The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sort of a silly question.....But, What Do I wear?

Im going out to a really nice show barn on Tuesday to spend the day shadowing a trainer/rider. What do I wear? I would just wear my breeches and tall boots, but I dont want to come across as looking like I am expecting to ride while I am there (I'm honestly not expecting to ride). At the same time, I want to be prepared in case I am possibly offered the chance to get on a horse (No way am I turning that offer down! )
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Pressed khakis, polished paddock boots, and depending on the weather, either a polo or a collared shirt and sweater. Minimal jewelry and subtle colors.

You can have your hat, hairnet, and half chaps in the car, but this way you won't look like you're expecting anything (not a good plan).
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I agree with Trixie--I'd have your stuff ready and available in the car, but not come wearing all of it so as to not portray the wrong idea. I'd wear nice, dark jeans with polished paddock boots and, depending on the weather, a polo shirt with a sweater over it. Also ditto Trixie on the light jewelry and make-up. Have fun!

Sorry guys, I have to add a little bit of a twist: Im 15, so I dont have a car and I dont own paddock boots (well, I do, but they are 2 sizes too small). I always ride in tall boots, so I have no need for paddock boots (and I dont think I will get a chance to go to the tack store tonight or tomorrow to buy any). Would it create a bad first impression to wear my tall boots?
    "To do something that you feel in your heart that's great, you need to make a lot of mistakes. Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes." -B.J. Armstrong

Given the choice between wearing tall boots and looking over-eager vs. wearing non barn appropriate footwear, I'd just go with the tall boots. Or you could call and ask what is expected. Some barns do have dress codes for staff. I wouldn't go buying paddock boots just for this though. Perhaps bring a backpack with your helmet, gloves, whatever else you need in case you get the chance to ride.

Wear tidy but barn suitable clothes, bring riding clothes & boots etc. in a bag. You don' have to advertise what's in it, but you'll be ready for anything.

Or wear breeches w/ dark socks and suitable barn shoes, bring your boots and helmet in a bag. Not as stylish, but less time if you're offered a ride.

Honestly I think it would be nice to call ahead and say that you're really looking forward to shadowing this trainer and you were wondering if there was a barn dress code, and what might be appropriate attire. I think the trainer would appreciate your respect and enthusiasm to do it "right" and would look good on your part. Good luck

Thanks for all the help guys! I think what I will do is wear my jeans or breeches with my "barn shoes." (And a nice polo/sweater and belt). I will take my boots in a seperate bag just in case.

I'm going to take a different approach: Wear your breeches and tall boots. What if getting on a horse is a possibility, but the trainer doesn't realize you have riding clothes along, and doesn't ask you to ride because of this? I realize you may think it presumptuous, but personally, as a trainer, I'd admire your initiative

And if anyone is rude enough to ask why you're wearing riding clothes if you're not riding, you can always say you are planning to go ride at your own barn when your day is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalter View Post
    I'm going to take a different approach: Wear your breeches and tall boots. What if getting on a horse is a possibility, but the trainer doesn't realize you have riding clothes along, and doesn't ask you to ride because of this? I realize you may think it presumptuous, but personally, as a trainer, I'd admire your initiative

And if anyone is rude enough to ask why you're wearing riding clothes if you're not riding, you can always say you are planning to go ride at your own barn when your day is finished.
    I agree. Everywhere I go "horse like" I wear my breeches and tall boots. From a show that I'm just going to watch to the barn when I KNOW that I'm not going to ride. I at least wear nice jeans with paddock boots & half chaps. Not sure why, but I just do.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectFit View Post
    I agree. Everywhere I go "horse like" I wear my breeches and tall boots. From a show that I'm just going to watch to the barn when I KNOW that I'm not going to ride. I at least wear nice jeans with paddock boots & half chaps. Not sure why, but I just do.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/im...milies/lol.gif

I have to say I'm with you on that! I wear my half chaps when I'm teaching because it keeps the bottom of my jeans from getting dirty and torn! You can always use that excuse.

To the OP as a trainer.....If I had someone shadowing me I'm not sure I would be shocked if someone came in tall boots and breeches, I would be shocked if someone showed up in Dr. Martins, Khakis, a nice sweater, and jewelry! I'd bee asking if that person had ever stepped inside a barn before! Of course I am not overly formal!

As a precaution I would also call ahead. I may not be formal but there are a lot of the older generation who is and I wouldn't want to offend anyone with my laid back attitude!

I'm also a breeches and tall boots only rider. I don't own paddock boots or half chaps or full chaps. I would wear my breeches and tall boots with a nice belt and polo shirt (probably with a long sleeve shirt underneath) and a decent looking jacket if it was cold. If anyone asked me about my attire I would simply state that 'the only boots I own for the barn are tall boots, it's just what I prefer/have (don't know about you, but I have ankle issues, it's tall boots or bust for me) to wear.' Good luck!