The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long for culture results?

I'm in the process of vetting out a new broodmare and am waiting now for the culture and cytology results before we proceed. It's been a while since I've waited for these tests. How many days (or weeks) does it usually take your vet to get them back?
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Depends upon how your clinic is doing them; whether they are doing them in house, sending them to a diagnostic lab or a mix of both. The cytology takes a few minutes to prepare and a few minutes to read, so same day results. In our clinic, we plate the cultures and incubate them ourselves, so we know if we have growth within 48 hours (rarely longer, in the case of a slower growing fungus). If we have growth we usually send them out (although we sometimes will do sensitivities in-house as well) for the identification and sensitivity. Samples go out overnight, and then the rest depends upon the lab. Generally the lab has to plate and grow the pathogen and then test the sensitivity. So on their end it is usually 2-3 days from the time they receive the sample until they get the results to us. We generally tell our clients to allow a week for the whole process, but it can take longer depending upon if the lab gets the sample at the end of the week/over the weekend, what lab you are using and how busy they are.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Thank you! They aren't doing the culture in-house. It was sent out on Monday. My main concern is that it could take more than a week, because if it does I'm afraid of having to wait until after Thanksgiving for results. Of course, the purchase hinges upon the results, so my OCD self is finding it hard to wait!

Thanks for such a detailed and informative post!
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook