The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit suggestions for a strong pony?

Ever since I've been riding my pony, he's always gone in rubber d-ring. I've never had any problems with it, and he really enjoys going in it. The problem I'm having now is that we're moving up this year. The jumps are bigger now, along with rollbacks and halts. We're doing the Adult Eq. and Adult Medals. With the more difficult courses, he gets very, very strong. It makes steering and stopping more challenging, note; not impossible. I'm just looking for suggestions for a bit that might have a bit more breaks to it, but nothing harsh or overly strong. Something that would allow me to have more control. Anyone have any ideas for things to try?

Well, starting from a rubber D, really any bit is stronger. Try a regular steel D, if not enough go up to a slow twist.

I agree with the above poster. see if regular metal will help, and you could also try the addition of a french link or dr bristol (a dr bristol piece is stronger than a french link). or maybe a slow twist.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by Alterrain View Post
    Well, starting from a rubber D, really any bit is stronger. Try a regular steel D, if not enough go up to a slow twist.
    The problem I have with that is that he gets really bratty about metal bits, he does have a tooth issue so I'm guessing the rubber is more comfortable. He has an abscess tooth and the vet can't pull it or something along those lines, so he's on antibiotics but in the meantime...

Quote Originally Posted by theroanypony View Post
    The problem I have with that is that he gets really bratty about metal bits, he does have a tooth issue so I'm guessing the rubber is more comfortable. He has an abscess tooth and the vet can't pull it or something along those lines, so he's on antibiotics but in the meantime...
    oops, my post came right before you posted this.

ok, then ignore my first post!

how about a rubber pelham? can't really think of any other bit that is rubber coated (other than what you already have: a rubber snaffle)

you could also try using something like sealtex with a different bit, like something slightly ported, but my guess is that it would make the port obsolete..

ANOTHER idea: you mentioned pony. is your pony actually a pony? well regardless: how small is the mouth? if the mouth is small, a thicker bit is actually more severe than a thin one (because a thinner bit fits in their mouth more comfortably) you could try a bit with thicker bars (again: you could probably just put sealtex around the bit you already have to make it thicker while still being rubbery)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by theroanypony View Post
    I think this is probably the bigger issue than the bit not being strong enough.

Ride him bitless while the tooth heals. Or have the vet pull the tooth (the better option- unless the tooth is calcified to the jawbone, removal is def. possible. Even then its possible, and probably necessary, but will require a trailer ride.)

If the bit is bothering him and you continue to make him wear it (and increase it's severity), you are only asking for him to develop bigger problems, i.e. sourness, rearing, toungue over bit, throwing his head, etc. IMHO

Also, you could try maybe a happy mouth bit. They are similar to rubber, but not as nice. They have happy mouth snaffles, full cheeks, as well as pelhams. Im also cant think of any other rubber bits.

There are mullen mouth rubber d rings and full cheeks. The happy mouth also comes in a large variety.