The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ears...is it safe to use ear drops

My gelding has been shaking his head a bit lately.

Vet was out Friday and sedated him to inject his hocks...so, I had him look at his ears.

Vet said that they were moist and a bit gunky, so he cleaned them out. I asked him if I should clean them with anything (thinking of my Opt Clean at hom for the dogs) and he said no, to leave them alone.

Today horse is back to shaking his head again, I was able to get a towel down one ear (which he seemed to enjoy), I pulled up more black crud.....He wouldn't let me check the other ear.

Now that you have the background......question....can I safely put these ear drops in my horses' ears?

http://www.shop.snookdog.com/product...3&categoryId=5

I have some here...ingredients are Lavendar, Olive Oil, Almond Oil and a couple other holisitic ingredients.

No, it is absolutely not safe to use ear drops. Just wipe to inside of the pinnae (outer part of the ear) with a clean dry or very slightly moist cloth.

Have you vet out again to examine your horse for headshaking as there can be several causes.

Horse has been chiro'd (had that vet look at it as well) and examined by primary vet.....Neither seemed outwardly concerned about it...just said there was moist gunk in there.

Thanks, though....you answered my question....defintely will continue to clean it with a paper towel and watch to see if it gets better.

I use baby wipes to clean my mare's ears out. They are just slightly moist, a good size and thickness.

I second the baby wipes! Get the unfragranced kind though.

Ah thanks guys...will pick some up tonight

Default Hay

I would NOT put any drops in your horse's ears. I can see drops going in horse's ears, the horse reacts in utter surprise swings his head around and you're looking at a new set of teeth for yourself.

Second, the cleaning with a cloth. In fact your horse will come to love having his ears cleaned with a cloth that he may end up pointing them at you when a cleaning is needed...ours do.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

No on ear drops! Never use ear drops without a Dr or vet telling you to do so, you can cause major ear issues. As a side note if he is getting that much gunk in the ears (escpecially that black discharge) I would have the vet back out to make sure there aren't any ticks in there. A couple years ago at our barn we had several horses start headshaking out of nowhere with that same black gunk. Turns out they had a soft bodied tick in there. Vet had to heavily sedate and pull ticks out, clean really well, then all was right in the world again. Depending on your weather is could be the ticks coming out.