenge Cup you have 4 from Knollwood, 2 from DeLovely, 2 from Zubrod, 1 from Hollow Haven, and 1 from Sugar Knoll Farm. In the Good Hands Finals there was 4 from DeLovely, 2 from Knollwood, 1 from Country Meadow Farm, 2 from Zubrod, and 1 from Hollow Haven. DeLovely does a great job but they are certainly not the only game in town.

I am hoping USEF puts up video from the Royal on the Club Equestrian site.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Nowadays I think my favorite workout is "make your own pattern", which can yield just as interesting results as changing horses did back in the day.
    That was my neice's dream when she was showing Equitation. We had loan of the most wonderful Morgan mare, the horse knew patterns inside and out. it is almost like she would be listen to the announcer read the pattern and memorizing it, LOL.

Emily's pocket pattern always involved a canter serpentine, we loved the fact that this mare could do them so well.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch