The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What kind of mounting block do you use?

I have recently started riding my mare bareback to improve my balance and seat. Right now I stand on the side of a trailer, one of those with the low rail. That is in my front yard so I have to lead her to it, mount, and then ride back to the pasture. I would like to have something in the pasture to mount from. I already have a milk crate and thought about getting two more to make something step-like.

I'm open to ideas for other alternatives.

Thanks

the newest issue of Horse Journal has a great article about different mounting blocks out there

http://www.horse-journal.com/issues/...hy_1473-1.html

(gives start of article, but rest gives reviews too. need to pay or subscribe or find a friend who gets it )

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Milk crates are way too light. You can break things like bones using those. Mounting blocks need to be heavy. Really heavy.

If you can have something permanent, go to a lumber yard and pick up a three step concrete front steps. I think they cost about $35. Heavy as lead, will not move, and you can bring the horse up on the side that should be toward the house. They don't look bad either.

Another thing that I've used that doesn't look so bad in a front yard is a picnic table.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Default homemade "get-on" box

Hubby built me a three step box out of 2X4's and plywood. Heavy as heck, so not moveable, but allows me to haul my lard butt onto my horses without pulling them over. Didn't take the horses long to get used to it, even though I am pretty tall standing on it.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

I took a piece of a tree about 3' high and 2' radius and cut a couple of steps into it with a chainsaw.

I used to have a 2-step non-folding plastic thing from Wal-mart for a mounting block, but it got broke and I haven't been able to find another. Now I just use an overturned 5 gallon bucket or muck tub.

Can you use the pasture fence to mount?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I have a plastic 2 step mounting block that I bought for about $30 at a tack store.

Whatever is handy, especially when I'm out on a trail ride. Large rocks, tree stumps, fallen trees, vehicle tires, picnic table, garbage can. . .

At the barn, one of the staff members built a very solid "two-sided" mounting block. It has steps going up two sides, so that you can lead your horse up to it from either direction.

The top platform is about 3' x 3' so there is plenty of room, and it's heavy enough that it doesn't "wander off" like those plastic step-up mounting blocks sold in catalogs.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

a 5 gal bucket tipped upside down....

Dreaming Luke Guest

Nezzy that is one snazzy step! I usually use a fence, a big rock, and what I don't recommend is a plastic chair!!!

I use a step stool that I found at Lowe's very similar to this one (actually, I think this must be the "updated" version of the ones I have):

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-P2&lpage=none

I keep one in the trailer, one in the barn for grooming, and one out in the ring. They are very sturdy and weatherproof.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming Luke View Post
    what I don't recommend is a plastic chair!!!
    No kiddin'. I went to a riding school years ago that used plastic chairs for mounting blocks. Sure enough, it broke with me and I wound up face down across the saddle like the dead outlaw in a western. (It was a strange school in other ways, too. They made everyone begin lessons in a western saddle, no matter what discipline one wanted to ride. I started there because they were close to my summer job but I left after about three or four lessons.)

Anyway, I found a two-step plastic mounting block at my local TSC store that was being used to stock upper shelves. They let me buy it for eight bucks cause it was used.
    Now that I'm no longer riding ponies, though, I reckon I'll build me one for my riding ring.

Wow! Went out and played with the ponies and come back to lots of responses. Can't use fence unless I want to shock myself! LOL It's electric. I think I'll check Walmart and Home Depot to see what they have. While at Home Depot, price lumber in case I want to build one.

No large rocks, stumps, or trees wide enough to turn into stumps.

I once (ONCE was enough) tried mounting bareback from a plastic chair and it tipped and deposited me under my very spooky horse who just stood there while I got myself and the chair out from under her! Plastic chairs are for sitting on, that's it.

I have a three-step thing that is actually sold as a "mounting block", but it's really tippy. Don't know if I'd actually want to use it to get on a horse from. I'm currently using as a step for the secondary door of the mobile home.

We built one using pre-cut 3 step lumber.

I have a 3 step mounting block that I bought at TSC. It's not a creative solution, but it is very sturdy, but light weight enough to move around. It is very good for mounting bareback.

My husband just built me one using the 3-step stair risers from Home Depot. It's quite tall and, while heavy, can be moved by one person.

Mounting Platform with Removable Steps

When you've got a 17.3 Percheron, it reallllly comes in handy
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.