The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default abscesses on face after getting teeth done???

I find this really odd. My BO had her horses's dentals done recently by a local vet that, err, has an iffy reputation for other stuff, I don't know about dentals.
    Anyways, she has an older TB mare that got hers done a week or two ago. Now she has had TWO abscesses on her face. One was under her jaw, and the second one popped up a few days ago right in front of her right cheek. They are not on the thyroid or even close to there, and it is pretty much a closed population so the vet does not think strangles. The same vet that did the dentals saw her and prescriped uniprim for a few days. When the second one popped up she talked to 1st vet's partner, who gave her more uniprim.
    Does anyone else find this odd?? Had it happen before as well?? There was no problems with the dental that the owner is aware of. She thinks it has something to do with the pressure of the speculum on the horse's face????

So one is on the mandible and the other is more on her face?Any problems with her eating after her float? Was this a power floating or hand floating? Any chance you could post a pic?

no problems eating. It was a power float. I'll look and see if I can get a picture tonite when I feed.

I use hand tools when floating teeth. I'm suspicious of power tools and the damage they can wreak. My concerns would be heightened when working on a geriatric horse. At least she is still eating and drinking.

I dunno. We have several every year come up with one under the jaw--looks just like strangles but without the upper respiratory symptoms, cultures positive for strep but not strangles, goes away without any treatment except the odd dab of Novalsan. I've never heard of what you're describing happening from a bad float, and I would want to be really sure it's not something else, like tick bites--which can abscess, before I said anything.

Hmmmm, Strangles IS Strep: Streptococcus equi bacterium The bacteria is introduced through a horse's nasal passage where it proceeds to attach to the lymph nodes around the pharynx and submandibular regions (the back of the throat and under the jaw areas). The lymph nodes attempt to fight off the invading and reproducing bacteria, eventually causing a possible abscess to form.

There are homeopathic remedies that would help cure this once and for all so you won't be getting recurrences every year. Contact a Homeopathic Vet to advise you.

For the OP, there is a remedy that will take care of abscesses - Silicia. If using a 30c potency then I'd give 1 dose, 3 times a day for up to 3 days. Stop dosing when you see changes even if you've not given all doses.

Homeopathy is safe to use with conventional treatments or as an alternative if conv. treatments are not working.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

While strangles is caused by strep equi, there is another strep commonly found in the horse's respiratory sytem: strep zooepidemicus. Sometimes the latter causes a problem, sometimes not. It can be very difficult to get a clean culture and strep zoo almost always shows up.

As for the homepathic recommendation, please provide even a single double blind study that confirms the homepathic nostrum actually does anything at all.

Everytime I post about Homeopathy, rcloisonne, you or 3 and 4 others have to jump all over it. There's enough research out there and enough anecdotal evidence that supports the use of Homeopathy either as an alternative or a complementary treatment. I offer the mention of it as another choice for people to make.

Give it a rest.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

I have a friend with a horse that has been popping abscesses on his face. He's had 2 in the last 6 months, both were abscessed teeth. They were not in relation to a bad float. We have an excellent dentist and he hand floats, not tools (unless no other possible option available). They both presented like this, and in both instances tried oral antibiotics, with no luck. Horse has spent 2 separate occasions at the hospital, having the sinuses and abscesses drained and then filled with antibiotics, as well as teeth pulled.

Both occasions the cultures were strep zoo.

If I were the owner, I'd have the pus cultured to see what I was dealing with.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.