The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default COTHERS in England Check In - Terrible Flooding

Want to know how you and the horses are doing. Something like 14 inches of rain in 24 hours and some places in Wales are under water. There's been a great deal of flooding here in Ireland too, but doesn't seem as devastating as England and Scotland.

Luckily we are on top of a huge hill and only have very soggy paddocks.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

We're also on top of a hill, but it sounds dreadful in Cumbria...just spoke to a friend in Yorkshire and their rivers are very high, they are waiting to see what happens over the next day or so...

N

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I've heard it's terrible in the Lake District and on the West Coast of Scotland. My flatmate's horse is on the W.Coast right near the sea so we're hoping he is ok. He's being leased out atm and she hasn't heard anything, no news = good news. Here in Edinburgh it was CRAZY yesterday - main roads flooded out completely and everything. A friend was saying Scotland has had to implement "new flood protocols" - not quite sure what that means. Today is actually bright and sunny here, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything for the rest of the country. Scottish weather is ridiculous sometimes. I'm organising a uni hillwalking club trip to the lakes next weekend though, so keeping my fingers crossed that the weather improves in time.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I just had to go into Slane and the Boyne river has exploded! I would say at some stage you weren't able to pass over the bridge. Luckily, most houses and farms aren't built by the river in that area. The river is in a valley, but further down the road I'd say it's a bit dicey. Not much traffic coming by us today so I would venture that the back road is not passable.

Something like 6months rain in 24 hours. And it's not like we aren't use to a bit of rain! Yeah, it's sunny here today as well but more coming tomorrow and I think more for us on Sunday. Glad the horses are staying out all day today - they need to enjoy it!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Jingling for all!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Jingles to all from here in California.
    Cloverfox Stables