The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your presents to your veterinarian.

Our veterinarian has been treating our 29 year old horse for cancer and he is doing great, his quality of life is excellent.
    The treatments have been geared to maintaining that quality of life and we won't go there if that has to suffer any at all, not as his age.

I was looking for a suitable present from our old horse for our so patient veterinarian.
    I found a COTHer that does stained glass artwork and asked her to make a piece reflecting our veterinarian's logo.
    This is her web site and the kind of work she does:

http://www.equiglas.com/

That art work turned marvelous, our veterinarian and his staff were practically bowled over when they saw it and it hangs proudly on the window by the entrance.
    He called me back later to again thank me so much for that beautiful work of art.
    Anyone would be proud of this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1258721618

What unique presents have you given your veterinarians?

It's GORGEOUS!!!!!

What a awesome gift..just beautiful.

I love my vet. She is one in a million and takes such good care of us....I am just getting into the holiday mood and I am going to do a little serious looking at equiglas now.

I want to have one made of Dumplin'. In the spring when there is money again I might do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Our veterinarian has been treating our 29 year old horse for cancer and he is doing great, his quality of life is excellent.
    The treatments have been geared to maintaining that quality of life and we won't go there if that has to suffer any at all, not as his age.

I was looking for a suitable present from our old horse for our so patient veterinarian.
    I found a COTHer that does stained glass artwork and asked her to make a piece reflecting our veterinarian's logo.
    This is her web site and the kind of work she does:

http://www.equiglas.com/

That art work turned marvelous, our veterinarian and his staff were practically bowled over when they saw it and it hangs proudly on the window by the entrance.
    He called me back later to again thank me so much for that beautiful work of art.
    Anyone would be proud of this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1258721618

What unique presents have you given your veterinarians?
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Not "unique", but my vet is one of the few peopel who actually LIKES English Christmas cake.

So I make him one each year, when I am making the family ones.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

My horse is hard to handle for vet appointments, and my vet's lead shank walked off on him, so I am going to get him a nice shank from quillins with an extra long chain and his brass nameplate on it.
    -Grace

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Not "unique", but my vet is one of the few peopel who actually LIKES English Christmas cake.

So I make him one each year, when I am making the family ones.
    The gift that is loved is the very best kind

Just a funny to add.

I used to work for a vet and he always said the best gift you can give a vet is a well behaved animal.

(this is coming from the vet assistant whose cat had the BIG RED CIRCLE around his name because he was evil and needed the snake gloves and other ehemmm restraints)

Wow Bluey, that is really cool! I guess the Wine Country gift basket I was going to send this Christmas is out after seeing that!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgreymare View Post
    Wow Bluey, that is really cool! I guess the Wine Country gift basket I was going to send this Christmas is out after seeing that!
    Yes, I was so surprised, it is really prettier than the picture shows, the glass colors and iridescent shimmering shades and highlights and even to the touch, all is of excellent quality and enhaces the figures in it.

It really is so awesome that, as the receptionist said, "knocks your socks off".

Well, it was the least my little old horse could do for his veterinarian, don't you think?

I am sure a wine basket would be fine for a regular present.

Holy Moly, Bluey - that's nice work. This person is on COTH? How talented she is!!

I'm afraid I only give my vet and farrier a card and a gift basket or something. I'm truly grateful to have such great people to care for my animals (especially the vet - he's a real large animal vet and takes care of every species on this place)

Time to up the ante!!!

Hmmm.... she does windows.... need to bookmark this site.......

(sorry about your old horse though. Very sad)

Thumbs up Thanks for all the nice compliments!!!!

Yes, I am on COTH - many of you probably know me better as "Willie's mom" since Willie's recent bout of surgeries/laminitis associated with SCC.
    I really enjoy my stained glass art, and do appreciate all the kind words.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by eventgroupie2 View Post
    Yes, I am on COTH - many of you probably know me better as "Willie's mom" since Willie's recent bout of surgeries/laminitis associated with SCC.
    That is where I learned about this work, when reading about Willie, that has the same type of cancer our old horse has.

Willie went thru some awful times, had very serious surgery for that and three times no less.
    That is some kind of commitment there, that is getting Willie thru some of his nine lives.
    Other horses ought to, being so unlucky, be after all that lucky.

I wonder what present Willie's veterinarian will get?

I bookmarked your site - I'm thinking there are some fabulous year end awards for our association next year!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Everyone in my family is a gifted artist except me. (heavy sigh....)My father created stunning stained glass art - especially for windows. He did nature/hunting scenes, primarily.

For some reason he never sold any - he just gave it away or hung it up. The house looked like a cathedral - and when he ran out of windows he knocked holes in a few exterior walls and put in more windows. Just to hang his artwork.

Glad you're selling yours!

Bluey what a wonderful, kind and thoughtful gift..

I've always done gift certificates for dinner or homemade goodies... but I may have to look into something different now!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Wow that is beautiful.
    We usually bake a BUNCH of goodies for the entire vet office. My old vet in one year put down 1 old dog, the horse, and did cancer surgery on another dog. I am a big crier during all these times...so anything I can do to let them know how much I appreciate them I do.
    I am going to bake this year for my new vet (vet of 2 years) and new farriers(s). YUM YUM.
    Pamela Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That is where I learned about this work, when reading about Willie, that has the same type of cancer our old horse has.

Willie went thru some awful times, had very serious surgery for that and three times no less.
    That is some kind of commitment there, that is getting Willie thru some of his nine lives.
    Other horses ought to, being so unlucky, be after all that lucky.

I wonder what present Willie's veterinarian will get?
    Haven't gotten the individual vet's and surgeon's Christmas presents done yet, but here is a link to the picture of the large Willie suncatcher I made the clinic after his second surgery. http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/equiglas/
    My plans are to make a decent sized panel of Willie's head for the surgeon, then a Willie nightlight for the clinic along with a large tray of homebaked brownies/cookies/candy, and Willie head suncatchers for our two local vets and their assistant.
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Original Poster

Haven't gotten the individual vet's and surgeon's Christmas presents done yet, but here is a link to the picture of the large Willie suncatcher I made the clinic after his second surgery. http://s849.photobucket.com/albums/ab55/equiglas/
    My plans are to make a decent sized panel of Willie's head for the surgeon, then a Willie nightlight for the clinic along with a large tray of homebaked brownies/cookies/candy, and Willie head suncatchers for our two local vets and their assistant.
    OMG That is TOO COOL !!! And of Willie ! By Willie's mom !!!! I knew this woman was extraordinary but WOW !!!!Extremely Impressed !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Default Honey Baked Hams

I usually send our vets ( equine and feline ) HONEY BAKED HAMS !!! Sometimes they take it to their annual * Holiday party and/or sometimes they just get Ziplock bags and split it up between the staff ! They all have preferred the Honey Baked Hams to steaks ! So that is what I send.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I cook for my small animal vets and equine vets every Christmas -- I like to cook and usually do something yummy - a meat dish and a dessert or something else. I know they enjoy that, but that stained glass is really special for a much longer time. I've given my equine vet (that owns the clinic and has done my work for 30 years) a big stuffed Bugs Bunny because I knew he liked the character -- so he'd have company on calls if no assistant went with him. I gave a cute, wooden rocking horse to his wife at her baby shower 20 years ago -- told her to have it "vetted", LOL. My vets deserve anything I can do for them, they are very compassionate as well as amazingly competent and responsive.
    PennyG