The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Electric fence/solar charger experts

I am leaving tomorrow for a camping trip with my horse and am planning to keep him in an electrice fence corral made with the Horseguard tape (leftover from putting up fence at home).
    I don't have a portable charger as of yet, so am taking the mongo 12 volt charger made for 100 mile fence. Will it still deliver a shock of some sort without a grounding rod? Can I use a grounding rod made of rebar (I think I read that somewhere...?)
    This was totally last minute but I think I can make it work.
    Horse is mellow (stayed on a picket line for a week last time) and used to electric fence.
    Any advice appreciated!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

HorseGuard did introduce a tape last year that delivers a zap without grounding . . . but unless you have that kind, you need a grounding rod.

I wish they had offered that tape when I did my fencing. It's too expensive and too much work to replace it all but the idea of having fence that holds a charge even when the ground is bone dry or frozen is very appealing. Not to mention for portable paddocks.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

You need a ground, but it does not need to be a good one for a small temporary fence. A tent peg will work if the ground is wet, or you pour a little water on it every day.

Would rebar work though? I have copper ones at home, but have many 3 or 4 foot long pieces of rebar available at home from hubby's job...

Rebar will work just fine.

Nothing works without a ground, you don't have a circuit. Think about it like the marble circulators on a track -- each electron has to return to the origin (throught the ground) to release the next one. If it can't get back to the source (no ground) it can't shock. Even in temporary corrals, drive (or bury) a decent ground.

If the fence is very close to the trailer, use a piece of metal about a foot square placed under one of the trailer tires so it's pressed against the ground. Put a little water under it to improve conductivity.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams