The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Do You Pay For Field Board?

Board is going up again at the barn where I keep my horses, so it got me curious as to what others are paying for field board and what kind of amenities are included.

I will be paying $375 and I'm in the middle of nowhere in Maryland about 70 miles outside of a metropolitan area.

The pastures are degraded and wet and muddy all winter, except when they're frozen mud. There are too many horses on the property, and though most (but not all) have access to run-in sheds they can get crowded when the weather's bad and sometimes the low man gets chased out.

Horse are grained/hayed twice a day and get round bales in the winter. Grain is generic from the feed store and horses are fed in the fields so some don't get their entire rations while others get too much. Hay is low quality grass though this year's is looking better than usual due to a good season.

Price includes holding for the farrier, trims and deworming. On the plus side, the BO lives on the property and is an experienced horseman who is often able to diagnose and treat minor issues without the need for bringing in a vet. He also uses a great farrier (not so easy to come by in these parts) who is on site once a week and so is readily available when problems arise (e.g. abscesses, resetting shoes, etc.). Stalls are available for emergencies, usually without any additional charge.

We also have access to trails and to a large ring with jumps and decent footing and lights.

I live near Fair Hill and pay $200 a month.

This includes fields that are a bit grazed down, but still have grass. There are two horses in my field now and have never had to many horses to stand in the run in shed.

The horses are fed in the shed. When I owned the filly, she would leave her shed and eat other horses' food. So they put a bar up - simple drop in set up. She learned how to lift that out and get out (the other three were not locked in, just her), so they had to put some screws in to lock it down so fatso couldn't get out and steal food. The fourth horse was my mare who was boss, but not a piggy, so filly would not eat her food, just the other two.

Board includes store brand grain and hay. In the summer, they get rationed. Now that it is winter, it is free choice decent hay (square bales placed in the shed). Barn owner feeds twice a day, but I schedule and hold for farrier and handle worming and everything else.

There is a really nice, large ring with jumps. Not much trail riding on site, though there is a bit of woods I can meander through. I am only a 10 min trailer ride to Fair Hill, though, so not bad.

The owners are experienced farmers and horse people, probably not as much as yours, but they do know a real emergency from a scratch.

Default In St. Louis Missouri

We field board a horse. $250/month.

Includes senior feed - horse is 20+ yrs.

Turnout with one other horse. They get fed together but get along. Grass Hay in winter.

There are 500+ acres trails. Jumps in field, no riding arena of any sort.

Total of 11 horses on property.

I do know that there are a few places around here that are about $130/month but they include hay and no grain. People basically create a co-op to feed their horses. Problem with that is they also end up feeding other horses that look thin just because they feel sorry for them and the owner never comes out. So I don't know what it ends up costing them a month in grain.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I pay $350/month in Mont. Co, MD. It's a large facility with two outdoor rings (one lighted), a large indoor, several xc courses, access to state park. My horse lives out with ~20 other field boarded horses in a 70 acre field. Stalls are available for use, but anything longer than a day you usually get charged. They will bring in for vet/farrier if you use the ones the farm uses. The farm vet comes twice a week and farrier usually at least once/week.

The horses are not fed grain unless the owners do it. You can feed the generic farm grain at no charge or bring your own (not sure it's composition, I think it's pretty basic). The field is quite lush, so often we have to muzzle our horses in Spring/Summer b/c they get too fat . In winter months, they do get large roundbales at a pretty constant rate.

Owners live on premises and have been in the business for decades and they are invaluable resources.

I probably forgot some things, so some of my fellow boarders may chime in .

$100 mo/per horse for rental of the field. i have 2 horses, they have a good size field (mostly chewed down at this point) with a big double run in. there are stalls available for an emergency or if the weather is disgusting. i do all my own care and buy my own supplies and have use of all trails and a small outdoor. for an additional $150 a month i can use the "full care" boarders' amenities (2 indoors, 2 more outdoors, one huge, heated wash stall, ect) which i pay on one horse.

Are you in western Maryland or NE Maryland? I'm from Maryland and could probably point you in the right direction if you're up for a change. That sounds a little pricey to me, especially with the low quality hay, the condition of the pastures and the fact you are 70 miles from a city.

Field board- $300/month. I have it cut down to $200/month by feeding 2x/week and supplying his own feed (he doesn't eat much). I am only boarder, she has 12 other horses.
    Big fields, one smaller field out back that is flat and level. Lots of grass in most of the fields. Hay fed 2x/day, plenty of it. Horses fed grain 2x/day, and BO is not extremely knowledgeable but knows enough and pays attention to detail on each horse. Caught Murphy colicking when all he was doing was "bleh I don't feel good" kinda look on his face.
    Water is gross- when she has help in the summer it is clean, but in the winter is fairly dirty. I am peeved.
    Also swaps horses around on a regular basis (as in several times/week), and my horse has a check ligament injury (now 2 months) and she keeps wanting to put him in the field with a steep hill.
    I'm willing to work this stuff out with her as she feeds enough hay- last winter my easy keeper pony lost a LOT (as in ribs showing) of weight as the BO at another place did the old "2 flakes 2x/day/horse no matter the weather"

$175/mo, in central IL, does not include grain. Includes round hay bales in winter, properly rotated and managed grass pastures in summer, water troughs checked and filled multiple times daily, heated troughs in winter.

