The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shelter issue for coming winter..

So i've been fortunate enough to be offered a lease on an amazing horse property. It's the perfect acreage for my 3 horses and the pastures are in amazing conditions -no horses have been on it for years but the land lord has maintained it and mowed it.

There's a building connected to the fields that is a stall, run in, garage combo. The run in is rather small (12x9) because the land lord used to breed Welsh Ponies The stall is 12x12.

The landlord (a good friend of the family) is more than supportive with anything I want to do and my original plan was to buy a modular shed row barn with a run in, stall and tack room.

However... it's been SO wet in MD recently there's no way they're going to be able to bring the barn in until we have a dry spell or things start to freeze.

The South East most corner of the field is thickly tree lined so they have some shelter but I'm worried about them being exposed during the winter.

We don't get harsh winters here in MD, and they stay blanketed all winter.

Should I just leave them be or risk tearing up the yard and fields to get the barn in ?

Can they have access to both run-in and stall? If so I think you'll be fine. You could also have the new barn delivered once the ground freezes... otherwise you may be waiting until summer (if your MD weather is like our VA weather lately... wet!!!)

I would just wait until the ground freezes and then bring the shedrow in. You should have plenty of time by the time it freezes to either dry out or until major snow comes. Even if it's cold, they'll still have the trees in the meantime, but I would not rely on that all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    Can they have access to both run-in and stall?
    The stall doesn't open up into the pasture. Basically I could walk one horse into the stall but that would be the only option.

You have blankets for them, right? They should be fine. If it is going to be a severe storm, you might want to bring one in. I have seen several horses crowd in one stall without issue, so if they both want to crowd into the shed, there will be plenty of room. Probably no laying down, though. Four horses, four stalls available....everyone hanging out in one stall.

The way the weather looks, there is not going to be a dry spell or freeze for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    The way the weather looks, there is not going to be a dry spell or freeze for a while!
    Don't say that!! It's taken forever for them to be able to fix the water main that went to the barn (the property hasn't been used in so long they hadn't bothered to fix it) i'm SO impatient

Not to mention I think Ali is sick of me and my horses crashing at her place

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    Don't say that!! It's taken forever for them to be able to fix the water main that went to the barn (the property hasn't been used in so long they hadn't bothered to fix it) i'm SO impatient

Not to mention I think Ali is sick of me and my horses crashing at her place
    If she doesn't watch it, I will be there soon to - the new people renting the house next to my field are trying my patience - twenty cars crowding the lawn, put the fence up for their pet ducks right where I hose her off, weather permiting - let's hope she doesn't get injured and need to be hosed! I'm not sure the hose will be long enough to go elsewhere and she will not be all that happy about the ducks and barking dog!

I'm trying to hold out and convince the cityboy fiance that a farm is what he really needs....

Horizon now has pre-fab structures that are assembled on site rather than being delivered in one piece, for conditions like yours. They're also a great company to deal with.

www.shedsandgazebos.com

Click on "Horse Barns", then "Run-in shed kits"

Quote Originally Posted by tcgelec View Post
    Horizon now has pre-fab structures that are assembled on site rather than being delivered in one piece, for conditions like yours. They're also a great company to deal with.

www.shedsandgazebos.com

Click on "Horse Barns", then "Run-in shed kits"
    Even if the run-in shed was brought in pieces it would still be trucks and equipment in the fields, plus before I do anything I have to bring in the base material (crush n run and stone dust) which requires a dump truck

I would get the run in shed delivered as soon as possible. If you tear up the field a bit, you can reseed in the spring. In MD and VA, we often get days of cool rain or freezing rain. Horse blankets are helpful, but the horses will be pretty miserable without shelter. See how the landowner feels. Some landowners don't worry about the small stuff, and others are upset at any little spot of mud.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    I would get the run in shed delivered as soon as possible. If you tear up the field a bit, you can reseed in the spring. In MD and VA, we often get days of cool rain or freezing rain. Horse blankets are helpful, but the horses will be pretty miserable without shelter. See how the landowner feels. Some landowners don't worry about the small stuff, and others are upset at any little spot of mud.
    He doesn't mind horribly but at this point (and yes.. it's raining again here..) there's no way a truck could even get into the field. The fields aren't particularly muddy or damp in general (they're not in a deep gully or anything) but we've just had SO much rain there hasn't been anytime to dry out.

Can you build an overhang off of the existing barn? Your materials can be brought in by hand, wheelbarrow, or tractor. You'd set 6"x 6" posts, frame the roof out, and apply metal or fiberglass over that. If you can, put it out 12'-14' to allow multiple horses in at the same time.
    Last edited by JanWeber; Nov. 23, 2009 at 05:56 PM.

Blanket them well. They will be fine. These ARE horses, remember? They were built to live outside. It is US that has the problem with no shelter, not them.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    He doesn't mind horribly but at this point (and yes.. it's raining again here..) there's no way a truck could even get into the field. The fields aren't particularly muddy or damp in general (they're not in a deep gully or anything) but we've just had SO much rain there hasn't been anytime to dry out.
    I've been looking at the Horizon shelters as well. Just a thought: they're movable. If you can get the delivery truck into the property, it doesn't have to get all the way to the desired location.

Especially with the kit, you could deliver it anywhere and then carry the bits to where they belong -- even if that's just inside the fence line for now, and then plan to drag the thing elsewhere when things dry out.

(Does anyone actually *have* one of these things? They look nice, as do the Horizon shedrow barns!)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Blanket them well. They will be fine. These ARE horses, remember? They were built to live outside. It is US that has the problem with no shelter, not them.
    You are totally right, however I think i've been spooked because the last time I lived in this area (before I went to college) I boarded at a self care barn with no run ins, apparently the farm owner (who was not a horse person) got called by the SPCA because the horses were out in the summer with no run in.

I obviously see the difference between run ins for shade and for shelter but I don't want the SPCA called on me!

My neighbor never lets her horses in her barn. They have good blankets, but constantly have rain rot, other skin issues, and poor hoof quality. She has a hard time keeping weight on them and keeping shoes on them. Horses need to be able to get dry.

I have two Horizon structures. One 10 X 10 stall, which serves as my "extra" stall when I need to keep another horse for a few days, and I also have a 12 X 24 garage that I keep equipment in. Both are very well made, and were much cheaper, even with shipping, than I could have gotten locally. I also really like dealing with Horizon.

My local ordinances require shelter for each horse, but I am considered more suburban than rural.