The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Green Monkey fans, here's your chance!

I was just perusing the Fasig-Tipton Tx Dec. mixed sale catalog and there is a mare for sale that is in foal to The Green Monkey. Send me some money up front and I'll bid on her for you
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I'll start the bid at $1.00 Oh wait, I forgot minimum is $1000 sorry NO SALE

Has he had any foals race yet? Is he still standing stud?

I was wondering about that because my belief is no matter the breeding, if the horse is that big of a dud, then he will not produce anything of substance so I was wondering if there is any evidence to prove or disprove my theory.

Yes he is still standing at stud and no he hasn't had any race as he hasn't had any born yet. These things take time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    Has he had any foals race yet? Is he still standing stud?

I was wondering about that because my belief is no matter the breeding, if the horse is that big of a dud, then he will not produce anything of substance so I was wondering if there is any evidence to prove or disprove my theory.
    .....I'll have to think on this a bit -- but there are mares that had unsuccessful careers on the track (or never made it to a race) but produced decent runners.

Am I the only one who thinks he wasn't *THAT* big of a dud? Yeesh, he raced three times (in three consecutive months), had two 4th place finishes and a 3rd. Then they retired him.

If they had given him some time, who knows, he may have improved.

His foals haven't even hit the ground yet. Maybe they will all be super duds, but maybe not. Let's wait and see, shall we?
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tbracer65 View Post
    .....I'll have to think on this a bit -- but there are mares that had unsuccessful careers on the track (or never made it to a race) but produced decent runners.
    Alibhai comes to mind. He was unraced.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Yes he is still standing at stud and no he hasn't had any race as he hasn't had any born yet. These things take time.
    HA! I was thinking it was in 07 or 06 that he was retired...it was late in 2008...probably should have looked that up first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    I'm curious why you don't do your own research before coming up with your theory.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    I'm curious why you don't do your own research before coming up with your theory.

If you follow the scientific method, you come up with a theory or hypothesis, then prove or disprove it.....

And I'm not very good on google. Not my area of expertise.

As much as we all may laugh at the circumstances for which a group overpaid for the horse he isn't exactly chop liver as the would say. His race career was fully compromised by an injury with a pulled hind muscle which never went away. Also he didn't ask to be at the center of a bidding war.

Accordingly its not like he was a dud on the track without any excuses and further while his fee is perhaps too high (many other solid $10k choices abound) there are certainly far worse stud fees to pay for.

You mean 5k right Glimmer? And that is probably highly negotiable.

And don't forget: he's a sabino!

(he's actually a handsome horse, looks like he'd produce some nice hacks for the show ring in the UK)

Note: I cited $10k above and yes his fee published is $5k

TB Times Jan 15, 2010 - "First reported foal for The Green Monkey"

The first reported foal by world-record priced juvenile The Green Monkey was born on Wednesday [Jan 13, 2010] in Ocala.

The foal, a bay filly out of I’m Angela, by Kayrawan, was described by owner-breeder Jacqueline Fleck as “big, beautiful, and very correct.” The filly is the third foal out of I’m Angela, a six-time winner and earner of $112,816.

Digging up another thread from the grave as a daughter of The Green Monkey was in the winner's circle today at Gulfstream Park

Your Lovely (FL) broke her maiden with her 3-yr old debut - Race 10. She was wheeled back in 10-days from her last effort (8th place). Her record is now 4 starts 1-1-1

She was in for a $12.5k tag

Is she the first winner by The Green Monkey? Nope. His first crop reached the track this past summer and at DelMar his daughter - Kinz Funky Monkey took victory on Sep 2, 2012.

She is now 3 lifetime starts 1-1-1 with $64,400 in the bank.

Per the BloodHorse in September they indicated that has 24 registered [at the time 2-year-olds] in his initial crop. He's standing for $5k in Florida.

Lets hope they are pretty enough to make hunters or sweet enough to make trail horses!!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I just read on bloodhorse.com (Maiden Watch column) that half of The Green Monkey's runners have won.

I don't know what the average is or how many runners he has had, but that sounds pretty good. Especially since the mares that were bred to him probably weren't great.

According to the stats compiled by the Blood Horse, The Green Monkey currently has 5 winners from 14 runners. His crop's earnings of $208,256, while not particularly noteworthy, place him on the First Crop Sire List above such horses as Brother Derek, Notional, and Red Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    ... place him on the First Crop Sire List above such horses as Brother Derek, Notional, and Red Giant.
    The Green Monkey fee: $5k
    Brother Derek: $7,500
    Notional: $7,500

(Today Red Giant garners $3k for live/standing foal)

While the purchase of TGM was obscene he was unfortunately maligned for it and at $5k he is more of a value proposition then a lot of others. Smarty Jones at a fiscal cliff fall of just $7,500 today still makes little sense IMHO.

2 members found this post helpful.

He is absolutely no value at $5,000. Take a zero off, maybe for sport horses.

He's so highly thought of that he bred 8 mares this year.