I love my barn.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

$300 (winter price). Includes as great pasture as you can get in the Front Range, hay in winter, grain (Progressive) and owner supplied supplements. Blanketing when necessary, first aid if necessary. Manager on property.
    Access to great indoor, tack room, warm water wash rack, 1600 acres to ride on.

Oops, this is in the Colorado Springs/Larkspur area.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Are you in western Maryland or NE Maryland? I'm from Maryland and could probably point you in the right direction if you're up for a change. That sounds a little pricey to me, especially with the low quality hay, the condition of the pastures and the fact you are 70 miles from a city.
    I'm in southern Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyluv View Post
    Water is gross- when she has help in the summer it is clean, but in the winter is fairly dirty.
    We've had this problem too. There were even a couple of instances last summer when I went out and found the trough empty with six horses milling around it.

Sorry, don't know too much about southern Maryland. Daughter went to St. Mary's College and was on the equestrian team, but that was a long time ago.

Still seems very high for pasture board. I would look around if I were you. Make sure you get references and talk to current boarders. Wish I could help.

Default you have a pm EAY

re: semi-stall, semi-field board in so. md.
    L'in'MAO at the horse world

We, in NW GA, have field board for $175/mo including hay (free choice in the winter, rationed in the summer), shelter, grain (the good stuff), can and do schedule farrier/vet etc and will hold. 300 acres of trails, jumps, arena being built. Also have access to stalls if there is an injury etc. Fields aren't overgrazed (2-4 horses per 5ac field or so). Its nice But then full board is only $275 lol I know we're lucky to be here!

Default SE Iowa

I grew up in NOVA, so I know that if I weren't living out here I wouldn't be able to afford a horse. For $185 you get nice fields with nutritious grass and automatic waterers, round bale of good hay from the farm in the winter, and your own stall for when you need it. Grain, supplements and stall-cleaning, shavings, etc, the responsibility of the boarder. We have an indoor and an outdoor arena with jumps and field after field with woods and trails. The BO is very generous about holding for farrier and vet and bringing in your horse if the weather gets bad--as it can do suddenly out here in the midwest. I love Fairfax Co, but I'm happy to be here!

$350 (pasture is same as stall board and mine still had a stall of his own). Before my horse was lame he was out 24/7 with 2-3 other horses in a nice grass pasture. Trees lined one side of the pasture and the massive barn another side. Free choice hay and as much grain the horse needs (my TB is an extremely hard keeper). Grain 2x a day. Fed supplements. Automatic water. Owner lives in area of barn. Hold for vet/farrier/equine orthodontist. They scheduled farrier too. They did wormer & just charged us for whatever vaccinations were.

12x12 stall in heated barn. They supplied shavings. Stalls cleaned everyday. Heated indoor arena- which is like 100x180+. Round pen in indoor. 150x250 outdoor. Outdoor round pen. Trails on property and access to neighbors. Horse walker. Jumps...
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

I charge $300/m for pasture board. Small groups, four board wood fence, run ins, grass in summer, free choice high quality hay in winter, Nutrena grain 2x/d (as much as req to keep good wt), will feed supps provided by owner, Indoor, jumps, BO on property, barn with stalls for tacking up and areas to store tack, etc. Large fields for hacking and jump field.

This is fairly "expensive" for this area, but I have a nice facility that is mostly private and that is what it takes for me to be willing to take on a few boarders.

In Lexington I paid close to $300 several years ago and they did not feed grain or supps, or provide anything other than hay in winter, no indoor, etc, and this was 6y ago or so.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

To offer cheap but good field board, some serious acreage is needed, as well as well maintained shelter and year round water.

Once those items are in place, it shouldn't be that difficult to keep costs down.

If they aren't in place, field board can be a losing proposition for the BO.

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    If they aren't in place, field board can be a losing proposition for the BO.
    That is definitely the issue here and I know that the BO is not making money off of his boarders. There are too many horses for the acreage and not enough grass pastures so lots of them need hay year-round.

I have three pasture boarders and charge $65/mo per horse. But it is "self-care" - they supply hay, grain, etc. I supply grass, salt and water. I will grain for an extra charge.

I've got an outside arena with lights, but no trail access unless folks want to take their life in their hands and ride on the gravel roads.

Think I paid around $200/month for pasture board when I lived in North Carolina. It included hay/grain.