The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quarter sheets?

So this is kind of a dumb question... I got a quarter sheet last year, but I only used it maybe once or twice because I think I'm doing it wrong. What order do you put it on with the saddle pad and saddle? I don't have one of those nifty ones you can put over your (the rider's) legs, just one that goes under the saddle. Please help, as I live in the Great White North and my mare is a princess who would like to stay warm this winter

Saddle pad, quarter sheet, saddle.

I also don't use the quarter sheet until it is really freakin' cold and/or I'm riding a very thin-skinned horse and/or I know I'm not going to be working my horse enough for the horse to warm itself up. Think "Michigan, 18 degrees in the arena, won't be able to do anything besides walk." So mine doesn't get used much either, maybe a dozen rides all season in Michigan (and I may not use it at all this year now that I'm further south!)
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Nov. 21, 2009 at 09:47 PM.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog, Launching September 2015 http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

That's a good question - I've only used mine a handful of times, only when it's bitterly cold out. So I treat the saddle and pad as one unit, and put the sheet against the horse's fur to keep him warm. The girth goes through the quarter sheet, and then the saddle pad, but I could be completely wrong. Seems to work for us.

I have a nice Whitney one (orange wool with stripes) but it seems counter-intuitive - when she is clipped and I use it, it "walks" off her back and when she is not all over clipped it does not seem necessary. Meh, whatever. Like I said previously, I'm not big on winter riding anyway these days.

Like jn4jenny said, saddle pad, sheet, saddle. Personally, I'd invest in one that goes over the rider's legs or at least is very easily removable from horseback. They're really only good in a warm up in my experience, and after that you want to remove them anyway. I have one that goes under the saddle and I can only use on my old horse who I only walk in cold weather. My one that is over or under the rider's legs, but is removable from the saddle, I use on most horses as I warm up on especially cold days (I'm in a warm climate, so I only use any quarter sheet on especially cold days). But I guess it's really personal preference.

I really like my Riders International quarter sheet, as I can take it off when I'm on my horse with no problems. So, if horsey warms up, I can just take it off, and if horsey gets cold, I can put it back on. I have this one: http://www.horsemall.net/images/wbquarter04.jpg I
    It has velcro at the top for easy removal, and you can put the front part under the saddle flap to make it more secure, and less likely to blow around.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I will sometimes just put the quarter sheet on top of my saddle and sit on it. I only do this at walk and maybe sitting trot for warm-up and then I toss it on the rail to finish my ride. After I dismount, I will put it back over the horses saddle and quarters as a cooler for the walk back to the barn.

I have one like yours. I always put it on under the saddle pad but it does seem to make more sense in between the saddle pad and saddle. At least I think it will fit better that way. I use mine when it's 30 and below but I have a very thin wool one. I also use it when lunging. My horse is kind of funny though, he loves his blankets, it he could put one on himself I think he would.

Thanks for all the input. I don't have an indoor so I ride in the snow all winter, and we don't do much hardcore schooling or any jumping because of that. I had been putting the sheet on under the saddle pad but it seemed to pull across her withers so I will try putting it over the pad next time. Secondary question now - my sheet is a rectangle, and it gets scrunched up around the girth and my legs. Is there a way to fold it so I can avoid this, or is it just something you put up with?

I found a site that explains how to fold a quarter sheet. exercise_sheet.html I never really knew how to do it either so I'm glad I looked!
    Last edited by pippa553; Nov. 23, 2009 at 12:29 AM.

I use my wool 1/4 sheet starting october for every ride until spring but then again the horse I ride has a very sensitive back and gets ouchy if he's cold.

It's a non keyhole one; I put it on first then my saddle pads then my saddle, then since its a bit long in the sides I tuck the corner by the girth on both sides up under the saddle pad.
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

I have the Riders International one and love it! Although Ive only used it twice!

I put the "flaps" of the sheet under the flap of the saddle (over the girth and the billets)...then it comes around and velcros in front of the pommel of the saddle. Easy on, easy off. I can also put it over my legs.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

I use one on my clipped horse to keep his muscles warm while we are warming up or on a trail ride.

If I am keeping it on all ride, I put it on like this website describes. Saddle pad, quarter sheet, saddle. Front corners tucked between sweat skirt and billets. http://www.newrider.com/Library/Misc...ise_sheet.html

If my horse gets too warm, I pull up the back of the sheet and fold it under me in the saddle - in essence a "hamburger" fold over the cantle of the saddle. then I take the corners closest to the hind legs and tuck them under my stirrup leathers. This keeps the sheet out of the way while I can still school. This is what we did with the steeplechasers while galloping and it works pretty well.

On days where I know that I am going to take the sheet off, I will simply lay it behind me or drape it over the saddle and then sit on it. I then pull it off when my horse is warm, and replace it when I am ready to cool out.