The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Akademik Guest

Default Dressage Trainer in San Francisco Bay Area - East Bay Region

Hi Everyone,

I did a search on Dressage trainers available in the San Francisco Bay Area (specifically East Bay) and found that most of the posters searching for instructors already had their own horses. Unfortunately, I don't own my own horse. (Yet!) Could anyone recommend a great instructor/facility that has school horses and tack (i.e. a saddle of appropriate size - I fit a 16.5/17, depending on the brand) I could use? I have an h/j background but would like to explore Dressage.

BTW - I did look on the Bay Area Equestrian Network but I value COTHer's input/personal experience. Thanks!
    Last edited by Akademik; Nov. 20, 2009 at 02:53 AM.

Gina Duran - Topline Dressage has "school horses". She is in the East Bay.
    RoseLane Sportponies
    Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion Pony Stallion & 2014 USDF Horse of the Year
    Golden West - 2014 Bundeschampion Pony Stallion
    Petit Marc Aurel- FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

I believe Jill Munro has one or two school horses (Livermore). Nice woman, very correct instruction, easy to work with.

Katy Bouglow has a GP horse for partial lease with weekly lessons. He has an amazing passage, piaffe, canter pirouettes, 1 tempis, and he was listed as #1 GP USDF horse in the year awards when he was in his prime.And he still dose all of the GP fun stuff = I was riding him for a short time before I broke my leg (on another horse). He is quite an amazing horse.

There are about handful other horses for lease in East Bay. You just need to do a lot of leg work and see them personally, ride them to make sure that they are honestly what is being advertised. I rode some horses who were bluntly misadvertised.

Good luck

Yes, there are tons of lovely dressage horses for lease in the bay area. I lease a Friesian. Look on Bay Area Equestrian network. Also, Laurie Moore has schoolhorses (east bay). And in South bay I know of a cool schoolmaster Andalusian for lease at a barn w GP trainer

Feel free to PM me for more info

Akademik Guest

Default Helmets - every ride, every time?

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post. If you can think of any other instructors to refer, please feel free to PM me.

On another note - do you know if any of these instructors or local barns have a "wear your helmet for every ride" policy? Just curious - I'm from the h/j world and I was wondering what the norm is for the Dressage scene in the Bay Area. Again, feel free to PM. Thanks!

I'm also in the East Bay; both Jessica Miller and Christiane Noelting have lesson horses. C.N. is a bit far (Vacaville), but I'm going to take a trip out to meet her for lessons and starting my three year old. I think she's about an hour out from us.

you might try putting an ad on bayequest.

and re: trainers - it really depends on what you are looking for..... not all trainers are for all riders.

as for helmets: it kind of depends. I know La Jolla had a helmet rule, but it is very barn specific.

good luck!